Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cheap but nice Sword Display Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Cheap but nice Sword Display         Reply with quote

I just got an Albion Hospitaller (which I am VERY pleased with) and I need some way to display and store the sword without drilling anything into the walls. Anyone know of a place I can get a nice (but preferably cheap) display or how to make one?

Thanks,
Max
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm with you Max,

Since I rent I can't make any marks on the wall so I use (cringe) those white plastic adhesive hooks from the drugstore. Yes, that's classy! Eek! Big Grin

I still think it's better than those plaque things that come along with fantasy SLO's people have- those look AWFUL- but that's just my opinion.

Jeremy
Max von Bargen

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeremy. I'll look into it. How securely do they hold the sword, though? The problem is that I live in California, so minor earthquakes are a possibility in my area.

Max
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Look no further than Albion Armorers: http://www.albion-swords.com/sword-displays.htm
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you guys seen these PoB display stands at Albion: http://www.albion-swords.com/sword-displays.htm? I've always thought they were fairly attractive, and you wouldn't have to worry about holes in the walls or the sword falling from a height. Of course, if you've got kids, I guess you would have to worry more about keeping a sword out of reach on one of these.
Gloria Virtutem Sequitur
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Gentlemen,

Look no further than Albion Armorers: http://www.albion-swords.com/sword-displays.htm

Crap. I had to leave the computer for a while and didn't refresh the page, so I didn't see Craig's reply before I made mine. In any case, I second Craig's suggestion.

Gloria Virtutem Sequitur
Max von Bargen

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, guys. I'll be getting mine soon.

Max
Ulli Martin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm thinking about ordering a medium and a large PoB Display from Albion.
(the large one for an Albion Munich / Dane and the medium one for an Oakeshott / Vassal)

Could someone share any experience with the Albion PoB Displays, are they worth the money?

It would be interesting to know how the slit is worked out. Is it like a triangle so the edge doesn't touch the bottom of the slit?
What about the contact with the wood - guess that's not too good for the metal blade being in cotact with the wood all the time. Any thoughts?

Thank you Happy

P.S. Do you know any other suppliers for such "POB" displays?
I found this: http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs30/i/2008/166/c/...NSmith.jpg - but no related shop.
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a small PoB display I got for my Yeoman, and I think it's worth the price. It has a smooth finish and a felt-lined bottom. The slit is rectangular, about 3/8" wide, so the blade has to sit at an angle, which is fine if it's displayed below eye level.
"I never heard a corpse ask how it got so cold."
- Richard, The Lion in Winter
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use good quality string and tie it in a loop then slip the blade through and hang it on a nail. It is minimal and lets the sword be the focus.
Ulli Martin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
For wall hanging I'm using these little nice things:
http://www.swords-and-more.com/shop1/wandhalter-p-699.html
They are like scissors and holding the sword perfectly with only the two little metal pieces visible at the front. The sword is covering nearly all of the metal. And they're strong enough for my Albion Dane.
Regarding the string method: That's a good idea, I didn't think about something like that before. I prefer the scissor hangings mentioned above because the sword can be easily removed. I don't thinkt that's the case with the string, right?

Eric Spitler wrote:
I have a small PoB display I got for my Yeoman, and I think it's worth the price. It has a smooth finish and a felt-lined bottom. The slit is rectangular, about 3/8" wide, so the blade has to sit at an angle, which is fine if it's displayed below eye level.

Eric, so you don't worry about the wood contact with the blade? Or is the wood varnished?
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ulli Martin wrote:

Eric, so you don't worry about the wood contact with the blade? Or is the wood varnished?

It's not very smooth inside the groove, but there is a layer of finish on it. I wouldn't recommend leaving it for months untouched, but I never noticed any extra oxidation or anything at the point of contact. I found that the sword needed a wipe down just from dust long before there was any possibility of wood damage.

"I never heard a corpse ask how it got so cold."
- Richard, The Lion in Winter
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its about as easy as removing a picture off the wall but your hanger sounds nice. I have a few swords so my method works for me. Enjoy your new sword.
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually picked up a nice wooden case with a glass front off of amazon of all places. It holds 3 swords (or scabbards depending what you want to do) with some nice wooden stands. If I dont hang it up I rest it at the top of a bookcase or something. Works great and keeps dust off of the pieces too.

Before I had that I actually bought some cheap "wrought iron" plate holders, glued some felt on the parts that would normally hold a plate and lined up 2 side by side to rest swords on. Also worked really well.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan W. wrote:
I actually picked up a nice wooden case with a glass front off of amazon of all places. It holds 3 swords (or scabbards depending what you want to do) with some nice wooden stands. If I dont hang it up I rest it at the top of a bookcase or something. Works great and keeps dust off of the pieces too.

Before I had that I actually bought some cheap "wrought iron" plate holders, glued some felt on the parts that would normally hold a plate and lined up 2 side by side to rest swords on. Also worked really well.

Any chance you could post a link to it for our viewing convenience? Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The POB displays that Albion does always make me a bit nervous. Neat looking things but they just seem like an accident waiting to happen. Especially if children or pets are about and underfoot.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i made my own POB displays from stuff I got at ReStore.
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.displaygifts.com/sword_display_cases.html

and this for bats
I guess you would have to remove the 'ball holder'

http://www.displaygifts.com/product/item.php?...mp;item=76

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As requested. Its actually 4 slots I forgot....my mistake. (I use 3 swords and 1 scabbard in it currently. It comes in different colors).

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Display-Cabinet-S...mp;sr=8-20

For the old "plate holder" this is NOT what I used but its similar. I used 2 of these spaced out 4-6 inches apart and covered the parts that would touch a sword with some felt.

http://www.amazon.com/Economy-Black-Vertical-...B0030MR800
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I forgot to mention small steel curtain hooks. I bend the pin portion out at a bit less than 70 or 80 degrees to the hook; the portion that normally hangs over the curtain rod is what the sword rests in as it hangs. Here is the part that sounds destructive to the wall but trust me it is not, and because of the nature of the curtain hooks has to be done. With your smallest possible drill bit dill a matching angle to the pin portion in to the wall. If you have dry wall, plaster board or plaster and lath you have to do this, if not you chip the wall and just bend your hook trying to hammer it in. Adjust the size of the hook for the hilt end. I try to hang near tip of blade and on the hilt near the pommel to prevent accidental bumping off the wall. If you go with just the blade and your swords point of balance is 2 inches from the hilt it’s a bit close and hanging by the hilt ends up safer for sword and toes. Gently push the pin in to the wall by hand. Done right the sword will appear to float on the wall, the steel pin at the blade end vanishes against the back ground of the sword blade and the hilt end is hardly noticeable.
When you move or wish to move the sword some filler and a tiny touch of paint and the hole is gone. The same in wood paneling and a bit of brown crayon, wood putty or stained sliver of match stick covers the hole.
I have also used picture hangers but the hilt end is not as invisible.
I prefer that the sword hanger is to be invisible as possible but I really like the plate hanger idea Bryan, I have used the fold out plate holders to hold a sword at an angle on flat surfaces, it has to be a small hilted blade though.

David L Smith
MSG (RET)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cheap but nice Sword Display
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: