Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New custom piece from OlliN: Wallace-Records Xa1 Mark II Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Matthew Grzybowski
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: New custom piece from OlliN: Wallace-Records Xa1 Mark II         Reply with quote

We finished up this piece the other week from our custom shop. Here is the Wallace-Records Xa1 Mark II.

This piece was based on and was constructed in the same way as the Wallace-Records Xa.1. However it's main difference is in the balance. Following the customer's desire for a balance point that is closer to the hilt, many changes were done that effected the weight distribution.

Weight: 3lb 4oz
Over All Length: 40.5"
Blade Length: 33.68"
Center of Percussion: 22.25" from guard
Point of Balance: 3.74"
Thickness of Blade: 1/4"

Blade: 1075 steel
Grip: wood, leather covering
Guard: steel
Pommel: steel

More info and pictures of this piece can be found on our website www.ollinsworddesign.com.

Best,

Matt

OlliN Sword Design
Handmade collectible arms, custom swords, and sculpture
www.ollinsworddesign.com
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Spiffy.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice! I think that I am seeing some subtle changes to the shapes. Pommel looks hollow ground on Mark I, but not on Mark II. Cross profile seems more concave on Mark II than on Mark I. Can't tell what may or may not be different between the two blades.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice. Cool Maybe the hollow grinding is deeper on this one as well as the distal taper might be greater.

hard to tell without going to see the other one an comparing pictures: More dramatic lighting can also change the look of things.

Nice photography IMHO. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

You're right in that this pommel doesn't have concave attributes the first sword had. The extra material here aided in pulling back the balance point. This guard is also more waisted as the customer requested.

There are some subtle variations between the two blades. The first one was actually a little longer than the second, the base of the fuller isn't quite as deep, the fuller is a little narrower throughout the length of the blade, and the blade was ground with a smaller diameter contact wheel.

Thanks for the comments on the photography, by the way.

Mark

www.ollinsworddesign.com
Matthew Grzybowski
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Joe, Steve, and Jean very much for the kind words. It is always very appreciated.

Best,

Matt

OlliN Sword Design
Handmade collectible arms, custom swords, and sculpture
www.ollinsworddesign.com
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! I liked the first one, but this one is really nice. I was actually just at the Wallace museum and the pommel on mark II is very close to the original! I wish I could have taken photographs there. Great work again guys!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Wow! I liked the first one, but this one is really nice. I was actually just at the Wallace museum and the pommel on mark II is very close to the original! I wish I could have taken photographs there. Great work again guys!

Really! That's great to hear Tim and thanks for passing it along. That pommel was really sort of mandated by the design constraints. Based on information I had gathered about the sword I believe that the balance point had to be moved closer to the hilt to make the sword handle more like the original. Mark played with several options but eventually was pretty much forced to add a more massive pommel to bring the balance point back. I had no pictures of the pommel from the side, but only from the "flat" side" so I had no idea if it was accurate or not but really had no other choice. It's nice to hear some confirmation that this one is pretty close.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also should mention that Mark and Matt are great guys to work with. They try very hard to meet the customer's expectations and in this case took a substantial loss on this sword in order to make sure that I am satisfied with it. To which I can emphatically say that I am very much satisfied with this sword and would not hesitate to do business with this excellent outfit again.

I will go into more detail on that when I post my own review of the sword later. (Sorry guys I would have done it sooner but June is a REALLY busy month for me)

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work, guys.

And congratulations, Russ! When you get a scabbard made, you'll have to post some pictures. Or will this end up being one of those cases where the cobler's children have to go unshod?

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Nice work, guys.

And congratulations, Russ! When you get a scabbard made, you'll have to post some pictures. Or will this end up being one of those cases where the cobler's children have to go unshod?

-Grey

Lol, probably. I really ought to make some scabbards for my swords, but when it's a choice of spending an hour making a scabbard I get paid for or spending an hour making a scabbard I'm paying for... Happy

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:

Really! That's great to hear Tim and thanks for passing it along. That pommel was really sort of mandated by the design constraints. Based on information I had gathered about the sword I believe that the balance point had to be moved closer to the hilt to make the sword handle more like the original. Mark played with several options but eventually was pretty much forced to add a more massive pommel to bring the balance point back. I had no pictures of the pommel from the side, but only from the "flat" side" so I had no idea if it was accurate or not but really had no other choice. It's nice to hear some confirmation that this one is pretty close.

Russ-

I spent about a half hour in front of this sword trying to commit every detail to memory as I would eventually like a repro made myself. The only difference I can see between this one and the original is that the circles on the flat face of the pommel are slightly offset towards the top in the original, and the bottom of the pommel where it meets the grip seems to be a bit flatter. It almost looks the the shape of a balloon with the bottom cut off, if that makes sense. The thickness of the pommel seems dead on though. I was surprised by how the pommel was almost round from the side, but it makes sense in the handling. Altogether, this one looks like the best version I've ever seen. No surprise there though, I know how good the guys at Ollin are......
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting how much the character of the pommel changed from Mark I to II. The new one definitely has a Type I look, unlike the Type J of the original and the Mark I.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:
Nice work, guys.

-Grey

Lol, probably. I really ought to make some scabbards for my swords, but when it's a choice of spending an hour making a scabbard I get paid for or spending an hour making a scabbard I'm paying for... Happy

Better than paying someone else to do it I guess, and you should be able to easily know exactly what the client wants. Big Grin

Oh, I'm getting " verified " by Paypall so my spending limit will get " unblocked " should make paying for a Rondel scabbard easier to do. Craig says that the Rondel should be ready in a couple of months. ( I' ll confirm the order with you at that time to make it official and have Craig ship to directly to you. Start thinking of designs. Wink )

( Edited: Oh, great sword, congratulations and i look forward to reading a review here or on your site. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Russ-

I spent about a half hour in front of this sword trying to commit every detail to memory as I would eventually like a repro made myself. The only difference I can see between this one and the original is that the circles on the flat face of the pommel are slightly offset towards the top in the original, and the bottom of the pommel where it meets the grip seems to be a bit flatter. It almost looks the the shape of a balloon with the bottom cut off, if that makes sense. The thickness of the pommel seems dead on though. I was surprised by how the pommel was almost round from the side, but it makes sense in the handling. Altogether, this one looks like the best version I've ever seen. No surprise there though, I know how good the guys at Ollin are......

Hey Tim,

I totally agree about the pommel face offsets, I had noted that myself. I was willing to give a little on that point though to try to make it a bit easier on Mark. Happy He had already gone WELL above and beyond the call of duty for this particular piece and I was much more interested in getting the functional aspects of the sword right along with the general aesthetic. I really am appreciative of your insight on the pommel shape and am just tickled that as it turns out it was a better reproduction then we knew. The Mark I had a much flatter as Chad noted type I sort of look to it, what we more generally think of as a "wheel" type. That type just could not bring the balance point back far enough though even when Mark and removed all of the material he felt he safely could from the blade. We knew we had the dimensions on the blade pretty much spot on. Our only option really was to add a bit of mass to the pommel and since we knew what the pommel looked like from straight on the only option was to add "thickness" to the pommel. Very cool how form follows function.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

( Edited: Oh, great sword, congratulations and i look forward to reading a review here or on your site. )

Thanks Jean, and thanks for the heads up!

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
The Mark I had a much flatter as Chad noted type I sort of look to it, what we more generally think of as a "wheel" type. That type just could not bring the balance point back far enough though even when Mark and removed all of the material he felt he safely could from the blade. We knew we had the dimensions on the blade pretty much spot on. Our only option really was to add a bit of mass to the pommel and since we knew what the pommel looked like from straight on the only option was to add "thickness" to the pommel. Very cool how form follows function.

Oakeshott lists the pommel of the original as Type J:

Rather than Type I:

Type J has the hollowed faces that the Mark I had. Type I (and the Mark II) doesn't. It's too bad you couldn't keep the shape of the pommel closer to the original. When I was at the Wallace collection, I thought I remembered the faces of the original's pommel being hollowed like a Type J.

Mark I:

Mark II:

Happy

ChadA

Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: wallace         Reply with quote

It's a while since I was last there, but I thought it looked closer to the second than the first version, wrt the pommel. The pommel highlights in the photograph also don't look like a curved surface. Oakeshott was known to change his mind on such things.
Geoff
Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually still have the original pommel in the shop, so here's a a side view for a little better comparison between the two.

I also tried experimenting with a pommel that was somewhere between the two, making a pommel with a less severe hollowed bevel to it, but even that had more effect on the balance point than I was expecting.

Mark

Attachment: 72.86 KB
Picture 118.jpg

Attachment: 9.12 KB
Picture 104.jpg

www.ollinsworddesign.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: wallace         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
It's a while since I was last there, but I thought it looked closer to the second than the first version, wrt the pommel. The pommel highlights in the photograph also don't look like a curved surface. Oakeshott was known to change his mind on such things.
Geoff

Could be. Oakeshott did change his mind in cases where things where on the line between types. I'd think that J and I are different enough, though that you wouldn't get the two confused too easily: The bevels are either hollowed or they aren't. Happy

I'd be curious to see how much moving the raised section of the pommel more toward the top (like the original) would affect the overall balance. There are many pommels whose main discs aren't the same thickness at the top as at the bottom or the middle or whose bosses were not centered. I'm sure that wasn't done randomly.

Also, how close is the tang shape and thickness to the original? That could have an effect on balance as well.

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New custom piece from OlliN: Wallace-Records Xa1 Mark II
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: