Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Well an end of an era... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Well an end of an era...         Reply with quote

Check out Albion's news page.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vinland?
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I don't know if we should cry that there is one less sword we can buy from Albion or be happy that they are selling enough swords that some models have had their run ! I guess the value of a Vinland has just gone up if one shows up on the marketplace Forum and someone really can't live without one Razz Laughing Out Loud

May make room in the production schedule to get some of the new ones in actual production. Wink The Falchion, Messers and some of the complex hilt ones maybe. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, I don't know if we should cry that there is one less sword we can buy from Albion or be happy that they are selling enough swords ....
I choose to believe that this is good news for Albion and the collecting community as well, so I'm happy.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Vinland was released around November, 2003, so it took 2 years and 8 months to sell out its limited edition of 100. The Gotland and Clontarf are on the verge of hitting that limit.

The NG swords come in limited editions of 100, 500 and 1000. If you're interested in knowing which swords are in the 100 only category, they are:

Released --Vinland, Gotland, Clontarf, Reeve, Bayeux, Ritter, Poitier.

Unreleased -- Valkyrja, Kingmaker, Kern, Gallowglass, Vassal, Meister, Knecht, Dane
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bummer. If I was gonna buy an Albion Viking sword, probably would've been that one. Oh well.... Sad
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Bummer. If I was gonna buy an Albion Viking sword, probably would've been that one. Oh well.... Sad

I wouldn't sweat it to much. Just watch the classifieds and ebay, one is bound to make an appearance... or failing that the folks at Albion will come out with one you like even better.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree, the more these older models are phased out the quicker we might see some of those neat looking new designs in steel. Any way, I was always a Clontarf man myself Razz

Kenton
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton Spaulding wrote:
I agree, the more these older models are phased out the quicker we might see some of those neat looking new designs in steel. Any way, I was always a Clontarf man myself Razz

Same here. I'm glad that Albion is selling enough to have run out on this one. Now let's see them get going on the Dane... Happy
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I guess the value of a Vinland has just gone up if one shows up on the marketplace Forum and someone really can't live without one Razz Laughing Out Loud

I think this is an excellent point. Albion's limited edition strategy will probably have the most impact on the secondary and used market. People who want a particular model that is no longe available will most likely be willing to pay more for it. And on the flip side, those selling no longer available models can probably charge a bit more for them.

Currently, even a mint condition sword that is second-hand is a bit cheaper than retail because it can just as easily be purchased straight from the manufacture. When that option is no longer available it should make the secondary market more interesting. Big Grin

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
....I guess the value of a Vinland has just gone up if one.....

Big Grin My Vinland go's up in value each time i handle it Cool
I just love that hilt & blade, Thanks Leif and Peter!

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was tempted to buy the Vinland myself because of the fact that I'm from Canada, and because I liked the carvings on the pommel and the grip. However, the Viking period is not one that I'm really interested in at the moment, and I have to question purchasing a $700 sword when there are other Albions that are of far greater interest to me.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I was playing around with a Clontarf just yesterday at www.kultofathena.com and it's got a real nice feel to it. I can't remember for sure, but there might be a Vinland there hanging on the wall.

Sincerely,

Bob
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, Bob, the Kult of Athena webpage says that there is a Vinland in stock...anybody feeling nostalgic, or that just plain loves the Vinland might want to jump on that real quick!

Kenton
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Kenton, I go over to kult of Athena at least once a month and I know Ryan (the proprietor) pretty well and I can assure you of one thing, if his website says something is in stock, it is in stock! By the way part of my reason for being there on Friday was to give Ryan a $500.00 down payment on my forthcoming Albion Vassal with the oxblood grip. This will be my "first" Albion, I gotta say I really love Albion's early medieval swords, one is more spectacular than the next, take your pick you cannot go wrong! That Clontarf by the way, is a real beauty, I had the Clontarf in one hand and the Thegn in the other hand, the blades are near identical to my eye, but the Clontarf is a bit larger. Other than the Vassal, the Albion that grabs me the most is definitely the Berserkr, now this is just plain outright a stroke of genius of a sword! It just does not get any better than the Berserkr! Not when it comes to the Viking era swords, the blade profile, and pommel are nothing less than spectacular and oh my the feel of the Berserkr in my hand Exclamation OK, so it's expensive and costs $900.00, but in my opinion, it's worth every nickel Exclamation
Ryan's inventory keeps getting deeper and let me just say this, I have no idea how he does the low prices of his stock to the customer but somehow he does. I also bought the Windlass Steelcraft Pole Axe and it's $25.00 cheaper than on their website, it's very well made, the langets are the same piece of high carbon steel as the weapon properties of the business portion. So in other words the langets are not welded to the axe head, it's all the same piece and the langets are peened 6 times to the haft.
The other item I bought was the Paul Chen Bearded Viking Axe, but as Ryan told me up front the axe head was only mounted by contact glue to the haft, so I bought it, took it home, knocked the axe head off the haft, cut out a center slot on the axe head portion of the haft about 3/8 wide, soaked it in water, took a piece of oak the same width as the haft but about 7/16 thick and also soaked it in water, then I put the axe head back on the haft, poured in a lot of wood glue and then hammered and then clamped the piece of oak into the slot. Result: That axe head ain't never coming off that haft!

To repeat a message to one and all members of myArmoury, if there is something you want me to check out for you over at this store, just send me a private message or email and the next time I go over there I will be more than happy to check it out for you.

This website and the members have done a lot for me, I'd like to return the kindnesses and do this for any of you. My pleasure!

Sincerely,

Bob
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK everyone, please start buying Reeves so that we can run out that 100 and mine will increase in value. Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Well an end of an era...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic