Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Italian Falchion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Brent Rattan

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: MRL Italian Falchion         Reply with quote

Hey All, just received an Italian Falchion from Museum Replicas that I ordered months ago.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/S...chion.aspx

I had actually given up on ever receiving it and then it arrived last week out of the blue. I had never ordered a sword from them and had been quite hesitant knowing that in the past they might have had some quality control issues and honestly had not ever been that impressed with any of their swords that I had actually handled (several years in the past), however I needed something to satisfy my sword fix until the Messer I ordered from Albion last year actually comes into production.

The falchion seems to me well balanced (PoB of 4") and does not feel as heavy as its 3.2 pounds. It handles well and I can find no looseness anywhere in the hilt. I seems very solidly built and is an attractive piece to boot. The grip is actually long enough to use two handed if one fingers the ricasso (which I assume is the correct grip as it does have a sort of finger ring/guard). The only flaw I can find is the "Windlass, Made in India" stamp. Not sure why Windlass can't come up with a nice maker's mark to put on their swords instead of this.

I ordered the falchion sharpened and whoever sharpened it did a very nice job; the edge is well done and its easily as sharp as my sharpest sword (an Atrim). I haven't had a chance to cut with it yet, but when I do I will update this with the results.

Bottom line, I could not be more pleased with the MRL Italian Falchion especially considering its price point. Bravo Windlass and Museum Replicas.

D B
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be really interested in seeing more photos of this piece. If could you find a way to do this, please share them with us. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. The original on which this is based is quite interesting.

Italian, circa 1600-1610

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recieved something new from MRL today as well.

If you compare our experiences, I think it captures the essence of the quandry that is MRL perfectly.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course, this piece represents where MRL is today, while discontinued/closeout items such as Joe's failed hammer represent where MRL was at some point in the past. That's no guarantee that everything produced in the past was inferior or that everything produced in the present is superior, but I think the buyer should keep in mind how long a given item has been in MRL's catalog and judge value accordingly.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Brent Rattan

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, I promise to get some pictures up as soon as I can. My wife and I just had our first child (a son, named Dane, he is 7 weeks old) and I suddenly have not much time to do much else (he's certainly worth it though). I also hope to cut with it soon and will post those results too.
D B
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: MRL Italian Falchion         Reply with quote

Brent Rattan wrote:
...Bottom line, I could not be more pleased with the MRL Italian Falchion especially considering its price point. Bravo Windlass and Museum Replicas.

This is very good news to hear.

Also, Brent, congratulations on the family addition. A new infant, along with the two dogs shown in your avatar, should keep you and your bride plenty busy!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Brent Rattan

PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, I took a few shots yesterday.

Attachment: 107.81 KB
DSC00375 (2).JPG

Attachment: 111.38 KB
DSC00364 (2).JPG

Attachment: 119.47 KB
DSC00358.JPG

Attachment: 106.08 KB
DSC00360.JPG

D B
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I can see in the photos, the hilt looks very nicely done. How does the blade look? I am used to seeing some waviness from their grinding process (not necessarily grind marks, though)
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is this type of falchion known as an Italian "Storta"?

What's the difference between a falchion and a storta?

Thanks

Danny
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
From what I can see in the photos, the hilt looks very nicely done. How does the blade look? I am used to seeing some waviness from their grinding process (not necessarily grind marks, though)

Yeah, I been wondering myself, what is it that causes that waviness? I have the same thing on the MRL swords and daggers that I have.

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

Yeah, I been wondering myself, what is it that causes that waviness? I have the same thing on the MRL swords and daggers that I have.

Bob

If there is any hand work involved in the final polishing or grinding any irregular pressure hesitation / pauses etc ...... can
cause all sorts of ripples. Or if machine made, vibration, tool wear on older tech. can also cause some irregularity of surface.
If I remember my decades old machine shop training, getting things wrong with old style lathes and other machining tools was a lot easier than getting them right.

I think state of the art computer controlled CNC machines will give you near geometric perfection if the machine is well programmed and operated: So our expectation based on high quality work done by Albion, A & A or Angus Trim are now very high.

But again, don't take my word for it as I have only obsolete and superficial knowledge and there might be other reasons for wavy surfaces. Razz

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brent Rattan

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll will try to take some shots of the blade asap.

The blade seems to me to be well done.

It does have very minor ripples, but not very dramatic and honestly quite less than I expected. Much better than a CASI bastard sword I used to own. I have an 18th C. Yataghan short sword that is still very sharp and in working shape that has about the same amount or more ripple in the blade.

Hope this helps, will try to get a pic of the balde upo soon.

D B
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean, yes my Arms & Armor swords do not have that ripple affect, they are sleek and clean. I don't have any Albions "yet" but that will change, first with the acquisition of the Vassal, which of course is Albion's Falchion. I've handled the one MRL Falchion at Kult of Athena which is near me and it's a fine piece for the money.

Though not a Falchion it is a single edge, I have found myself obsessing on Albion's Berserkr over at K of A.

If I was not buying the Vassal, I would grab that MRL Falchion.

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Thanks Jean, yes my Arms & Armor swords do not have that ripple affect, they are sleek and clean. I don't have any Albions "yet" but that will change, first with the acquisition of the Vassal, which of course is Albion's Falchion. I've handled the one MRL Falchion at Kult of Athena which is near me and it's a fine piece for the money.

Though not a Falchion it is a single edge, I have found myself obsessing on Albion's Berserkr over at K of A.

If I was not buying the Vassal, I would grab that MRL Falchion.

Bob

Hope they get around to making that Falchion at Albion soon, if only for the sake of your mental health. Razz Laughing Out Loud

No, jokes aside, waiting for stuff can be a killer ! I have a Christian Fletcher in the order pipeline I'm looking forward to and stuff I've read about the AT 1435 blade being a great beast, after I ordered, makes me look forward to it even more: Oh, an estimated six months wait on that one. Sad But, a realistic and expected waiting time. Big Grin Cool

Bob, always nice to hear from you. Big Grin

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sat 20 May, 2006 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike at Albion told me they are shooting for the fall, which is fantastic! I was expecting Feb or March 2007, as I have been told to what extent Peter Johnsson is a perfectionist. Very much the same level as my very close friend Joe Wheeler who is recognized by many to be the best whipmaker anywhere on the planet. 20 platt kangaroo hide bullwhips, braiding straight as a laser and smooth as glass with a throw you just would not believe. I've watched Joe braid many times when he was here in Chicago, the level of expertise it takes to make a top quality bullwhip is every bit as complex as the skill level it takes to be a top level swordsmith. Getting the geometry, weight distribution, physics, etc., correct takes a man with both an incredible gift and skill level.
Even though I have never watched a swordsmith work, from knowing Joe Wheeler and watching him work on bullwhips, I know to what extent and skill level a top swordsmith like Peter Johnsson has to be! This statement goes for ALL high level swordsmiths ( I am new and don't know all the names of these great people so forgive me please for not listing names).

People like this fascinate me to no end! Two nights ago I was watching "The History Channel" and Paul Champagne was featured making a sword and the narrator said how just about anyone could learn to become a blacksmith and make spearheads, arrowheads and knives, but only someone very gifted and highly skilled could become a "Swordsmith"!

I only have to think of Joe and I know full well how gifted and skillful a swordsmith has to be and when you think about to what extent of skill and talent it takes, well it's just entirely mind blowing!

I'd love to one day have a few thousand dollars to be able to ask one of these "Gods of Steel" make me a custom sword! They deserve the highest respect!

Sincerely,

Bob

I've mellowed a bit and I have 11 swords now, 7 are from A&A, the others are MRL and Paul Chens, so I am much more patient. By the way I've handled that Berserkr, it's a dream! It feels sooooo GOOD in balance and weight, yet it is so beautifully barbaric and effective a sword, somewhere down the road here not too far off, I gotta have this sword!

Albion is like Arms & Armor to me, in that one sword is more beautiful than the next. Oh to have the money to be able to give both these companies a back log of work! I'd have my own museum! Laughing Out Loud
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I forgot to say something in summary to my previous post. One of the points of the post was meant to say that it is no inconvenience to me to wait for the Vassal, rather I am grateful for a swordsmith like Peter Johnsson who takes so much pride in his work to get the prototype right as well as all the swordsmiths at Albion or anywhere else a sword is made.

I am only too happy to wait, because I know when the Vassal is done, it is going to be glorious. I saw the concept art on that sword and my eyes about bugged out of my skull.

Happy to wait.

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I forgot to say something in summary to my previous post. One of the points of the post was meant to say that it is no inconvenience to me to wait for the Vassal, rather I am grateful for a swordsmith like Peter Johnsson who takes so much pride in his work to get the prototype right as well as all the swordsmiths at Albion or anywhere else a sword is made.

I am only too happy to wait, because I know when the Vassal is done, it is going to be glorious. I saw the concept art on that sword and my eyes about bugged out of my skull.

Happy to wait.

Bob

Bob, glad that you have mellowed a bit and learning to be patient is a good thing and as with my post I also know that good work can't be rushed. I did wnat to express my empathy with the necessary waiting though. Wink Cool

My A & A custom Langue de Boeuf is taking more time than originally estimated but I know that this is because Craig wants to get it right and a delay from a trusted supplier is very different than delays caused by bad customer service or worse.

I remember a story here of someone having to bug a supplier for 5 years to finally get a somewhat flawed bronze sword. Eek!

But we are getting too off-topic Wink Maybe a topic about coping with waiting for stuff would be a good idea as long as it doesn't become an " angry " topic.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Getting back ON topic that MRL does look good even if some bevel lines are a bit rounded instead of crisp.

Although my ideas about crisp grind lines are heavily influenced by modern custom knives: Historically, crispness and perfect symmetry doesn't seem to have been the very highest priority.

Remarks aside, it is a nice piece. Big Grin

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the furniture pictures.

Have you tried diassembling the piece?

I don't see that it looks peened from the photos, so I wonder if the pommel is screw on?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Brent Rattan

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe, I tried with my hands to see if I could loosen it (the pommel) and could not, so that's about as far as I plan to go. The pommel and the hilt are about as tight as can be right now. If I am ever playing with it and anything becomer loose I might tinker with it again.
D B

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Italian Falchion
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: