Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A April Highlight Item Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: A&A April Highlight Item         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

Arms & Armor Highlight items for April, yes I said items, will be the #058 Classic Medieval Dagger and the #130 Crusader Dagger. Your choice or both for $135.00 each. Check out the newspage for details and some new items and custom pieces.

Really busy at the moment so I have to go but more on that soon Happy

Attachment: 15.5 KB
april01.jpg

Matthew K. Shea

Reading list: 4 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't wait to hear why you're so busy at the moment. Sounds like big news Big Grin
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Its May!         Reply with quote

Can't wait to see what the surprise will be this month!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

June's Highlight Item was just posted on the Arms & Armor site.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes A & A strike again a blow at my bank balance. Razz

The axe looks very very tempting and the price is hard to resist ........... Hmmmmmmm: Another E-Mail to Craig is very possible.

I wonder what other surprises he has in the pipeline ? It's good to have a few things from A & A in the lower price range as well as the medium price range. Big Grin Although A & A does have some more expensive things in the high or high-medium range the value for money is way up there IMHO.

Link to special page to save you guys some time: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/news.html

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A question for Craig,

Is the head blackened? If this is so will the final version be likewise? What time period does this axe represent?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
June's Highlight Item was just posted on the Arms & Armor site.

Whew!

Going to need a couple of them!!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Yes A & A strike again a blow at my bank balance. Razz

The axe looks very very tempting and the price is hard to resist ........... Hmmmmmmm: Another E-Mail to Craig is very possible.

I wonder what other surprises he has in the pipeline ? It's good to have a few things from A & A in the lower price range as well as the medium price range. Big Grin Although A & A does have some more expensive things in the high or high-medium range the value for money is way up there IMHO.

Link to special page to save you guys some time: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/news.html

Yeah...well I just called and bought two of them on an impulse. One for myself, on for a Christma gift. Never have bought a weapon on impulse before. I should probably hope it don't become a trend.

They ship Monday but only because I caught Craig at 5 PM his time. Actualy pretty cool that somebody over there picked up right when they should have been closing.

R. E. Oxley

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are these axe heads forged or cast? I may need two or three! Laughing Out Loud
I didn't know she was an Otter Princess when I married her! Although, her small, laughing eyes and love of shellfish should have betrayed her true nature to me.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Nordland Axe         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

The heads will be black Jeremy on both the Highlight item and the stock piece when it is ready. It helps keep the price down. You of course can order them with no paint and finish the steel up yourself if you like.

R.E. they are cast in tool steel. Save reason as above, hand forging axes at that price would mean paying ourselves far east wages and my wife would not approve Wink They hold up pretty well and would equate to a medium to low cabon steel from the period as far as durability and such.

Keep well
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Time Frame         Reply with quote

OOps forgot time frame.

Axe heads in several varieties will ebb and flow in history with styles reappearing over time. There are a couple of periods where something like this could be seen. The ones we looked to as examples for this are of late Roman through early Viking period. The particular one in Peterson was found with a sword that had Carolingian influences.

Best
Craig
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just recieved two of these today.

Darn nice for the cash involved.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Just recieved two of these today.

Darn nice for the cash involved.

Good, mine is now official as Craig E-mailled me to confirm, any short review would be appreciated. ( Well the above was short and could be called a really small review ! )

Would these make good throwers like a Francisca in some ways if somewhat different in aesthetics.

Well, now I could throw the axe and then close in with my Iberian mace. Laughing Out Loud

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have not tried throwing them, but I think they would throw well enough. Handle seems to be well formed and sturdy. Its all secured together by a wooden wedge which, based on what I've seen from old farm axes, might work loose over time. I suspect the handle is Ash, but don't know for sure, ovalized. Cleanly executed overall.
Doug Gardner

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig (and/or Joe),

Any predictions to how well the axe might hold up to HEAVY use? (e.g. splitting wood)

For this price, I'd be up for trying one out as a working axe, but only if you guys think that it could handle the repeated shock. I wouldn't think less of the piece if it isn't. After all, there are differences between purpose built weapons and tools. This looks similar enough to some working axe designs that I thought I'd ask, though. Big Grin

Doug Gardner
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doug Gardner wrote:
Craig (and/or Joe),

Any predictions to how well the axe might hold up to HEAVY use? (e.g. splitting wood)

For this price, I'd be up for trying one out as a working axe, but only if you guys think that it could handle the repeated shock. I wouldn't think less of the piece if it isn't. After all, there are differences between purpose built weapons and tools. This looks similar enough to some working axe designs that I thought I'd ask, though. Big Grin

At the price it would seem attractive carrying it when there would be a good legal excuse for it like camping trips or work related uses. As long as the cast steel is not brittle and capable of holding a reasonable edge it would make a good working axe. These do seem very generic as opposed to specialized carpentry axes and might have easily been intended for both fighting and general use: Unless the blade is very thin, them maybe more a fighting tool ?

As far as loosening of the head I would use some epoxy glue if ever it got loose before hammering the wedge back in.

Not very historical. Razz Laughing Out Loud And makes changing handles more difficult: Cut the handle flush and then drill it out with multiple holes and chisel the rest of the wood out.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doug Gardner wrote:
Craig (and/or Joe),

That's going to have to be a Craig question.

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Axe         Reply with quote

Evenin Guys

I am not sure heavy use in the context of lets split a cord of wood kind of work would be applicable. The leverage and handle length are not the best for heavy splitting but as a camp axe it should do pretty well. Tool steel head will hold a bit of an edge especially against softer woods and would work well for camp duty type jobs i.e. loping branches splitting kindling the odd stake pounding, that type of thing. The head shape is close to the axes they used for blazing trails in the colonial period. The longer beards are not the best for heavy chopping but are good for controled shaping and such.

You also see a few heads like this in boarding axes from the age of sail.

I have tried throwing them a bit and they seem pretty good.

Best
Craig
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Axe         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Evenin Guys

I am not sure heavy use in the context of lets split a cord of wood kind of work would be applicable. The leverage and handle length are not the best for heavy splitting but as a camp axe it should do pretty well. Tool steel head will hold a bit of an edge especially against softer woods and would work well for camp duty type jobs i.e. loping branches splitting kindling the odd stake pounding, that type of thing. The head shape is close to the axes they used for blazing trails in the colonial period. The longer beards are not the best for heavy chopping but are good for controled shaping and such.

You also see a few heads like this in boarding axes from the age of sail.

I have tried throwing them a bit and they seem pretty good.

Best
Craig

Sounds good, is there enough carbon content to just selectively heatreat the edge to a axelike " moderate hardness ?
The extra cost would be fine with me if it' s doable. Depending on what kind of quenching ( Water, air or oil ) it might be possible to just use an acetylene torch to do a selective heating of just the last 3/4" of edge ? If it' s not something you want to do it' s not a deal breaker for me. Cool

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Axe         Reply with quote

Hello Jean

Yes we could quench the edge. I am not sure how hard we could get the piece I would have to try ait and see. Probably into the period range of hardness for some of these pieces but I doubt getting close to the 50's range.

One could weld on a cutting edge to get that if it was needed but I do not think even modern axes are hardened to that point.

Best
Craig

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A April Highlight Item
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: