Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Iron age weapons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew W.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Iron age weapons         Reply with quote

I am interested in British Iron Age weapons,primarily because of interest a few years back in re-enactment from the period.Myself being 'handy'with crafts,I have made replicas of weapons from the period.To date,a fairly accurate copy of The stanwick sword found by Sir Mortimer Wheeler.My interest now is daggers from the period,I have made one,the blade scaled from the find from Ham Hill in somerset,but with a wood and bronze handle as opposed to the original bronze and bone.I am now making another,again with a wooden handle.I have scoured the 'net' looking for any information pertaining to wooden handled weapons,and remember the artistic depictions done by the artist Angus Mc Bride,does anyone know where he got his information from,is there a source of information about this.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate B posts on this board offen, you should contact him. he's a good guy and knows his stuff!

also, check out this book. it needs to be on our bookself but i couldnt figure out how to add it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0714123234/s...60?ie=UTF8
British Iron Age Swords And Scabbards (Hardcover)
by I. M. Stead, Janet Lang
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mc Bride's drawings can be a bit all over the place when it comes to his Iron age stuff, so that is usually best taken with a grain of salt. The Stead book Chuck mentioned is the newest and probably about the best out there right now for British swords of the period. Piggott did some articles on the subject and a classification as well that you might look into. Seems as if a good many of the non-anthro daggers found were somewhat exotic examples with continental La tene II influence. I know that I don't remember the dagger specifically, so I'll take a look and see if I have anything on it.

Shane

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Iron age weapons
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic