Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > fuller edges and definition Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: fuller edges and definition         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am interested in the shaping and edge definition of fullers on historical pieces as they would have looked new. My reason for this is that I am pursuing a custom order of the Shaftesbury sword (XI.5 in Records) and am wordering how to approach the fuller.

I cannot tell by the photo if the edges of this fuller are met in crisp lines say as we see in most quality production swords today (Albion, A&A) or if they have softer/rounder edges.

Are crisply defined fullers somewhat a preference of the modern collector? I know that there are well preserved specimens with crisp fullers, but is this the rule. Did all new swords have crisply defined fullers and time and corrosion has softened these lines? Did this relate to the qualtiy of the sword or is our penchant with crisp, laser straight fuller a modern preference?

Could someone look at the photos of the shaftesbury sword, (It is also in SAC and Sword in Hand which has the best photo I think) maybe post them and give an opinion of the form of this sword's fuller. I want my sword to be as accurate an inspiration as possible but your help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Jeremy
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: fuller edges and definition         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am interested in the shaping and edge definition of fullers on historical pieces as they would have looked new. My reason for this is that I am pursuing a custom order of the Shaftesbury sword (XI.5 in Records) and am wordering how to approach the fuller.

I cannot tell by the photo if the edges of this fuller are met in crisp lines say as we see in most quality production swords today (Albion, A&A) or if they have softer/rounder edges.

Are crisply defined fullers somewhat a preference of the modern collector? I know that there are well preserved specimens with crisp fullers, but is this the rule. Did all new swords have crisply defined fullers and time and corrosion has softened these lines? Did this relate to the qualtiy of the sword or is our penchant with crisp, laser straight fuller a modern preference?

Could someone look at the photos of the shaftesbury sword, (It is also in SAC and Sword in Hand which has the best photo I think) maybe post them and give an opinion of the form of this sword's fuller. I want my sword to be as accurate an inspiration as possible but your help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Jeremy

Sorry, can't scan the picture, but they look rounded to me. From the description, some of this may have been a consequence of subsequent treatment , but I'd guess, from other examples, that rounded was perhaps more common, and crisp (like on the witham type X for example) less so. Just an opinion.
Geoff
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You see crisp fuller as well as fullers that are so blended it is hard to make out a ridge at all.

Sometimes one can assume a softening of the shape is the result of re-polishing during the life time of the sword. In other cases the shape of the sword has been changed by rust. Sometimes transition fuller-edge bevel was soft or rounded by intention as it was made.

The sword you are interested in probably had a softish shape to begin with, with less than sharp ridges.
I have not sen this sword in person, so I´m speculating. This character is rather common on this type.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jul, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Peter,

I am interested to hear of other forumites attitudes regarding fuller definition. How would you feel regarding a modern quality reproduction made with softer or rounded fuller edges? Again if any one has Sword in Hand could you scan and post the full length picture of the Shaftesbury sword as I would appreciate others thoughts regarding blade and fuller shape on this sword.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Thanks Peter,

I am interested to hear of other forumites attitudes regarding fuller definition. How would you feel regarding a modern quality reproduction made with softer or rounded fuller edges? Again if any one has Sword in Hand could you scan and post the full length picture of the Shaftesbury sword as I would appreciate others thoughts regarding blade and fuller shape on this sword.

Thanks,
Jeremy

A true copy of a documented sword that has a soft or rounded fuller as we think it would have looked like new is one valid option but most people with modern eyes would probably assume a lack of care and precision in the making.

There is maybe a tendency to want to be close to the original, but FIX, those annoying like period " flaws " or in other words an idealized geometrically corrected and perfected version of the more loosy goosy standards of the time.

In pictures of originals I've often noticed less than strait fullers, lumpy looking pommels and asymmetrical length guards: All things that would be considered sub-standard work if made by a " modern " swordmaker or even more by customs knife makers where geometric perfection and flawless finishes are the norm.

Age and heavy corrosion could be blamed in some cases for some flaws, but many swords are too well preserved for age to be responsible for changing them to what we see today if they were originally made without these irregularities.

Personally, I would tend to want the close but perfect version just because lack of symmetry would drive me crazy, but I could make the mental adjustment when the goal is making the closest to period reproduction.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have attached a scan of Figure 37 from Sword in Hand. I think that is the sword you are discussing, but I'm not entirely sure. Oakeshott's remarks state "It is in almost pristine condition". The fuller does seem to be somewhat rounded at the edges, but still seems to me to be well defined. Personally, I don't find this lack of razor sharp definition to be objectionable.

I notice that the blade profile becomes a little thinner about 2/3 of the way from the hilt to the point (?around the COP?). I wonder if this is from honing out some damage?

Attachment: 105.78 KB
[ Download ]

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Steve!

Though the picture is a bit small it is still helpful. I just think that is a really beautiful sword. I tend to think that this sword would have some taper towards the point irrespective of historical honing but I am not sure. Oakeshott does state that this sword did show evidence of extensive use especially in the point section which he described as "much rounded." I beleve that this sword would have had an adequate, though not severe point.

I am working with Craig to eventually bring this project to life but I respect the feedback I can receive on myArmoury so I will probably continue to ponder the various aspects of design as they occur to me. Having said this I have confidence in Craig's notions as to some of the specifics of this sword. I guess it is always a certain challenge to seek to reproduce a sword from a 2D picture.

The iron inlay in the blade will certainly be an interesting untertaking and I am excited to be, as far as I can tell, the first to commission this type of work on a reproduction. The diminutive nature of the inlaid script on this sword specifically, and the Gecelin swords generally present a special challenge to the craftsman.

Thanks everyone,
Jeremy
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
...Though the picture is a bit small it is still helpful....

Sorry, Jeremy. I was trying to keep the image size under the 125KB limit for attachments. The full size of the image that I attached should be about 4.5 inches by 0.85 inches at 300pixels/inch resolution - were you able to get that size? The original scan (cropped to include only this image) is about 8.4 inches by 1.5 inches at 200 pixels/inch resolution, but the size, at 165KB is a little too big for a post attachment. I can email it to you, if that would help.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > fuller edges and definition
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic