Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1913 Patton Saber Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Donavon J Shaw

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: 1913 Patton Saber         Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find or preferrably get custom made a model 1913 patton style sabre. DOesn't have to be the government issue model but the general design idea.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen one or two originals in antique shops here and there, so that's an option. Atlanta Cutlery also offers one, if you'd prefer to go that route.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/webstore/eCat/M...Sword.aspx

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Donavan,

Any smith or maker with a good grasp of rapier could certainly produce something similar.

There are a few reproductions available, both of the American Patton and some of the British patterns. My Windlass Patton is at least a half pound overweight and it's seemingly in the tang and hilt thicknesses.

As an aside, forumite Lee Reeves had a very crispy original Patton for sale at a very nominal price. It might be worth your while to message or email him. I don't know if he sold it.

There are quite a few dealer listings and sound swords can be found for less than a custom would cost. The question then becomes; What are you going to do with it?

Cold Steel recently started selling a British 1908 variant as well.

Ben Sweet has compared the Windlass and the other common Patton repro from (senior moment, some outfit in New Jersey) ah… Sarco Inc. Both versions are really quite inexpensive but quite good for the price. Aside from the weight/bulk issue, I don't regret the Windlass purchase.

As with any purchase, contact/confirm the vendor's stock availability. My 2002 purchase through Atlanta Cutlery took four months to fullfill. I think they and the sister company (MRL) often build backorders to budget timing of production runs at the factory/forge.

There are a lot of Windlass vendors.

Let us know if you do go with a commision, it would be an interesting project to follow. If you use the search feature, you'll find some other thoughts on these. The main page has lots of links to makers and smiths.

Many of the major European countries had a pattern of this type. Patton was certainly influenced during his tenure as a young army Lt. and participating as an olmypic competitor. After his return from fencing in Europe, he submitted his design to the powers that were.

There is a lot more information about his life and the sword on the web.

Cheers

GC
Donavon J Shaw

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to own an original for historic purposes, but I would also like to find a good custom manufacturer who could possibly put a scottish flair to it maybe some custom basket work. Ideally I would like to find a sword more appropriate for a two weapon style than the Basket hilted claymore. While still being able to be customized to hold onto my families clan origins.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Custom concepts can be a real journey. From basic design to choosing a smith/maker can be a chore in itself. A good start is to either sketch a rough representaion, or browse galleries
to mix/match; maybe even find an existing historical piece to inspire.

Cost factors aside, there are really too many capable to promote in one post. There is a family effort, not listed here, that I post not merely because of coincidence but because they might get a kick out of the concept.

http://pattonknives.com

Rob has been doing a few swords but is more known for hunters and fighters.

A 1912 British officers sword might be a good buy for you as an original. They are quite a bit more appealing to the eye than the Patton and might better reflect the heritage aspect. I don't have any dealer listings handy but have seen some very nice examples at modest cost over the years. I'll pop back with one link, I think it sold some time ago. Nope, it's gone. Ahh, here it is, it was hiding
http://207.57.3.196/cgi-local/show_item.pl?number=99095

Here are some galleries you might enjoy. The first has some highland patterns of the 19th century with slim blades.

http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/blade/armssc.htm

This second, has a great assortment of military sword photos from many countries

http://www.historicalimagebank.com/

Another, with good photos of the British swords.
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/swords.htm

The links section here at myArmoury is huge and there is a really good collection of galleries as well.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1913 Patton Saber
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic