Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Iron Age Plate-why so late? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Hinman wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
It is virtually impossible to cut through mail and its associated padding with a single handed sword.

That's my point.. If there was no good arm/leg protection in the form of plate at that point and time (though now I see there was, though shields are not a passive form of defence as armour is), you would switch to save those areas once left unprotected. Of course, this theory doesn't hold very much water, I was just throwing it out there to see how much water it actually does hold.

The 'shield to protect the arm' idea works somewhat, but with any fighter there is often a concern for the protection of the weapon-holding arm itself. And given my (quite possibly wrong) impression that Roman and Greek shields were less mobile in their use than Medieval shields, it seems more likely that the main arm would be more open to attack...

Just my 2d

An archetypal cylindrical scutum is not much good for protecting the sword arm - the deep curve and its size are substantial limitations. An apsis is big, and not light; but Viking age shields did exist in similar size, and the moves shown on Greek and Viking era artwork suggest similar tactics. I suspect a hoplite could reasonably defend his sword arm, although not (perhaps) as well as a Renaissance sword + buckler man.
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@Matthew Amt: I see Big Grin I figured that those would probably very rare items, maybe only worn by the wealthiest hoplites.
Thx for taking that pic Big Grin

On the shield issue:
Both the Greek Hoplon and the Roman Scutum were intended to be used within a phalanx or something similar. That means there's always someone protecting your right. Greek hoplites usually sought for as much cover as possible behind the left shield-part of their fellow comrades to the right.
An isolated hoplite could very well be killed by a lighter armed and faster Peltast. This happened on several occasions during the Peloponnesian War. Small groups of Hoplites in small and rocky valleys got ambushed and killed by Peltasts. On the other hand on the open battlefield in close formation the Peltasts had to run from the hoplites as fast as possible Wink
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Both the Greek Hoplon and...

Not to be picky (well, maybe a little) but HOPLON isn't the correct term for Greek shields. ASPIS or SAKOS are the words to use. The Classical Greek round shield being discussed here is called an ASPIS. HOPLON means "tool" or "implement" - including the "tools of war". It can refer to any item including weapons, armour, shields, or even the entire panoply. More modern Greek limits the word primarily to weapons - including firearms
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

Not to be picky (well, maybe a little) but HOPLON isn't the correct term for Greek shields. ASPIS or SAKOS are the words to use. The Classical Greek round shield being discussed here is called an ASPIS. HOPLON means "tool" or "implement" - including the "tools of war". It can refer to any item including weapons, armour, shields, or even the entire panoply. More modern Greek limits the word primarily to weapons - including firearms

Thx! I'm always eager to learn more. Big Grin
It's just that Hanson used it in his book on the Peloponnesian War, maybe to avoid further complications *g*
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

Hi Mr Howard
Interesting. One learns so much on this site. Given that hoplon is a generic term for tool, does that mean that a hoplite was a tool user (rather than a shield bearer)? Or is hoplite either also an incorrect term or is it differently derived tha n via hoplon?
Thanks
Geoff
Felix Wang

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Possibly the language is correct, but merely ambiguous. English shows a similar problem with the word "arm".

Obviously, this does refer to a limb with a hand on it.

A man who is "armed" usually has both hands still attached, and is carrying a weapon in one of them.

Nowadays, "arms and armour" typically means weapons and armour; but the late medieval English text "How a man shall be armed" talks about how to put on armour, not about his weapons.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
[Interesting. One learns so much on this site. Given that hoplon is a generic term for tool, does that mean that a hoplite was a tool user (rather than a shield bearer)? Or is hoplite either also an incorrect term or is it differently derived tha n via hoplon?

Apologies for the delay. Wife just gave birth to our second child.
Hoplite is definitely derived from hoplon but I'm not sure when the term was first used. HOPLON in various forms appears in the Iliad 6 times, and in the Odyssey 13 times, but HOPLITE doesn't appear at all in any form. I don't know whether hoplite is a classical greek term or whether it is a more modern invention.
Felix Wang

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Dan! Have you thought of slipping a suitable Homeric name to your offspring?
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Her first name is Miranda. My wife is a classicist too but the only thing we could both agree on for a middle name was Diana.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Dan!! Wonderful name. She probably wouldn't like growing up as "Diomedes", eh?

Yup, as I understand it, "hoplite" is indeed a proper ancient term, basically meaning an armed man. The Greeks were often very vague about their terminology, using words interchageably when we tend to use them much more specifically.

Khairete,

Matthew
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: congratulations         Reply with quote

Mr Howard
Congratulations. 'tis a wonderful thing.
Geoff
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Dan!

But, getting back to earlier plate, is it safe to assume that the earlier armour was cast? If so, (and this is the part that boggles my mind) how would you get it that thin with a presumably reusable cast?
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Hinman wrote:
Congratulations, Dan!

But, getting back to earlier plate, is it safe to assume that the earlier armour was cast? If so, (and this is the part that boggles my mind) how would you get it that thin with a presumably reusable cast?

As fas as I know the Greeks "hammered out" their armour from one single piece of bronze. Both the bell-cuirasses and the Corinthic helmets were raised from one piece. Never heard of armour being cast Happy

P.S.: Congratulations, Mr. Howard. Cool
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
...Apologies for the delay. Wife just gave birth to our second child...
A hearty congratulations to you and your wife! Miranda is a beautiful choice for your daughter's name.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The one piece bronze breast plate story was associated with some of the Greek's enemies (Mercedes?) as well.

I wonder if anyone else has any more information on Charlemagne / Carolingian armour and training descriptions?

Charlemagne's armour was described by at least three period authors (most famously The “Mad” Monk of St. Gaul, etc.) within 100 years of his death. The more glamorous description is in the chronicles written by Monk of St. Gaul. Several internet translations I have seen of these state that his armour consisted of "plates of iron." It seems to be accepted that the Monk of St. Gaul intended to convey that his breast plates were single piece, because there were period texts challenging him on the point of the breast armour being solid. These period critics argued that the Monk of St. Gaul exaggerated his descriptions saying that the armour would have been too heavy to wear.

Einhard’s historical (805 A.D.) chronicle of Charlemagne’s one major defeat said it was the Gascons (Anglo-Nordic/Vikings who departed from Norway and lead a well known series of raids around 787) who ambushed Charlemagnes forces during his Spanish expedition. Einhard blamed the defeat on favorable Gascon differences such as “lightness of their armour” and better ground. One might speculate that most of the actual Gascons may not have afforded a hauberk. Archeological evidence from burials seems to be that more successful warriors would have had a hauberk, helmet, and varying degrees of splint for arms and legs. Whatever these warriors’ armour actually was like, at that time it was perceived to be light in comparison with the armour of the Carolingian forces.

Many people have asserted that a partial set of chess pieces found in a desk at Aachen validate that Charlemagne’s forces wore mail. At least two of those pieces were examined for purposes of restoration and were found to have been constructed with materials and methods which lead the curators to conclude that all of the chess pieces examined so far are of 13th century or later origin. Most of the surviving effigies and décor at Aachen are no earlier than 1200 A.D.. Most statues and effigies are actually of much later origin than that, and tend to show him wearing robes and royal regalia. Mounted depictions tend to show what appears to be greaves covering his lower legs.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right, bronze armor and helmets were hammered, not cast. It still boggles us as to how they hammered out sheet bronze or thin plate that they started with, though! Heck of a job, first casting a relatively thin blank without flaws, then repeatedly annealing and hammering. Even the folks who do period bronze casting these days are baffled, and amazed at the craftsmanship that was possible back then.

Fittings or small items such as crest knobs and such could be cast. And bronze weapons were generally cast, though hammering was done to harden cutting edges.

Khairete,

Matthew
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Right, bronze armor and helmets were hammered, not cast. It still boggles us as to how they hammered out sheet bronze or thin plate that they started with, though! Heck of a job, first casting a relatively thin blank without flaws, then repeatedly annealing and hammering. Even the folks who do period bronze casting these days are baffled, and amazed at the craftsmanship that was possible back then.

Fittings or small items such as crest knobs and such could be cast. And bronze weapons were generally cast, though hammering was done to harden cutting edges.

Khairete,

Matthew

The Spartans started to use a short bronze sword (almost a dagger) again when everybody else was already using iron swords. According to period sources the reason was because the Spartans fought "close to the enemy".
I'm no expert (far away Razz) but I guess that bronze was still harder and tougher (especially in short swords) than early iron, which was still comparably easy to bend.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Plates seems to have been more common in the east during the "dark ages". The east romans, and later, Byzantines used lammelar, scale, and splint armour in addition to mail. As did the arabs.

This could be due to better manufacturing "infrastructure", and a general higher level of social order, standing armies and the like.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Spartans started to use a short bronze sword (almost a dagger) again when everybody else was already using iron swords. According to period sources the reason was because the Spartans fought "close to the enemy".
I'm no expert (far away Razz) but I guess that bronze was still harder and tougher (especially in short swords) than early iron, which was still comparably easy to bend.

I've never heard any suggestion that the Spartan short sword was bronze! It was iron like every other sword of the time, just shorter. They'd been using iron swords before the short one appeared, so there was no reason for them to revert. There is a bronze one shown in one of the Osprey books, but apparently it's oversized and was made to be part of a statue (marble sculpture often had bronze details added). So it's not a real weapon. For a short sword, iron should work as well as bronze.

Khaire,

Matthew
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This article has a pretty good discussion of relative sizes of furnaces required to produce single large pieces of steel. It sounds as though large iron blooms of sufficient quality to make big pieces of plate depended on later period furnaces.

http://www.forth-armoury.com/research/wire/authentic_wire.htm

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Iron Age Plate-why so late?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: