Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Nibelungenleid Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Nibelungenleid Movie         Reply with quote

Apparently they have made a movie out of the Nibelungenleid. Has anyone seen it? Here is the website: http://www.ring-of-the-nibelungs.com/. It dosen't look that great but I'm kind of a fan of this type of literature (if you weren't able to tell by my signature Wink )
Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like the crew are primarily experienced in television productions. They seem to have put a lot of care into the hair styles. A bit startling to see the Terminator in medieval attire, without a flamethrower.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isn't that Peter Morwood's project?
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This appears to be the same film (with title changed) as discussed at some length in the following thread:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2328
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
This appears to be the same film (with title changed) as discussed at some length in the following thread:

Actually, it is this topic...http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...light=ring

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

Actually, it is this topic...http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...light=ring

Whoops! I did a boo-boo.
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ahh, i must have missed this first time around. sorry guys.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have they released it for US consumption yet? Last I heard the DVD deal was stalled dead in the water.
Jesse Zinn

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,
In searching for info about the DVD, I found this site of images,

http://movies.monstersandcritics.com/archive/...ion=images

Jesse

Jesse D. Zinn
North Carolina

“Hwæt wé Gár-Dena in geár-dagum
þéod-cyninga þrym gefrúnon,
hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon."
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I mentioned in my reply to Patrick on the other thread (#2469), I'm fascinated by the number of title changes this has gone through: it was Kingdom in Twilight through most of the final year's writing, because of a wish to (ahem) avoid any too-obvious connection with another Major Fantasy Film with "Ring" in the title Happy (in fact there was an attempt to get rid of the Ring entirely (!) despite the fact it's been part of the legend for a thousand years); then for the German market it became a two-parter, Die Nibelungen: der Fluch des Drache and Die Nibelungen: Liebe und Verrät ("The Nibelungs: The Dragon's Curse / Love and Betrayal") For its brief UK cinema release, it was called (The) Sword of Xanten.

Reviews have been wildly mixed; the Brits hated it, but the German viewing figures were the best SAT-1 has ever had since the station began transmission; German-language commentaries and chat-groups have been all over the place (loved it, hated it, well done, how dare they... Etcetera.) This project was a real education in how what's written can change during its transition to the screen - the writer of a novel has got infinitely more final control, and since I've written a dozen of those before doing live-action screen work, it was something of a contrast. It was also a real education in Who Is Important (director very much at the top, writers very much at the bottom. Watch The Player: that movie got it all too right.)

As usual, it's easy to say (after the event) how much better it could have been, but that applies to so much stuff that it's just sour grapes to even bother. Like any roller-coaster ride, it had its ups and downs, it scared us, it made us feel sick, and there were times when we wanted to get off - but once it was over, we realised that we'd enjoyed it, and we'll do it again like a shot!

Okay, that one's in the can. On to the next!

"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your half-crown, and your handsome women!" - Capt. Carlo Fantom (from Aubrey's "Brief Lives")
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will there be any chance we in the US will be able to see it?
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe ill just keep my eyes peeled for it in the stores.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe negotiations with someone in the USA are "currently ongoing" (whatever that means! Laughing Out Loud ) Whether this is for cable, satellite, network or whatever, I don't know (I'm just one of the writers - we're not told stuff like that in case we start thinking we're important...)
"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your half-crown, and your handsome women!" - Capt. Carlo Fantom (from Aubrey's "Brief Lives")
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This film has been released on DVD in the USA as "Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King". I bumped into it at Blockbuster the other day (my wife is watching it as I type). The production was not the greatest - some acting was stiff, some effects were cheesy, the swords were laughable (looking like poorly made aluminum wasters). Nevertheless, I feel that the story is good, and that the film was worth the rental. Website at Scifi.com
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New name again!
Well! for they who loves saga's like me, this one is great,
i have not seen it for some month's now, so i listen to that soundtrack Todesfinale (death final) in that site
and i got goose skin on my arms when i think about how sad it was Sad

Any Balmung made yet?

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually saw it on Space Channel just last weekend. Steve's right- the swords aren't the greatest. Sigfried's sword is roughly the correct spatulate shape, but it has a riser rather than a fuller, and the pommel doesn't look right. There are moments when the acting is a bit cheesy; some of the dialogue leaves things to be desired, and the actor who plays Sigfried sounds a little bit like Arnie when he delivers some of his lines. Similarly, the sword play is fairly standard "Hollywood" fair.

That having been said, I did enjoy the story despite these flaws. It was generally enjoyable, and it was apparent that the filmmakers put some effort into the accuracy of the film, even if they got some things wrong. I can't comment on how closely the movie follows the Niebelunlied because I have not read it yet.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This aired in the US on the SciFi Channel in March under the title Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King. SFI had a thread about it here: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...ght=dragon
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife and I actually watched this just last night, we picked it up at Wal-Mart. It wasn't bad, I liked the costumes and the sword forging made me think of you guys Big Grin It was nice to see Max Von Sydow in the movie, and Kristanna Løken was incredible as Brunhild. Her fight scenes were good, but the fight she had with Siegfried at the wedding feast was really good, IMO. The movie was a bit jerky, the editing wasn't all that great, but ya gets what ya pays for, and for my money it wasn't as bad as say, Druids with Christopher Lambert. I was suprised to find that on the released soundtrack that Blackmore's Night had two songs listed. LOVE those guys!

Ken

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Nibelungenleid Movie
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic