Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Crusades Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: The Crusades         Reply with quote

Hello,
I am trying to find out some info on the Crusades. I know they lasted a very long time so it may be difficult to answer some of my questions.

1) What armor was used? It seems to me that it was mostly mail and plate armor became popular near the 1300's. Is this accurate?

2) What polearms were popular during the Crusades?

3) What type or classification of swords would be used?

Oh by the way I am asking about the Europeans. I already know a good deal about the Islamic forces but I now want to try looking at the crusades from the European side. If anyone knows of any good books or first hand accounts about the subject it would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot,
-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking in broad generalizations: Happy

At the beginning of the Crusades, armour would have basically what we saw during the Norman conquest: mail with a simple helm, likely conical. This what we see in the Bayeux Tapestry. As the Crusades wore on, helms with flatter tops came along, many with face masks. These were the early great helms. By the end of the Crusades, armour would be much like what is seen in the Maciejowski Bible, with occasional reinforcing of mail with plates on the legs, knees, etc and fairly well-developed great helms.

Bayeux Tapestry image:

Maciejowski Bible:

As for sword, single-handed Type X, XI, and XII swords would have been in use. Late(r) in the Crusades, you could have seen early great swords of Types XIIa, XIII, and XIIIa, and a progressive person might have had an early Type XIV. Since we know of an effigy from circa 1280 that shows a diamond cross-section blade, an early Type XV is theoretically possible.

As for polearms, we know spears, lances, and maces were in use as were what we now call Danish axes. I don't know that halberds, poleaxes, etc. were in use by then.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Crusades         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:
Oh by the way I am asking about the Europeans. I already know a good deal about the Islamic forces but I now want to try looking at the crusades from the European side. If anyone knows of any good books or first hand accounts about the subject it would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot,
-James

You'll probably find that most of what you have read about Moslem warriors during the time of the Crusades is bollocks. The weapons, armour and style of warfare practiced on both sides was surprisingly similar though the Moslems made more use of horse archers.

For first hand accounts try reading Joinville and Villehardouin for European examples, and Usamah ibn Munqidh for a Moslem source.
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan,
I assumed that same thing after reading Usamah's first hand account several times(I absolutely love that book). It seemed like the Moslems weren't too different from the Christians, but not knowing much about the Christians it was hard to tell. Thanks for the references.

Chad,
Thanks for the info. I am surprised that a type XIV and XV could possibly be seen this early.

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:

Chad,
Thanks for the info. I am surprised that a type XIV and XV could possibly be seen this early.

-James

James,
We have spotlights articles on both types that are worth checking out. Type XIV's saw most of their service between c. 1275 and circa 1340. So that could have put them in service during the Ninth Crusade or the falls of Tripoli or Acre. As for Type XV's, see the image below from an effigy created around 1280. The decedent actually died on Crusade; this effigy was made later. I saw it last year when I was at Salisbury Cathedral. Very cool. So they're possible, too.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Crusades
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic