Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another smallsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Another smallsword         Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of an as of yet unidentified smallsword that I recently acquired. It is 36 1/4 " long with a 29 1/2" triangular blade. Slight irregularuties in the blade profile make me think that it is hand forged. There are no marks of any sort to be seen. Note the slight variance in placement of the steel "jewels" in the handle and guard.These are individually riveted/set in place. The tang is threaded and a odd-sized (between 9/32"-1/4") nut holds it all together. Any I.D. / opinions? W.

Attachment: 40.24 KB
MVC-080S.JPG

Attachment: 38.47 KB
MVC-081S.JPG

Attachment: 38.49 KB
MVC-082S.JPG

Attachment: 38.57 KB
MVC-083S.JPG

tweetchris
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William,
I have only recently began to study smallswords. It looks like a late 18th or 19th century cut steel smallsword--possibly British. I recommend posting this over on the "Cult of the Small-sword" thread (or start a new thread) on www.swordforum.com in the antique and military sword section. They have some very knowledgeable people who are passionate about everything small-sword related.

Jonathan
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. I went over to that other forum and the consensus is that it's a late 19th century cut-steel court sword, most likely victorian. I'll wipe it down to get the dust off and maybe a little oil to retard the advancment of the rust, but I'll leave it mostly "as is". It has a lively feel and I'm sure it was and is a capable weapon. Let me know if you want me to email picture files in higher resolution. W.
tweetchris
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William,
Your pics are great. I saw the post over on SFI's "Cult of the Smallsword". I thought yours looked like a courtsword, but I was hesitant to say as much as I have less knowledge of smallswords. I am glad that you were able to find the infomation you needed. If you want any info on preservation and/or restoration, do a search for "yet another sword restoration thread" (or something to that effect), and there will be a thread started by Glen C. that features links to some great info on the proper care of antique swords.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another smallsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic