Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MRL Catalog #90 Front Cover?? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: MRL Catalog #90 Front Cover??         Reply with quote

It's hard to tell but one of the knights on the cover looks like he's using an A&A French Medieval Sword. Does MRL produce something similar? I couldn't find anything in the catalog. Am I going crazy?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: MRL Catalog #90 Front Cover??         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
It's hard to tell but one of the knights on the cover looks like he's using an A&A French Medieval Sword. Does MRL produce something similar? I couldn't find anything in the catalog. Am I going crazy?

Yes. Happy MRL used to produce a sword based on the same one in the Wallace collection that A&A reproduces. It hasn't been in their catalogue for a while.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MRL Catalog #90 Front Cover??         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jason Elrod wrote:

Yes. Happy MRL used to produce a sword based on the same one in the Wallace collection that A&A reproduces. It hasn't been in their catalogue for a while.

Also in Catalog #90, I note that the "Buccaneer" at the lower left corner of page 16 has an interesting looking basket-hilted cutlass. Is this another long-gone product? Unlike current MRL baskets, this hilt seems to be a reasonable volume.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noticed that odd (for MRL) cutlass myself and wondered if it was a tease for a new offering myself. Suppose we'll have to wait for #91 to find out!

Murphy WTF?!

aka "Murphy"
See ya at Bristol Renaissance Faire!

The decisions we make, dictate the life we lead.

"I drank what?" -Socrates
www.celticfuryproduction.com
Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would speculate that cutlass is from back in the MRL/DelTin days simply based on the fact that the blade looks very like an old Del Tin cutlass blade I recently got from Atlanta Cutlery, and I have not seen anything like that in MRL's catalog or website in the last few years. Would be nice to see some some new models along those lines though.
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jason,

Chad's right; they did produce that sword before. I've even seen it on their website. But I just checked MRL's website a minute ago but didn't see it. Sad

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Uhhh, I don't know, guys. I just checked out catalog #29 (Del Tin era, my first catalog from MRL) and I found another cutlass, but, it was a shell guard. Not the one we see in # 90. I'm holding a little hope that with the new Pirates of the Caribbean coming out soon, a new cutlass is in the works.

Just my hopes,
Murphy WTF?!

aka "Murphy"
See ya at Bristol Renaissance Faire!

The decisions we make, dictate the life we lead.

"I drank what?" -Socrates
www.celticfuryproduction.com
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Quote:
Also in Catalog #90, I note that the "Buccaneer" at the lower left corner of page 16 has an interesting looking basket-hilted cutlass. Is this another long-gone product? Unlike current MRL baskets, this hilt seems to be a reasonable volume.

I haven't got the last MRL catalogue so I took a look at different things at the MRL website and found this picture. It sure looks like an attractive sword! So is it the same one as in this this picture?

And a better look of the blade.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're right, Henrik, that is an attractive sword (... except in the second picture, it's not the sword I'm admiring! ... Eek! Cool ). Sorry Chad! Sorry Nathan! Couldn't resist.

I'm looking at my copy of catalog #90 and I don't see that cutlass as labeled or priced, although both of those pictures are in it. An old Del Tin perhaps? I don't even know when MRL stopped carrying Del Tins. I bet Hank would know.

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They had a "Scottish Basket-hilt" sword that they had with that same hilt. It's likely that they mated the hilt with one of their cutlass/falchion blades that they recently unloaded as deadstock to create that sword.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If so, Nathan, I think it would be unfair of them not to offer one to me! Big Grin
I think it looks great! A sword with a hilt in the SW11 style and fauchion blade. What a great idea!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
Hi guys,

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Quote:

I haven't got the last MRL catalogue so I took a look at different things at the MRL website and found this picture. It sure looks like an attractive sword! So is it the same one as in this this picture?...

Yes, Henrik, that is the sword that I found interesting.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
George Doby

PostPosted: Wed 24 May, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin coulodn't see sword in second pic either. got me to thinking what about a babes and sword calender Laughing Out Loud
don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
If so, Nathan, I think it would be unfair of them not to offer one to me!
I think it looks great! A sword with a hilt in the SW11 style and fauchion blade. What a great idea!

Cheers,
Henrik

And here it is in the MRL on-line catalog as the "Scottish Cutlass"

- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MRL Catalog #90 Front Cover??
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic