Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Traditional Scandi-style knife, with a modern twist... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Randal Graham
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Traditional Scandi-style knife, with a modern twist...         Reply with quote

Hand made Swedish-influenced piece, very traditional, save for the steel and heat-treat, this is the first "keeper" prototype in a series of stuff I've been wanting to do.

This style of piece is integrally connected to the traditions that started me down the road of swordmaking.

It's available for $250+$15 ship/handling/insurance inside north america.
SOLD... ( email me if you'd like to be on the list for future knives like this)

I know it's not a sword, but it's style and tradition harkens back just as far as the ancient weapons we dig, so far me at least there's a deep and important connection. Love to hear what you think...

R.H.Graham
Swordsmith

Last edited by Randal Graham on Wed 21 Jun, 2006 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neat looking piece.

What is the handle made of?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats a great looking little knife. Excellent work.
The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Randal Graham
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Neat looking piece.

What is the handle made of?

It's a mid-grade curly Maple... historically this style would be more likely to have a fancy birch of some kind.
The maple is just "more me".

R.H.Graham
Swordsmith
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: very nice         Reply with quote

Nice work Randal!!! I agree the Maple looks really nice. I'd like to own one of those...someday.
Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Randal Graham
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geez Eric, you're more than capable of MAKING one eh?
Razz

Doc Mike has all kinds of awesome birch from his friends in Finland, and I was going to use some of that and go all the way with the traditional thing, but I just got a funny vibe about it and just went with the very first wood I got excited about when I started making knives as a kid. One of those wierd deals. Well, and I just so totally respect the guys I've met from Scandinavia that are traditional makers of these knives I had a hard time using the birch, it felt better to be "influenced" rather than just "emulate". Those guys are so incredibly skilled I really didn't want to step on thier toes, it's thier knife afterall.

R.H.Graham
Swordsmith
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randal Graham wrote:
Geez Eric, you're more than capable of MAKING one eh?
Razz

Doc Mike has all kinds of awesome birch from his friends in Finland, and I was going to use some of that and go all the way with the traditional thing, but I just got a funny vibe about it and just went with the very first wood I got excited about when I started making knives as a kid. One of those wierd deals. Well, and I just so totally respect the guys I've met from Scandinavia that are traditional makers of these knives I had a hard time using the birch, it felt better to be "influenced" rather than just "emulate". Those guys are so incredibly skilled I really didn't want to step on thier toes, it's thier knife afterall.

Yes, but it would not be a RA blade... Big Grin

I agree the guys in Scand do some incredible work, but as you know, they are very rigid as to the shape and style. Peter gave me the impression that it's worse than an ABS convention when it comes to these knives...row after row of the same thing. So, it's nice to see someone do something non-traditional, but still respectful of the tradition.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Randal Graham
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yeah, same as every scene though, you get a bunch that are wound up tight and all puckered up about stuff, and then you get another bunch that are just sincerely interested in the craft and learning and sharing and not much else really matters.
Some of the guys Mike Blue have been hanging out with and bringing over for classes and stuff have been in the latter group, just awesome. The other guys, i just say "yeah but our blades cut better" and it yanks them enough they leave me alone.
Laughing Out Loud

R.H.Graham
Swordsmith
Kevin Iseli
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Het Randal,

Nice work! I really like both knife and sheath. I'm also really diggin' your choice of wood on the grip.
Well done,

--Kevin Iseli
Elvenarts scabbard shop

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Traditional Scandi-style knife, with a modern twist...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic