Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Yay, New toy for me! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Very Nice Jason!         Reply with quote

Jason,

Yeah we really do have similar tastes! Must be the Kunst des Fechten!! That's a damn sweet looking longsword, with you and Bob having these very fine longswords, I expect to see some staged pictures. the third play from the Zornhau makes a particularly photo worthy shoot Big Grin I will,however,say that I am a-bit jealous, Christian took a much nicer picture of your sword then mine Wink Only consolation is I wil get mine tomorrow , neener neeener! Seriously though, congrats to you and Bob both on your fine new longswords, only question left is: So which national event will I see you guys at? Here in the states, us German sword guys need to stick together and stem the tide of all the Italianates running around looking to Fiore-itize our art.

Young Knight learn........
James

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Bill and Gary         Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for the complimets! I am getting the sword just in time to take it down and show it off to Patrick Thaden. My initial harness fitting is on Friday and between that, the other Atrim and the two NG's all in the works, I am basically shot when it comes to new gear this year. So I don't wanna hear about saving your pennies Bill! Laughing Out Loud On a more serious note though, I do find it interesting that people who study the German sword arts seem to have very similar tastes in Longswords. Hope to get the chance to cross swords (non sharpened aluminum or steel ones) with you gents sometime soon.

James

All Saints Blades
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill and Gary         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:
Thanks Guys for the complimets! I am getting the sword just in time to take it down and show it off to Patrick Thaden. My initial harness fitting is on Friday and between that, the other Atrim and the two NG's all in the works, I am basically shot when it comes to new gear this year. So I don't wanna hear about saving your pennies Bill! Laughing Out Loud On a more serious note though, I do find it interesting that people who study the German sword arts seem to have very similar tastes in Longswords. Hope to get the chance to cross swords (non sharpened aluminum or steel ones) with you gents sometime soon.

James

Ha, I've been slowly piecing my harness together, too, and it's no cheap thing, combined with the sword addiction. Especially considering that I'm "settling" on only one suit for now, a 14th century transitional harness, with the intent to one day also own a 15th century full gothic plate. To be rich instead of good looking.

But I know what you mean: the German-geared fellas all seem to like the same swords.
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Back from Dallas         Reply with quote

Hello All,

Well I am back from Dallas. Was very cool to meet Patrick Thaden. and looking over some pieces he had in stock, I am VERY glad I chose him (and that he accepted) to do my armor commission!

Regarding the 1520, I did receive it on Wednesday, and it is stunning. I am staring at it mounted in the spot of honor on my wall, and it definitely is one bad looking mo-fo! I will have a full on review in a week or so, ATM I am just trying to recover from the road trip. Bob, I am glad your Durer is treating you well, I hope we will see a full review and lots of pictures soon. Jason, likewise, I hope you enjoy your 1561. it will be interesting to see the differences in handling/cutting between the two XVIII's.

James

All Saints Blades
Robert Busch

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

Glad to hear that you've got your 1520, great cutter, great handler, and great looking too. Just a couple more weeks and I should have the cash to order one of mine own.

Can't wait for you to get that harness, if you need a foundation garment, I recommend Revival clothing's 14th century gambeson, I just got mine today, and I am mighty impressed. It's rather substantial, and comes pointed at the shoulder and upper arm. Mine will probably be sporting a Forth Armory hauberk when I can stop buying bastard swords for a moment or three.

Oh yeah, the Durer will be reviewed, I've got some really crappy pics taken indoors last night up on SFI, but hopefully I'll get some better ones once the sun comes out, and maybe Bill can help a bit w/pics, he can actually take good ones...

Bob
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Yeah,Thumbs-Up for the RC gambeson         Reply with quote

Bob,

I agree about the RC gambeson, I have had mine since October, they simply rock! I actually have it on top of my sword bad atm, got practice in 30 minutes.

As far as harness goes, I am having a high gothic-transitional to maximilian German harness made as we speak. Cuirass will be similar to the one offered by MRL ( based on a original design by Peter Fuller) bellows visored close helm, gothic fluted finger gaunts, full leg harness, fully encompassing pauldrons(with haute guards) gorget and fully enclosing rerebraces and vambraces. As a foundation, I am having a custom made arming jack and joined arming hose made by a local seamstress who works with Patrick. As a plus, everything except the cuirass ( at least at this point) will be spring steel, to say I am psyched is a vast understatement! The back piece is a work of art by itself, the fluting and extended culet are magnificent. The only draw back to this whole process is that the completed harness will cost more them my first 3 vehicles put together Cry the flip side is, that with proper maintenance, this armour should out last me and my childrens,children.

Cool to hear the 1520 is soon to be in your arsenal! I am really liking it a lot, though tonight will be the first time I have actually had any room to go through the meisterhau with it. I have a couple neat one-off/prototype pieces coming from
Gus in the next week or two, they should be pretty cool in their own right. More about those later Wink

James

All Saints Blades

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Yay, New toy for me!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: