Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spado de Latos in the market Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Spado de Latos in the market         Reply with quote

I'm currently looking for a decent Spado de Lato, but I have a pretty limited budget. Right now I'm looking at buying one from Darkwood, but I just noticed MRL released a fairly attractive new sword they call the "French Cut-and-Thrust", which has a fairly attractive price point ($210). Of course, I am cautious of buying from MRL. Does anyone have any experience with this fairly new piece?

Attachment: 6.34 KB
spada de lato deo.jpg
My Ideal Spada de Lato

Attachment: 41.29 KB
spada de lato.jpg
MRL The "French Cut-and-Thrust"

Attachment: 22.93 KB
Spada de lato prima.JPG
Darkwood Spada de Lato
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, what's the price point of that piece from Darkwood? (with the options you'd want)
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah yes, the price point! Forgot to include this! I think I would do without wire wrapping (I might do my own cord, leather wrapping) or the blued furniture. So it would come out at about $420 I believe.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lets see...$420 for a sword that you know will be well built and to your exact specifications or $210 for a sword that might not be well built and isn't exactly to your specs...I know what I'd do but it is your money and budget after all. ;-)
Bryce Felperin
Member of the Autonomous Collective
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce-

I know where you are coming from. I don't really know why I'm having such indecision. I don't have alot of spare money, but I haven't added to my weapons collection for a while now. Its a terribly conflicting pull! I don't know why I'm really considering the MRL, but I just keep coming back to it. Man is just irrational by nature, I guess.

Perhaps I should just find a nice parrying dagger for temporary appeasement...but that sounds a little irrational as well.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Hoin wrote:
Bryce-

I know where you are coming from. I don't really know why I'm having such indecision. I don't have alot of spare money, but I haven't added to my weapons collection for a while now. Its a terribly conflicting pull! I don't know why I'm really considering the MRL, but I just keep coming back to it. Man is just irrational by nature, I guess.

Perhaps I should just find a nice parrying dagger for temporary appeasement...but that sounds a little irrational as well.

Well I have heard some good things on MRL pieces. My Salle Instructor just bought an MRL sidesword that is similar to the one you are looking at and it seems to be holding up rather well for him. Of course he doesn't cut with it much or fence with it at all, so I really can't say how it will be in a few years from now after more use.

Personally I'd go with a known quality item rather than an unknown questionable one, but if pricepoint is a major consideration, then go for the MRL and tell us all how it works out for you. I have heard nothing but great praise for Darkwood though and fully expect to buy a rapier from them in the next year myself.

I'm in collector mode myself these days and fully expect to own at least one good longsword from each of the major manufacturers (with scabbards) before I'm done. So if your passion is there, like mine is these days, then go for it. ;-)

The prices are pretty good for you to perhaps buy both over time and see which one catches your fancy for your collection. You could then sell off the other if you don't want it. :-)

Good luck on your decision though, I'm sure you'll be happy getting a new sword in any case.

Bryce Felperin
Member of the Autonomous Collective
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a Darkwood spada, a somewhat custom piece based on Del Tin's 2161 and with the same blade. It's a great piece, and I would highly recommend a similar piece, especially if you plan on doing some fencing with it, and Scott Wilson was very easy to work with. I'd hold out for a Darkwood. Here's some pics; sorry about the quality, they're from my camera phone.

Attachment: 79.09 KB
SSPX0026.jpg
Just to the Side

Attachment: 115.38 KB
Hilt Shot from Above [ Download ]

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Robert, thanks for the pic, that spada looks quite nice! I think I'm convinced. Now it's just a matter of saving!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spado de Latos in the market
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic