Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bucklers?! We don't need no stinkin' bucklers!!... Or do we? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeff Stewart

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Bucklers?! We don't need no stinkin' bucklers!!... Or do we?         Reply with quote

Tonight’s practice was a real eye-opener as it was my first experience using and defending against sword and buckler. Since late spring we’ve been doing long sword, tossing in some wrestling and dagger every so often. Each of these things is pretty similar, but the buckler was completely alien and almost contrary to much of what we’ve been doing thus far.

In the beginning it seemed as though every strike could be easily slapped away by the buckler leaving ample room for their counter. It quickly became obvious that at range the buckler makes attacking very difficult, if not impossible, so we tried getting inside as quickly as we could as having a weapon in each hand makes close quarters difficult. Half-swording seemed to even the playing field for the most part, but getting that close against two weapons is insanely challenging, so we started going for the legs a lot.

Using the buckler was a different story all together. It was really awkward at first – having both hands full really gums guards up, changing some and eliminating others entirely. It’s natural to slap or punch something away when it comes at you – the buckler played incredibly well to that instinct, but still, after having practiced something else for six-ish months, the adjustments will be hard.

I’m not sure if I like the buckler yet, but I know for certain that I don’t like going against one, at least with long sword. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for using or getting around sword and buckler they would be greatly appreciated because at this point I am just confused.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,
Is there a particular style of sword and buckler that you're doing? (such as from I.33, or from Marrozzo, etc.) Just curious, because I've mostly only done stuff from I.33, so my advice may not really apply to you.

I find that for sword and buckler, it really isn't all that different than longsword, in general. The buckler closes off a larger line of attack than a longsword does. I have found that, yes, leg shots to become a little more common, though still very risky because of the exposed head. One of the major advantages of a buckler is the ability to attack in one line while protecting another, but this can also be used against the opponent. A proper feint to force you opponent to separate the sword and shield may allow you to outleverage the single hand sword alone, or to create an open spot.

Overall, the buckler really is an effective tool, though, and fighting against one is always a challenge.
Jeff Stewart

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I’m not sure exactly what style we were using, but what you’ve said is very reminiscent of this evening. Along with the buckler, my friend brought a much over-Xeroxed manual in a binder that we referenced from. Feints were definitely kept in mind as we played with and learned from the new (to us) tool, though not used to their fullest by any means. I’ll definitely be trying more feints next time as what I was doing was, for the most part, ineffective and leaving me dead.

Quote:
One of the major advantages of a buckler is the ability to attack in one line while protecting another…

Oh yes, very much so! Happy
I imagine that, as with anything else, it will just take practice to get used to it. Right off the bat we knew we were in for something incredible.

Unfortunately (for the buckler – I would have loved to work with it more) and fortunately (for the group) we had a new guy show up about half-way through practice, and since our group is incredibly small, 4-6 depending on schedules (and sometimes even less), we dropped everything at his arrival and proceeded to show him basics. I’m looking forward to working with it again soon and will continue trying my best to out maneuver 2 with 1 – or better yet (since we’ll now have to get another) 2 with 2!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Holly Hunt

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to admit that the sword and buckler style used in 1.33 really has me hooked on the weapons form. I'm using Jeffrey Forgeng's interpretation and I'm still working through a lot because some of the descriptions (not his fault) are sort of indistinct. (And no one else in our group likes it as much as I do.) And there is no doubt in my mind that the buckler made a BIG difference in protection, parrying and range. I won't use them without gloves or at anything approximating full speed with a new partner.

For those of you using later treatises and manuals, is the form and use that much different?
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Holly Hunt wrote:
For those of you using later treatises and manuals, is the form and use that much different?

In a general sense, no, they aren't that different. But a practitioner of I.33 would find Marozzo a bit odd. To give a very broad generalization, Italian Renaissance masters tended to keep the sword and buckler more separate than I.33, as I.33 tends to keep the buckler covering the sword hand. It's definately interesting to look at the differences between the two different approaches to what are essentially the same weapons.
Holly Hunt

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Buckler in its beauty         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
But a practitioner of I.33 would find Marozzo a bit odd. To give a very broad generalization, Italian Renaissance masters tended to keep the sword and buckler more separate than I.33,

I haven't made my way to Marozzo,Capo Ferro or Silver yet. One of my teachers recommended
http://www.aemma.org/ and
http://www.thehaca.com/reading.htm
Any experience with how good these are?

Hopefully I'll be learning some di Grassi this fall however.
Thanks!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Silver tends to follow some of the I.33 stuff, with some differences. I haven't worked with his stuff so much, so I can't say too much. Cappo Ferro doesn't have buckler, and you'll find that none of the "true" rapier masters do. It's only the "cut and thrust" rapiers (the sidesword, as most modern practitioners would call it) where you see the buckler being used, such as seen in Marrozzo or Lovino.

Both AEMMA and ARMA's websites that you linked to are excellent resources for seeing the historical documents. The fact that these are generously available on the web through these sites has really made WMA a pursuit that can be followed by people without access to museum manuscripts or priviledged documents.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bucklers?! We don't need no stinkin' bucklers!!... Or do we?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic