Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hello! Advice Welcome! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian A. Gottschalk

PostPosted: Thu 25 May, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Hello! Advice Welcome!         Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
I've been lurking on this site for about a month or so. I have long held an interest in historical weapons and have (finally) obtained the financial means to pursue a hopefully passionate new hobby. What I am looking for is a beginning point...a stepping stone, if you will. I have yet to purchase a single item, but am looking mostly at ATRIM and Albion line pieces as my first purchase. If you have experience (or recommendations) with these providers (I know this site does not favor particular providers, but I am am requesting info specifically on these two companies), any feedback would be welcome. Ideally, I would like to start with a bastard on longsword; however, the Albion Knight is is a single-hand piece I would welcome! I welcome all of your advice, and look forward to many future discussions!

bg
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 25 May, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to myArmoury.com!

You'll see many detailed opinions expressed in our Hands-on Reviews section of the site. Other than that, I'm sure you've come across many opinions and reviews right here on our forum.

What type of weapons interest you? Are you partial to a particular time period? What types of things do you intend to use your weapon for? Are you interested in living history or other re-enacting, martial arts, or starting a collection? How much weight do you put into historical design vs. contemporary design? How about durability and "performance"?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What do you really want to budget for this?

That makes a difference.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First you have to define what you want to use your sword for. If you just want to use it for sparring practice with friends or in a salle, then you don't need an expensive "beater" sword at all. If you want to just cut milk jugs, then almost any sharp sword will do the job if you do the cut correctly. If you're going to be collecting, or you want a fine sword because owning and showing it to others is the purpose, then getting an expensive sword makes sense.

I am just very thankful that I live in an age where the makers, models and choices in Medieval and renaissannce swords and weapons are so varied plentiful. :-)

Bryce Felperin
Member of the Autonomous Collective
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From a newb to another newb Wink :

The Albion Knight is indeed a sword I would like very much to possess, but I would recommend that you try something less expensive for your first one. A Gus Trim would be a good idea. This way you will be able to tell if you really like this kind of sword... (the knightly one handed sword). However I must say that if you want to buy an Albion sword, the Knight seems to be a good choice.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Brian and welcome from a member who joined this website last September also with a huge passion and little knowledge. Specifically, because of this website my knowledge has increased and my passion has not dimished, in fact my passion has increased.

I cannot really be of any help to your request, although I do admire both companies that you have selected to focus on, as a matter of fact sometime this autumn I will be acquiring the Vassal (my first Albion sword, "first" being the operative word here). The sword company which is my main obsession is not in your list but is certainly likewise another 5 star company of outstanding excellence from whom I have 6 swords, 1 rapier and several other weapons.

My purpose of listing a post in response to you is to give you a warm hearted welcome from another myArmoury member who is extremely grateful to this website on several different levels. I recognize your passion and I too am of limited financial means but every bit as in love with this hobby of passion and obsession. I have a ceaseless appetite to learn.
For myself, within the scope of financial responsibility I pretty much spend every dime I can spare on this obsession after meeting financial obligations. After my wife and our beloved golden retriever, this obsession is the next in line of personal importance. To illustrate, I am more than happy to drive a reliable beater van so as to be able to buy the finest production swords, books, DVDs ( both movies and documentaries ) relating to this hobby. I go without in many areas of my life so that I can have the money to buy swords from an exceptionally outstanding sword company and Albion Swords.
For me, I consider it to be money very well spent on something that is extremely spiritually rewarding and therefore I feel that I am being very responsible to myself. The swords I have bought and will continue to buy from where I have purchased and Albion Swords are worth every dime and then some. As these two companies are absolutely magnificent in every respect!

Brian, I personally am very happy for you in your self discovery of something which is so richly rewarding in so many areas. A kind of happiness we share that is for myself so profound that it is hard to put into words. Everytime I am able to acquire another sword from my two favorite companies I experience a happiness that tingles in my bones, heart, body and spirit! Within the spectrum of "things" (meaning cars, houses, tools, PCs, TVs, stereos, etc.) for me, nothing compares to medieval European sword and weaponry replicas of high quality!

Welcome Brian, to a whole new world of happiness! As my wife says ( a gardening fanatic), what I have in my beloved passion of medieval European swords and weapons, is a very great gift and Godsend!

Bob
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 May, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Brian and welcome to myArmoury.com!

As a newbie to purchasing swords myself, I found the most critical question I had to ask was what Bryce mentioned about knowing what the function is for the sword you want to purchase (i.e. cutting, sparring, collecting, decoration, etc.).

Then I gave myself a budget because there were so many great things out there BUT as a newbie I thought it best to start simple and work my way up my wish list Happy. Then I looked at individual dealer sites for my budget, as well as for their style, weight, and pommel length.

I've had no experience with Albion, but they are on my wish list. The Knight was actually one of my top choices. I've dealt with Angus Trim and I would definately recommend them, their swords are great cutters (should I mention they are also very forgiving cutters Happy ). I hope what little I dished out helps you.

Good luck in your quest!
Helen
Brian A. Gottschalk

PostPosted: Tue 30 May, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies! I learn so much from just reading the posts on this site. Thanks for the advice...looks like an ATRIM for starters...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hello! Advice Welcome!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic