Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Linothorax question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Linothorax question         Reply with quote

The suggestion that 15 layers of linen be assembled, with the fabric rotated 45 degrees at each layer is something that might be interesting to test. But I would like to get a clearer picture of what weight and weave of material to use and more detail about how this was worn and constructed.
As I mentioned before, I have access to a wide range of linen canvas and would like Dan to see these, select the material and define the testing parameters.
It will be no problem to forward samples, which may also be useful when it comes to dealing with an aketon, jack or brigandine.
Rod.

Incidentally, since leather was also mentioned in this context, it might be worth pointing out that in Selby's "Chinese Archery" in more than one instance traditional texts describe a proofing test of a bow where the shaft was required to penetrate an armour made up of 7 layers of cuir bouillee.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are only two fragments of linothorax in the world. One is a tiny piece of layered linen found in a Mycenaean grave shaft. The other has recently been found at Thebes and is much more complete. The exact composition of the first fragment has never been published to my knowledge and the Thebes excavation won't be published for many years yet. All we know is that the Mycenaean fragment consisted of 15 layers and the Thebes fragment consisted of between 10 and 15 layers (only a very quick count was done just after excavation).

The only layered linen analysis I know of was done by Hulit during his examination of the leather scale cuirass found in Tut's tomb. The scales were fixed to a linen backing consisting of 6 layers of linen. The inner layer was a fine weave (64 threads per inch) of a "simple cross-weave pattern." (Hulit, p90). It wasn't possible to determine the composition of the other layers. There were also traces of a very fine soft leather liner.
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Thread count         Reply with quote

That sounds pretty much like a medium grade shirt linen quality, 64 threads to the inch. I can't see that offering a lot of protection from anything sharp especially against a point. More like a moisture absorbing lining to create a more comfortable moisture retaining micro climate inside an armour as well as offering a degree of shock absorbtion.
Shirt linen weights occur sometimes in arming jacks, but that is with a good deal of doubling and worn beneath plate.
Rod.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The problem is that only the outer layer was examined. It is entirely possible that heavier linen was used for the inner layers and a fine outer layer was used for comfort. There is so much we don't know about padded defenses in the Middle Ages and the deficit of knowledge in the Iron and Bronze ages is many times greater.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Linothorax question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic