Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Viking attire (maille, helms, etc) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thimo Savbotta

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Early Viking attire (maille, helms, etc)         Reply with quote

I've been wanting to begin putting a kit together in the early Viking age. I've got a good idea on sheilds and bit of study on clothing and such for that era. I'd like a bit of input from those of you who have had more experience in this area to give me some good information as too maille worn and in what style as well as helms and any other particulars.

I already know the horned helm was not the norm and do not care to wear one.

Thanks for your help

Thimo
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thimo,

As far as mail you would want all riveted mail i believe.

For helms, a nasal helm, spangenhelm or spectacle helm would work. Ill try to post some pics later but you can see examples of modern reproductions here

For clothes you want a woolen tunic with maybe a linen undertunic and woolen pants. I'm not perfectly clear on how the pants should look but I am having some made for me. Paul Mullins who is a forum member is making them for me and I'm sure he could help you out.

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

here is a photo gallery for a maryland viking living history group to look at some clothes

http://www.ostvik.org/gallery1.htm

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Phill Lappin

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pants can either be typical european hose and braise or big baggy pants with leg bindings up to the knee. Personally I love the look of baggy pants with leg bindings, which can either be made of long strips of woven wool, felt or the best is tablet woven braid.
IN NOMINE DOMINE
IN NOMINE CONVIVOR
Phill Lappin

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also on your question of mail, it should be a byrnie - basically a mail t-shirt. Short to mid length sleeves and the skirt can vary from waist length to just above the knee, though shorter was more common and rarely had a split in the skirt. That came later when more combat was done from horseback.
IN NOMINE DOMINE
IN NOMINE CONVIVOR
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A helmet of either one of these designs would be aceptable for a viking kit.

The latter helmet is inspird by the Gjermundbu helm, the only specifically nordic helm yet found. However, a nasal helm like the first one, either of raised or spangen (segmented) construction is considered accurate as well.

A shorter mail byrnie would have been typical for a well-to-do nordic warrior, riveted rings of round cross-section seem to have been the norm. Certain chronicles do mention longer hauberks, a specific one comes to mind that tells of Harald Hardrada wearing a mail shirt so long it nearly touched the ground, so longer ones may have been a possibility, although this is mentioned at the tail-end of the viking period.

Swords were the weapon of the elite, although they were becoming more coming as history transitioned from the migration era into the viking age. Swords were used as gifts and rewards from chieftans to their warriors and the sagas often speak of men who seem to be warrior farmers having swords, so by this time they weren't strictly royal possesions. Axes were also prized and were more common than swords. Everyone on the battlefield would have at least had a spear, some more complex than others.

The shield pattern changed hardly at all from the migration era into the viking age and retained the typical round form. In many societies it was the shield that was the mark of a warrior rather than another weapon. If a man were a warrior he would at least have a shield and spear if nothing else.
Phill Lappin

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As you reqested early Viking Age I would have to say the one piece helm probably isn't appropriate. The Gjermundbu based helmet is perfect and really any other Spangenhelm with a nasal is fine. The irony is that while the Gjermundbu is the only true Viking helmet ever found, it was probably not the most common design, as contemporary art indicates most were standard spangenhelms with a normal nasal.
IN NOMINE DOMINE
IN NOMINE CONVIVOR
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

Viking burials really lack in armour finds, apart from sheild parts. Gjermundbu grave as stated above is the only viking burial consisiting of maile and helmet.

Heres a pick of the the original helm and shirt plus other grave finds from this rich burial

Attachment: 46.7 KB
Copy of armGjermundbuhjelmen (3).jpg

Thimo Savbotta

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thankyou very much guys. all these things I shall take into consideration. I really like this last pic of the acctual burial finds.

Again thankyou
Thimo
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thimo Savbotta wrote:
Thankyou very much guys. all these things I shall take into consideration. I really like this last pic of the acctual burial finds.

Again thankyou
Thimo

Shoot me a email and I will send some more in bigger format. I have seen a part of the Gjermundbu mail, a part of the aventail I think. The links were tiny , it was hard to tell because of the rust and carbon layer but they looked round not flat like most european maile.

Heres another pic roughly based on the the gjermundbu warrior, though the sword is not the one found at the site.

Attachment: 121 KB
rusviking_mid.jpg

Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thimo

I tried to send that stuff to you but the e-mail was rejected? I dont know why, do you have another address? Better still does anyone know how to upload them on the net so anyone interested can see them.

Thanks

Nick
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The discussion of attaching photos to posts has been Moved to its own topic
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Viking attire (maille, helms, etc)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic