Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Man, you know you're too into arms and armor when... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Man, you know you're too into arms and armor when...         Reply with quote

...you have bad dreams about it. WTF?!

Dreamt I bought an Albion Solingen secondhand and got ripped off. Got sent some cheap short sword that had been twisted into a friggin' spiral instead.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think I've had bad dreams about arms and armour, but I've certainly had dreams before about receiving my Albions. Big Grin
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Man, you know you're too into arms and armor when...         Reply with quote

Carl Goff wrote:
...you have bad dreams about it. WTF?!

I had several nightmares myself about one of my swords breaking into pieces, in a way totally unrealistic on the top of that... As if it was made of a really thin shell of steel covering a core as brittle as a crust of bread.

Then, I have been cutting with that sword. Never had any bad dream about its toughness ever since Happy

I dreamt of fighting with swords as well, but I guess this does not qualify as a bad dream since I wasn't the one losing the fight Big Grin

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When some of your dreams are a combination of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, A Nightmare on Helm Street, War of the Worlds, Gremlins, Pirates of the Caribbean, Chronicles of Narnia: A disaster of the week film including tornados, army ants and the whole strangely similar to the last Age of Empire game you just finished playing for 12 hours before going to bed. Oh, the occasional Godzilla guest appearance !

Lots of fighting, large armies, lots of running away, lots of hiding and best of all winning most of the fights in dreams instead of the annoying hitting opponents to no effect that dominated dreams when much younger. A certain degree of control over the dreams is really fun also. ( Lucid dreaming were mostly one knows they are dreaming and enjoying the cheap entertainment. )

By the way these are my GOOD dreams and "Real Wake Up In A Sweat Nightmares " are very rare. Oh, and this multiple times every night. Razz Razz Razz The scary part I'm only half joking.Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Oh, to be on topic swords & armour are in the dream scripts often enough to justify this post.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Laurie W
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know you are too into Arms and Armour when:

You start picking apart every swordfighting film and spot which swords used are out of period.
You start making lists of all the best and worst movie swordfighting scenes

When the armour in "The Messenger" might look "cool" to the uninformed but YOU KNow.
When you KNOW those swords were not 14lbs as one well known expert made a gaff about during an "A&E" showing of the film.

When you love "Alexander Nevesky's" use of period stuff but hate those gosh awful oversized wooden axes.

When you play all sorts of video games and just sigh at all the fantasy "coolness" knowing none of those monstrosities are functional in real life.

Laurie Wise-Fraser FSA Scot.

Kirby Wise-Fraser FSA Scot.& Son
Arms and Armour
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You Know Your Too Much Into Arms & Armor When: You bought your first sword (Arms & Armor "German Bastard Sword") in August of 2004 and since then you know you've spent $10,000.00 on swords, weapons, dvds and books! Eek!
OK, well it was my introductory year and I had to build a base. (Rationalization ) Laughing Out Loud

Bob
Thomas Beckett

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know you're too into armor when you're flipping through a games magazine and as you flip past an ad for a "medieval"-themed videogame, the first thing you notice is that the maille is hanging wrong, but it takes you a few pages to realize that you noticed that.

flip, flip, flip, "maille's wrong", flip, flip, flip, "...wait a second..."

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt... then it's hilarious!"
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
You Know Your Too Much Into Arms & Armor When: You bought your first sword (Arms & Armor "German Bastard Sword") in August of 2004 and since then you know you've spent $10,000.00 on swords, weapons, dvds and books! Eek!
OK, well it was my introductory year and I had to build a base. (Rationalization ) Laughing Out Loud

Bob

Bob, can I have money for a sword? Eek! :-P
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...when the display on my new car stereo flashes "WMA" and all that I can think that it could possibly stand for is "western martial arts."

...when my husband said that he thought I would look good with a pair of stilettos, I thought he meant daggers. Wink

...when we finally built our vacation home, the first event I planned was a cutting party.

...when we finally built our vacation home, one of the first things I bought was a longbow because I finally had a place to shoot it. (Still almost no furniture in the house, but we have 4 kayaks, a cutting stand, a longbow and targets, the important stuff.) Cool

...when I've given up eating and sleeping in order to go swordfighting (Sunday afternoons leave no time for lunch and Wednesday nights leave very little time for sleeping.)

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Bob, can I have money for a sword? Eek! :-P

Hi Craig, Gee I wish I could help ya buddy, but there's a couple Albions and Arms & Armor swords yet that I just gotta have and I still have no period kit, because I can't seem to stop buying swords and weapons long enough to put together a period kit because I am just too obsessed.
Although my spending can't be that bad because I met a fellow in Borders Books (a particular store of their's in Oakbrook, IL. that has a very extensive history section) who collects "original" swords and weapons and his swords start at $5,000.00 instead of $550.00. So I guess compared to him I am pretty frugal! Laughing Out Loud (Another Rationalization) Big Grin

Even though he did strike me as a man worth a few million dollars. LOL

Bob
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin "After reading some topic's in this forum"

.........when you take a axe whit you to a wedding. Laughing Out Loud

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know you're deep into arms and armor when:

-your boss says he almost bought you a cheep chineese knockoff sword on a recent business trip to that country, and you thank him for NOT purchasing it.

-You think of prices (of furniture, electronics, etc) in terms of "Albions" ("geez, for the price of that TV, you could get two, maybe three Albion NexGens" or "that harddrive is half the price of a Steward")

-When you contemplate getting something relatively frivolous that is NOT arms and armor related, your wife talks you out of it by asking if you's "rather put that money towards a new sword?"

-You drive your mother, inlaws, fiance, and her bridesmaids crazy by being VERY picky about the wedding party clothing while planning your medieval-themed wedding.

-You correct your colleagues when you hear them use the term "plate mail" by explaining the Victorian origins of the term.

-You can utter the phrase "I'm going to go polish my helmet" and people don't even raise an eyebrow.

-The first thing you notice about a medieval-themed computer game advertisement is the "rediculous" armor and swords

-You signed up on "Facebook" specifically to try and find sparring partners (no bites yet)

-When you see the local "boffer" role-playing group out playing tag with their foam sticks, you're torn between just walking away and laughing and going over there to give them a quick lesson in how it is REALLY done.

-You plan yourr vacations to stop at any history or art museum that has a medieval arms and armor collection, and while there you give impromptu mini-lectures to the other museum patrons, much to their, and your wife's, chagrin.

I plead guilty on all counts. Laughing Out Loud

Oh, and I've had several dreams where I'm handling a sword that bends, breaks, or is otherwise poorly made (I had one where it was as limp as a wet noodle, and I was complaining about what was wrong with it to someone else in the dream)
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You have a halberd hanging in your office.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooh, thought of one more I'm guilty of:

Before, during, and after proctoring an exam, you seriously consider getting a spear to hold while proctoring the next exam.
(no seriously, I thought it would come in handy, especially when directing students to go out a particular set of doors and turn in their exam sheets in a particular pile. Having something to use as a physical barrier and pointing device would have been really helpful. I wouldn't poke them with it. Honest.)
Carl Goff

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Allen wrote:
You know you're deep into arms and armor when:
-You signed up on "Facebook" specifically to try and find sparring partners (no bites yet)

If you weren't in Iowa, I'd take you up on that.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Man, you know you're too into arms and armor when...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic