Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Atlanta Blade Show Report Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Atlanta Blade Show Report         Reply with quote

I just got back to Nashville from the Blade Show which I was able to enter early via a VIP pass from my good friend Mike MacRae of Scotia Metalwork. Mike was set up directly across the aisle from Vince and Grace Evans so it was a treat. Vince, Grace, and Mike are about as nice a trio as you are ever bound to meet in this hobby, bar none!!

The show was a disappointment....except if you really are in to Bowie's (authentic to grotesque), tactical folders, and Randall collectables. Albion was there (in a back corner....grrrrr) and had some of their new prototype blades such as the Kriegsmesser and a shorter, almost Falchion-shaped messer. The Albion quality speaks for itself. Other than Albion, CAS Iberia, and a fellow with a barrel of cheap import swords, that was about it for swords. Oh, except the every other table collection of Japanese swords in various qualities and conditions. Nothing against Japanese swords or affecianados, but other than appreciating superb craftsmanship about all I know regarding Japanese swords is that it's a real bad idea to be standing across from someone who has one and is seriously pissed-off. Finally, many tactical knives were in evidence (big suprise!) both fixed and folding and the typical number of guys in camo and black tee-shirts hovering around the tables waiting for the terrorist attack to begin.

I think the dearth of "knife movies" lately spelled a lack of historical interest. The tomahawk thing was clearly on the decline as the Patriot movie has run its course, as was the Braveheart spin-offs. As a matter of fact I didn't spot a single two-handed Scottish sword on the floor. No Rambo knives and very few fantasy knives were spotted.

Of course, my interest is in things Scottish and I did spot four dirks (three beautiful and one iffy) and two basket hilts. Vince had two dirks, a rather simple brass hilt with pierced-heart pommel cap and a sterling silver model with a Damascus blade and engraved pommel. Vince also had the now "infamous" (thanks to Mac's sense of humor) ultra basket-hilt which was completely out of sight (meaning "WOW" not under the table "out of sight.) . The pictures DO NOT do it justice. It was clearly the best of show and only proves that once you think you have seen the best of Vince and Grace, they pull back and sock it to you with a sucker punch. There was another Sterling hilt that was plainer but in some intangible way more appealing that the inlayed model.. Maybe it was that the inlayed hilt was so far above the reach of us poor mortals as to be akin to seeing a gold brick!! I can appreciate it, but it ain't ever going on the wall, you know what I mean?

Other than that, Mike MacRae had my dirk reproduction completed - I mentioned this project in a previous post - and it came out terrifically well. And, yes, Henrik, he did get the brass back-strap on and engraved!

I hope my brief report isn't too pessimistic. I know this is primarily a knife show, but some of the previous ones I attended had a better representation of swords. period...much less anything pertaining to a historical interest. It was fun to walk around for a couple of hours, but, like I said, Bowies and folders.

Oh well, there is always next year and other shows. Sigh.

George
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi George,

Too bad the show was such a dissappointment! But you're lucky to have handled Mr. Evans stuff! I'd love to see one in real life!
Congratulations on that dirk! Now... Where's the pictures!!??! Big Grin

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps more will appear tomorrow, or rather today.

Atrim is supposed to be there and Tinker is usually at Bladeart.

There are usually several self inspired sword makers there as well. Perhaps not what you're lookingfor, but still usually there.

Did you take any photos by chance?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If Albion is up your ally, GO! They have all but 5 swords in their current TOTAL production at the show. I spent three hours at the Albion table alone just getting a feel and playing with them all. I thought Mike was going to start charging me rent.
Just to get a feel at these beauties that I have been drooling over for months was worth the trip alone. The Thegn will throw you for a loop and make you completely rethink Anglo-Saxon warfare. That sword can only be described as light and wicked fast.

Vince's stuff was nothing short of amazing. I got a feel of one of the dirks and was blown away. The baskets were just beyond words. You HAVE to see them to understand all that is going on with them. A picture just does not come close. The level of craftsmanship is just outstanding.

CAS has a good selection of their katanas out and the new coppergate helm they just put out that is stunning. They really did a good and faithful job recreating that helm.

Angus is sporting several longswords that were nice to get a feel for. Too bad there was not enough space to put up mats or pool noodles and test drive them.

All in all, II had a blast and really enjoyed finally putting faces to online names.
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Pictures         Reply with quote

Sorry, no pictures. I spend too much on baskets and dirks to be able to afford something as prosaic and useful as a digital camera Big Grin I'm sure Mac will make up the deficit. George
Bill Duncan

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Blade show pics         Reply with quote

First eye candy

Attachment: 57.03 KB
Pict0194.jpg

Attachment: 27.42 KB
Pict0197.jpg

Attachment: 56.24 KB
Pict0201.jpg

Attachment: 24.13 KB
Pict0202.jpg

May you live as long as you want but never want for as long as you live
Bill Duncan

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now nice folks

Attachment: 60.25 KB
Pict0195.jpg
Mr Evans and his great lady

Attachment: 46.73 KB
Pict0196.jpg
Stokes and his future wife best of luck yall

Attachment: 63.09 KB
Pict0203.jpg
And Gus with my sword (some day that is)

Bill Duncan

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgot to take pics at Albion table but Mike was a blast as usual danm nice folks over there.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures, Bill. Not quite as good as being there, but it helps me feel better!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos.

I hope more keep coming!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Back from the blade show. Had a fabulous time. Yes, it was wall to wall Kats, Bowies, and folders... but that's expected. Albion was there, and had some lovely pieces. I got photos of the prototype messers. They are as yet unhilted. I'll post photos later. I also got a close look at their historical scabbard for the first time. The fellow who makes them is truly talented. I held the Solingen again. When I hold it in the hand, it just feels like it 'wants' to cut. Amazing piece. I also got a hold of the Squireline Greatsword. A fine piece, solid in the hand, but moves well, which is always surprising for a sword of that authority. (You see a big sword, you think heavy even when you know better in your logic center.)

I got a look at Tinker's work as well. Very nice. He had a sword which I liked very much. I got a photo of myself holding it. It just crys out to be paired with a fine buckler, and maybe a Monks robe.... (MSI33 anyone?) He also had a very nasty little folder he calls.... the tactical spatula I believe?

CAS Iberia was there. They have a new sword based on the sword of Oliver Cromwell. They claim it's very accurate. And it was very pretty to look at, but I must confess it felt like it balanced much too far forward. It felt point heavy. Could be the distal taper, or maybe Cromwell had a poorly balanced sword. (My money is on the distal taper.) They also had a Yari I took a few photos of.

But for me the star of the show was Angus Trim's shop sword. It was a 1506, which he polished up and brought at my request, since I really wanted to see one. I'm awfully poor, but I'm going to start a cash sock for a 1506. I held it several times, and Patrick of http://www.parryrepost.com/ (Importing Lancelot Chan's Real Sparring weapons) who had the table next to Angus was kind enough to take me to the back of the room so I could really try out the sword.

I mostly wanted to throw Zwerchhaus, since I've never thrown those with really fine blades before. Anything with solid blade presence and you really feel it when you stop the sword as you come into the Ochs. The Atrim was a steel feather. I could throw the Zwerchhau as hard as I liked, and felt nothing in the forearm as I stopped the sword in ochs. It was beautiful. It was like a steel feather.

I also put in a few of everything else I feel the least bit competent to swing, Zornhau, Sheitalhau, a couple of very slow unterhau. (I didn't want to hit the floor.) If I had a pool noodle with me.... ah well. But then security got nervous so we stopped. But my thanks to Angus and Patrick for the opportunity to try out a fine weapon. Of course, I know that this is like thanking drug pushers..... Your first taste is free.....

Coming in a close second to the star was another like it, but larger. I belive it was the Danish Warsword.... the 1592? If I'm mistaken someone will correct me. A thrid was a sword I didn't spend as much time with as I should have. One of the LPMs. When Angus first put it in my hand, my impression was "That's heavy. What's so special about that?" Then I moved it. It's like you are holding a hilt. A slightly heavy hilt, but only a hilt. The blade isn't really there, it's an illusion. A very sharp illusion. The feeling is like you are holding a lightsaber. The only physical part is the grip, the rest isn't physical, but can take your foes apart. It made me mildly fearful of forgetting the blade was there, and having an accident as a result. Silly perhaps, but I put the sword down. I'm sure the next time I see one I will feel more confident.

I got a good look at the RSWs Patrick had. He had one based on an Atrim, and sitting right next to the Atrim in question. The RSW was just a hair heavier, which is no reflection on Lance's abilities as he did not have the sword to work with, only the sword's statistics.

Whilst I was at their booth, I got to meet someone I had talked with a few times on Swordforum, and generally agreed with. He had just bought the new Albion Talhoffer. I didn't see the blade, since it was wrapped, but the hilt was excellent.

I also got to talk to Vince Evans and see his work. One of the basket hilts he had starts to cross the line between sword and jewelry, but is so very tasteful that the line is blurred to the point you can't quite tell where it is anymore.

I also picked up something. Something cheap. Rubber sparring knives from Cold Steel. Nice ones too.

In other news, there were a few screwball pieces of work I saw whilst wandering aimlessly looking for something other then Kats and Bowies. There was a meatclever with a silk cord wrap like a Kat. There was an all steel crossbow with a spring loaded flip-out bayonet... and some other things of interest.

My feet hurt, but I had fun.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the show report, guys .... much appreciated !
Wish I'd been able to make it . (I regret missing the opportunity to finally meet Gus Trim)

Anyhoo .... here is a shot that Vince sent me of his '06 Atlanta projects!

Happy Fathers Day, all, & Happy 64th Sir Paul McCartney !

Mac

Attachment: 51.68 KB
Atlanta 2006 Evans projects.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny how Vince never has the most stuff on his table, but he usually somehow manages to have something unexpected in the mix regardless.
Mike West

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: How about the demonstrations?         Reply with quote

According to the Blade Show seminar schedule, there were many demonstrations and, seminars. Did anyone attend any of those and, if so did you see anything you liked, or disliked?
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Bladeshow as always is what you make of it. If you go expecting a sword show then it would be a disappointment for sure. Happy I tend to think of it as row upon row of excellent pieces of craftsmanship with the occasional sword vendor sprinkled in to spice it up. I was there for my fourth or fifth show this year and as usual was under a difficult time constraint. So much for the best laid plans. CAS had some interesting pieces this year as well as a booth guaranteed to give you claustrophobia, I'll include some pictures including that Cromwell sword referenced above. I had a great time talking to Mr. and Mrs. Evans and as usual they were able to set me straight on a couple of things I was either doing wrong with my work or was doing right but making MUCH more complicated then it had to be. It is always a pleasure talking with those two wonderful people. Mr. Trim was snowed under with eager fans when I wandered by his table so I sort of took in his wares from the side intending to come back the next day. I was able to spend a little time chatting with Mrs. Cashen (Mr. Cashen was off somewhere buying supplies). They had some very nice pieces on their table as well including a beautiful dagger and a superb hunting hanger. I got to spend a little time talking to Mr. Barrett, again it's always a pleasure. Rick is such a down to earth guy, just trying to make it in a competitive business. Totally without pretention and arrogance (a trait I might add shared by all the truly outstanding craftsman I had the chance to interact with at the show). I found myself stymied by a sword weilding crowd at the Albion table so I viewed their items from afar again mentally noting that I would come back later when business wasn't so brisk and I could monopolize them a bit. Mr. Pierce was also there with some items which I briefly handled before moving on.

It got late and I hadn't eaten all day so I decided to head on down to my parent's house in Central Georgia and stop back by to catch up with the folks I had not had an opportunity to talk to the day before on my way back the next day. Unfortunately a nasty traffic crash (not me fortunately) caused a stoppage on I-75 north of Macon Georgia and I found myself going back home via secondary roads through Georgia instead of making the planned return trip to the show in Atlanta.

This year I had every intent of purchasing an out the front automatic knife by microtech I've been eyeing. However the stellar thing about the blade show really came through. I was able to actually handle the knife prior to purchasing (something you can't do on the internet) and discovered that I didn't like it at all. That saved me about 400 dollars. This is also something you had the opportunity to do with swords at the show from some of the better makers. Maybe you really thought the Albion Sempach was the sword for you, but upon handling decided that the Duke was more your style etc. Don't miss out on the chance to wander about, talk to the makers (even guys that don't make swords) see the materials, handle the merchandise and generally have a good time even if it is not a "sword show."

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to a lot of the "veteran" makers this was an extremely slow show this year. The "no shows" as far as attendees go were more topic of discussion amongst makers, than those that attended the show.

Harlan Hastings, Mike Sigman and I discussed some of the myArmoury and SFI folks that have attended in the past, and weren't there this year. Apparently Russ Ellis showed, but neither the Albion guys or myself were aware of it.... and in general it wasn't that busy for either of us. Russ must have just showed up at the periods it was "feast" more than "famine".........

For me I got to meet some of the folk who's names are quite common on the internet. I was right next to Bugei, so I got to meet James Williams, and we had a few chances to chat a bit.......Very interesting gentelman.

Got to finally meet Kevin Cashen........ Every time I walked by Rick Barrett's table, he wasn't there, but there were two fascinating kat blades there, and an interesting fantasy saber..........

What can you say about Vince Evans' stuff? Sold out again before the show opened...........

Got the chance to visit with Both Harlan and Mike of Albion a few time............ Albion's booth is set up very professionally, and both gentlemen are pleasant to visit with, and talk swords over with............ a lot of nice edged toys at the Albion booth. I'd definitely suggest more of you go by the Albion booth next year........

Met about 1/2 a dozen myArmoury folks, and about that number from SFI.

The most interesting though was the time spent with a couple of ARMA asssociates on Saturday, and a couple of short encounters on Sunday......

William Welch, David Welch, and David's wife {I think I got this right, but after flying, I suffer from some disorientation for a few days} spent a couple of hours with me, over three visits to the table. Very nice folk, and we discussed swords and swordsmanship for quite some time......

Sunday, as we were approaching closing time, shortly after a longsword seminar, one ARMA associate floated through, alone... stopped at the table, handled a couple of swords, asked a couple of questions, exchanged a couple of minor pleasantries, and left......... Considering the "history", this was probably a possitive encounter.........

Fifteen minutes before closing, Returning to the table, there are four ARMA associates looking over some RSW trainers with Lance Chan's representative, Patrick Jones. One relatively short guy {short in comparison to the gents with him} wearing a pirate rag on his head, looks up at me, reads the name tag, says something like "Angus Trim? THE Angus Trim?"

After a long, disorienting, fatigueing day, my sense of humor popped out, and I replied "Not so much."......... The gentleman's face turned white, he practically fled down the aisle towards Albion........ His entourage left shortly afterwards...... Not knowing who it was, and somewhat befuddled by his reaction, I asked Patrick who that was.... and he had no idea............

Since I had to wish the Albion folk a good trip back, and attempt to talk them into Blade Show West this September, I related what had happened to Mike and Harlan, and amongst a bit of chuckling they told me they thought that was John Clements........ Too bad I let my humor get the best of me, I had hoped that John would stop by...... Its been my experience that once two guys talk face to face, old internet squabbles kind of fade away.......

Maybe next year.........

swords are fun
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think travel costs kept some of us away this year. Did me anyway. Just didn't have the cash this year and from the ways things are going, unless I find some other line of work I probably won't have much cash until I get my son out of the house.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Since I had to wish the Albion folk a good trip back, and attempt to talk them into Blade Show West this September, I related what had happened to Mike and Harlan, and amongst a bit of chuckling they told me they thought that was John Clements........ Too bad I let my humor get the best of me, I had hoped that John would stop by...... Its been my experience that once two guys talk face to face, old internet squabbles kind of fade away.......

Maybe next year.........

Yes humour on the web doesn't always produce good results or get taken the right way. Razz

To me there are two types of sarcasms: The friendly teasing kind and the knife in the kidney mean spirited kind. Eek!
Face to face the two don't get taken for the other, and bad misunderstandings are more easily avoided.

( Edited: Removed a joke that was aimed at NO one but that could be read in a way that might be extremely illustrative of how " humour " friendly sarcasm could be taken badly: Sort of a joke in a joke in a joke a bit like those Russian dolls that get smaller and smaller. The problem is that read one way it's funny, I think, read by someone not getting the joke it could be taken badly ! My example may have just been TOO good for my own good. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 19 Jun, 2006 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword in the center of the first photo posted by Russ is the one I was told was based on the sword of Oliver Cromwell.

Angus, would it be an invasion of privacy to ask what you and James Williams talked about? That seems like an interchange worth relating.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:

Angus, would it be an invasion of privacy to ask what you and James Williams talked about? That seems like an interchange worth relating.

Hi George

There's not much of import to relate really. We talked a bit about the myths of swords, including the myth that swords should be able to cut cinder blocks and break helmets on poles without damage to the sword..........

Discussed similarities between Japanese and western sword arts.......... discussed the sword market......... discussed the show, and other events............ I think that Bugei may becoming to Blade Show West this year too, though he isn't entirely sure......

He talked about the Russian art he's practicing now, and, you know, things like that......... In other words, nothing important, really, just interesting..............

swords are fun

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Atlanta Blade Show Report
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: