Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Countdown! (Not anything about new stuff) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Albion Countdown! (Not anything about new stuff)         Reply with quote

Wouldn´t it be cool to have a countdown on the next generationswords so you knew when to be desperate to by before the number is filled on the swords?

Just brainstorming.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad

Last edited by Martin Wallgren on Thu 11 May, 2006 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is already (sort of) in place; I remember an announcement when the first of the viking swords came to the end of the production run. If I remember right, the announcement was made when the number remaining hit 25.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On 11-2-05, Albion posted a comment in their news page that there were less than 10 Vinlands left.

Of course, in their Limited Edition explanation FAQ, they state that:
Quote:
When the edition is down to 10 swords (or less) remaining, a notice will be placed on that sword's page and on the Albion News page.

They don't seem to have ever gotten around to posting it on the Vinland Page. I would like to see them carry through with that. Maybe somebody (but lets designate a representative, so that Mike doesn't get 50 e-mails Laughing Out Loud ) should mention it to them, since it probably just got overlooked.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Thu 11 May, 2006 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should also mention that there is always the option of calling/e-mailing to ask about avalability.

I once managed to visit the Albion site while they were in the middle of updating things. The Agincourt Page had the line reading: "Order now before this limited edition collectible sword runs out!" but none of the other pages had it yet. I e-mailed Mike, and he assured me that they were not all ordered yet (good thing, 'cause they weren't even in production at the time), and I could still wait a few months to order one.

I don't know if they'll give you specific numbers, but I'm sure they'll be able to give you some kind of indicator to help you plan your purchses.
-Grey

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here I was hoping this would be about new stuff coming out. Blush
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

Sorry about that man...

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Sorry about that man...

Not a problem. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Albion's defense, I'm sure they are aware of the standard and reputation that their customers (like us) have of them. Therefore, they have made it their mission to meet or exceed anything they've accomplished in the past -- and they have accomplished a lot! I can say that as a repeat-customer of theirs. Think of all their NextGeneration swords that are now in production; it's not often that sword makers produce that many new swords in that amount of time.

I concur that some swords (like the Munich and others) should have been out by now; I don't blame those of you who are frustrated about not having your swords yet. But I can't recall any other makers (those who make swords of this quality) who have turned out as many new models as Albion. What they have accomplished so far is worthy of much praise, even now.

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
In Albion's defense

As this thread is not about swords that are not yet in production, but about swords that are nearing the end of production, Albion doesn't need defending, at least not in this thread.
The topic title can be misinterpreted I guess, especially in a pré-caffeïnated state of mind. Wink

Back on topic: Personally I wouldn't have a problem with producing #1001 (or #1026 for that matter) of a 1000 piece limited production, if customers ordered that many.
Especially when the items aren't numbered, so no one would notice anyway.
It doesn't really strike me as an important issue.
I'm speaking for myself of course. I have absolutely no idea how the people at Albion feel about this.
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry all for the strange headline on this and stuff. My thought was just that I had a crazy idea in my head that albion could have a counter on the site where you could see the number of swords left of each model. Just a visual idea from may part. ´twas not any critique or anything just a wild idea:D...

Martin

Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow, I was just going to type that word for word! Exactly what I was thinking. For example, I am dieing for Discerner, but its hard to raise the cash as a student, and my desire is on the back burner. If I saw a ticker at #900, I would be more focused on selling my blood (or others blood) to raise the funds. Unfortunetly, all the cash that comes in goes out to survive, so its hard to feed a hobby like this. It would sem that I already missed out on the Limmited edition, and now will have to settle for a regular one if they don't run out soon...

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Sorry all for the strange headline on this and stuff. My thought was just that I had a crazy idea in my head that albion could have a counter on the site where you could see the number of swords left of each model. Just a visual idea from may part. ´twas not any critique or anything just a wild idea:D...

Martin

A counter would involve them updating their site much more frequently. The delivery times for in-production items don't even always get updated. Every in-production sword I've ordered has been listed as having 2-3 week delivery. All but one were backordered and took longer. This shows that constantly updating the site with ever-changing info is not always easy, cost-effective, and/or worth doing for them.

Another option would be for them to get a software package that monitors inventory, outstanding and past orders and integrates into their website. But that's likely going to be expensive and involve a ton of setup time.

Realistically, posting the numbers is only going to benefit Albion when the number remaining is low. Posting that there are 1,000 or 800 left on a run of 1,000 isn't gong to entice people to order any more quickly. Their current system helps create demand and makes some people want to order more quickly. By not posting the numbers, you can't be sure how many are left:

Do you want to run the risk of not getting an item? Order now! Etc.

When an item gets to a certain point in its run, members of Albion's Collectors Guild (Round Table party hosts) are to be notified. When it hits another point, the number goes public to further spur orders.

Afterall, the limited edition idea is most likely partially designed (if not moreso) to manufacture demand and make people order sooner rather than later in order to not miss out on an item. Keeping a public running tally of the remaining items could actually hurt sales. If there are 500 left, what's the hurry to order now? By keeping the numbers private until they are low, customers have to play the odds that they won't miss out.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

True points, but, like with the bennefactor issue, keeping everything private reflects sort of a bad taste to me. If it was just up for the last 100, it would be a booster to sales though. Knowing there was only 100 left would encourage more people to buy now. Also if they charged a $XXX fee for over production modles people would still get the items they really want, but maybe would loose the #'ed stamp. Its early and I'm just thinking out loud.
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
True points, but, like with the bennefactor issue, keeping everything private reflects sort of a bad taste to me. If it was just up for the last 100, it would be a booster to sales though. Knowing there was only 100 left would encourage more people to buy now. Also if they charged a $XXX fee for over production modles people would still get the items they really want, but maybe would loose the #'ed stamp. Its early and I'm just thinking out loud.

Bad taste or not, it's a marketing and demand-creating device. After all, we're talking about their products because of it, aren't we? Undoubtedly, some people are wondering right now how many are left of models they want to buy. Buzz has been created. People are talking. Some may be checking bank account balances. Their plan is working. Happy

I think Guild members are supposed to be notified when it gets to 100, then it goes public when lower numbers are reached.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:

Martin

FWIW...I think your idea is a nice one, even if it might not be feasible for reasons already mentioned.

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
As this thread is not about swords that are not yet in production, but about swords that are nearing the end of production, Albion doesn't need defending, at least not in this thread.
The topic title can be misinterpreted I guess, especially in a pré-caffeïnated state of mind. Wink

Oops! I thought the title meant the 'countdown' of when new swords would enter production. Confused

Yeah, that would be a good idea to put on the webpages the availability of each sword -- 'We have X number of Knights left; or there are only a dozen Regents left ..... ' Then again, I like Greyson's idea of just calling Mike and asking how many of what is left. Idea

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went ahead and e-mailed Mike about the Vinland Page (so no need to inundate him with e-mails on that topic). He thinks that the lack of a notice on that page was just a case of it being overlooked, too.

As things currently stand, the only model that has reached a low number of available pieces is the Vinland. Albion will probably update that page in the near future {edit: they already did}, but the important part is that they do have a system in place for notifying us of low numbers and generating that interest. I suspect that, as more pieces reach the end of their production, Albion will get more practice, and there will be fewer "dropped updates." Just look at the difference in the number of broken/misdirected links that existed on the Albion site between the beginning of the year and now. They are definitely improving the website, and the way they disseminate information.

Just my thoughts on the matter anyway.

-Grey

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Countdown! (Not anything about new stuff)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic