Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei sh 2250 bastard sword dismantled..... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Hanwei sh 2250 bastard sword dismantled.....         Reply with quote

Ok folks
I had that one; http://casiberia.com/cas/product_details.asp?id=SH2250 but with the normal finish
Yesterday we've decided to make some corrections on the sword because its point of balent is at around 11 inches of the crossguard. That means thant the sword is really bad balanced....as I said in anothe thread last month...

Now, lets take a look at what it looks like when dismantled....the pictures talk by themselves...

The pommel is hollow! What a crap! Now we'll have to replace that one with another, a full steel one. The sword will be a little bit heavier, but the balance will be better.
After that we've noticed that all the handle was fixed with a lot og glue, probably epoxy mix. The wooden pommel was glued on the tang, the leather was glued to the pommel, the quillon was also glued....glue everywhere! Crap!
Now wu'll have to shorten the blade of 1/2'' on the ricaso to have enough steel at the end of the tang to fix another pommel

there is also a litthe hole drilled in the tang. What is that??!! We need to repare that before installing its new handle and pommel because it should be a break point when the blade we will use the blade when fighting....
As soon as I get the new "version" of that sword I'll post new pictures.

If the pictures don't appears you should go there
http://fr.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/prospero2099.../my_photos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hollow pommel for my hanwei practical knight.

I'm saving money to buy a better one.

I will not spend much time improving mine, though, since I want to specialize in helmet making.
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that one is not supposed to be of the practical line...and the blade seems of really good steel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 28 May, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
I will not spend much time improving mine, though,

That's a matter of priorities ofcourse but simple mods are.... imple ;-)

Adding weight to a pommel by pooring in lad or tin is VERY quickly done. Winding the grip with wire a bit more work but still hardly lábour.
As to glueing: nothing wrong with that. Maybe not authentic for a knightly sword but fishglue certainly was used in weapon construction even BC. Using a modern glue can be as safe as peening or screwing. Remember: airplanes are stuck together with glue. That written; I use bóth.

Peter
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 May, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hole in the tang was probably used to suspend the blade in their heat treating apparatus; Albion does that with their swords.
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei sh 2250 bastard sword dismantled.....
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic