Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Home is where the swords are! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Home is where the swords are!         Reply with quote

“Well, I’m back.”
--Samwise Gamgee, Return of the King

And so, after six months and two weeks at sea, which included, but was not limited to one hundred thirty five VBSS boardings (of which I led approximately one third), one rescue of an Iranian dhow in the Arabian Gulf, one surface engagement with Somali pirates off the Horn of Africa, more asinine paperwork than one man can reasonably shake a stick at and one eleventh-hour order to divert to Lebanon, run the Israeli naval blockade and assist in the evacuation of roughly fourteen thousand Americans stranded in Beirut and Tyre (when we were a mere two days from passing through the Strait of Gibraltar and entering the Atlantic), USS GONZALEZ (DDG 66) —and her extremely sleep-deprived Navigator—return to Norfolk, Virginia. Now, after pausing for just a moment to once again curse the lack of Jamba Juice in this strange, not-California place, I believe I shall go to bed for at least a solid week.

However, after I wake up, I'm going to have to find a use for all of this hazardous duty pay I've got lying around. Has anything good come out since January? I'd planned to order an AT/CF Venetian Sidesword, and still do, but the Albion Borderwatch and Patrick's new Svante have me wondering if I should reorder my priorities. Formerly out of reach weapons are suddenly within striking distance. Help! Big Grin

I hope the past two seasons have been kind to you all.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome back and thank you for your service. Albion posted one of their messer prototypes in the manufacturers section recently that's about the only really exciting new development I've noted lately. If I were being sensible I'd say dump the extra money in a savings account. If I was being a sword collector I'd say go with the Svante... of course I'm a trifle biased...Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Svante, Svante, S-V-A-N-T-E......................... Big Grin

Seriously though Sam, having been there and done that I know what it's like and welcome back. (although thankfully I never had to spend any serious time in Norfolk)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam;

Well welcome back and glad that " All's well that ends well ". And also thanks for your service Cool Even if it's coming from a Canadian.

Sort of make the Chinese curse of " May you live in interesting time " Eek!

Just reading your post was exhausting. Wink

Oh, the Svante seems like a good idea if you have the money to burn or any of the other Museum line you don't have.

Christian Fletcher has some interesting new swords like the Wraith King that is really appealing in a more fantasy type sword. http://www.christianfletcher.com/Site/Wraith%20King.html

Cheers.
Jean

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's good to know you are back safe, Sam!
By the way, Bill Grandy has an AT/CF sidesword for sale in the Marketplace here at myArmoury. Not quite the same as the Venetian Sidesword, but looks pretty nice, just the same.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. That's quite some six months. Eek!

Now I'm tempted to ask you for stories...may I?

Swordwise...do you have a specific period of interest? I'm going to assume general interest in everything otherwise, based on your comments.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My hazardous duty pay turned into 8 Albion Next Gen's. To me, that choice was more appealing than the Svante, but if you want the Svante (or any of the other Museum Line swords), then this would probably be a good time to go for it.

As far as new things, Albion has also completed the Sherriff, and they came out with another type XIV called the Yeoman. Call me a traitor, but I prefer either of those over the Svante. I'm not sure which type XIV I like more, but I got my Sherriff before they announced the Yeoman, so I'll have to be content.

Sam Barris wrote:
...more asinine paperwork than one man can reasonably shake a stick at...

Ah yes, the lovely trappings of military bureaucracy. You have my sympathy.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson wrote:
Call me a traitor, but I prefer either of those over the Svante.

Inconceivable! Surprised Big Grin

How does the Big Red 1 like being back in Junction City?
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

How does the Big Red 1 like being back in Junction City?

For half a second, I thought you were making fun of my choice to get a magenta grip on that Albion Sherriff, then I turned and saw the patch on my shoulder (yup, I'm on Staff Duty today).

Personally, I like Kansas. I'm only 8 hours from home, so I can drive there on long weekends (which I already did once, and it was great). I enjoyed Germany, but it is nice to be able to understand the waitresses and have them understand me. Of course, the down side is that I really need a car here, and it decided to die on me a few days ago. That gets in the way of buying swords. Still, it's great to be home.

-Grey

P.S. Is it inconceivable that I would prefer another sword over the Svante, or that you would call me a traitor for doing so?

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hadn't considered making fun of your grip choice, but since you brought it up......................................... Razz
There are a few Albions that I'd definitely go with a magenta grip on. I'm kind of getting away from the all-black thing myself.

Quote:
Is it inconceivable that I would prefer another sword over the Svante, or that you would call me a traitor for doing so?

I'll let you make your own determination on that. Wink

Now that you're relatively close perhaps we should get together when you get your transportation issues worked out?
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as "New" swords go. Well I am awaiting the Albion Vassal which I paid for through www.kultofathena.com over a month ago, I find that the wait makes this sword seem all the more valueable to me. For me, the Vassal was absolutely "Love At First Sight"! I Had To Have It! No two ways about it, no matter what I absolutely had to have this sword!

I think Patrick's Svante is one of the most beautiful swords I have ever laid eyes on, but unfortuneately it is way out of my meager price range.

That Lombardy Rapier that Arms & Armor has come out with recently is gorgeous and I''ve had the opportunity to handle it, this would be a beautiful acquisition for anyone into rapiers!

Welcome back and thank you for protecting our country Sir!

Sincerely,

Bob

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Home is where the swords are!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic