Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Starting a collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dave Walton

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Starting a collection         Reply with quote

I have started a small collection of swords already (3 in all), but 2 of them are movie replicas and the other is a Kit Rae Fantasy sword. I would now like to collect more historical ones. I was thinking along the lines of 13th century european. Any ideas where is should go from there Question
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Begin by finding some good books on the subject and spending some time with them. The memember reading lists here are one place where you can start.

Although this is probably not the kind of answer you want, it is one that will save you money in the long term as you try to decide what you really like. Almost everyone just rushes into sword collecting and starts buying,, me included. Then over the next few years almost everyone learns a bit more and starts getting rid of everthing they originally bought because they figure out its not really what they want.

So take your time before you decide, if you possibly can.

Anybody that instantly gives you "buy this" or "buy that" product recommendation is probably just over eager to share their excitement about the hobby with you. They may or may not have taken the time to consider what your likes, goals, and resources are; they may even be as new to this as you are, after all discovery is exciting.

A product recommendation with something as broad as 13th European, is not something that should be easy for anybody to define.

Another good resource on this site you should spend some time with is the reviews. There is a link for them along the top of every page. Most of these reviews are submitted by collectors with some experience and exposure to a fairly wide range of products, and in some cases, original pieces. I belive all of thereviews include photos from various angles. Often these are much better photos than the makers have to share with the public, IMO. The reviews on this site are conveniently organized by vendor, so spending some time with them will quickly give you an idea what a given company and it product is like. I think most review also provide cost information.

I guess the point of all of this is that I think you should take your time and enjoy the journey.

Or just go crazy buying things like everyone else does.

Whatever floats your boat!! Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave-

When I first started my collection I made the mistake of buying everything just like Joe mentioned. I bought everything that looked cool not realizing that the way a sword feels and handles is just as important. I have since discovered what I *really* like through trial and error but have bought some swords that I wished I hadn't in the process. This is fine if you have an unlimited budget, but not a good idea on a working man's pay. I would strongly second all the research and reading Joe recommended and add one thing: Try to get some swords in your hand before you buy. You can read about them and look at them all you like but it doesn't replace the knowledge you'll get from having them in your hand.

-Tim
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might add too: if you end up buying swords that you later decide that you don't really like, the myArmoury Marketplace forum is an excellent area to sell them and hopefully recuperate some of your funds back.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another question that you need to ask yourself is what is the collection for? Is it glorified wall hanger use? Cutting? Western Martial Arts? SCA/Ren Faire costuming? Living History? Answering this question can help direct you as to which sword maker to look at. Some companies produce swords that are ideal for one use but less ideal for other uses.

Price points are important too. How much are you willing to spend for a sword? If you are a student or otherwise on limited funds, a sword costing $1000 is probably not a good option unless you are willing to save up for it. However, like anything else, on average, you get what you pay for. A good article concerning the modern replica sword here at myArmoury.com is http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_modreplica.html by Patrick Kelly.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also take a look at the antique arms and armour photo albums here and compare them to pictures of reproductions of similar pieces that you are interested in. http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/index.php?cat=5

Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dave, welcome to the fascination and obsession, I am also new, having bought my first sword in July of 2005 and now the owner of 7 high quality production swords, with another on order that is not yet in production. I also have 5 swords of a moderate quality production but they are all quite nice.

There are two high quality production sword companies in particular that I have great respect for and will list them in alphabetical order so as to not indicate any favor as both are 5 star in "my" opinion.

www.albion-swords.com

www.arms-n-armor.com

There are also several swordsmiths if you want something particularly spectacular. As was said, "The Marketplace" listed in this fantastic website, is also an excellent choice!

Welcome to a wonderful new world of which for me is the greatest interest, passion and hobby I have yet to discover in my now 48 years of life! In my opinion you have also managed to find the best western sword website anywhere on the internet!

Sincerely,

Bob
John McFarlin

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just absolutely sound advice given thus far. I have only one thing to add or amplify: do your homework. You'll find that the act of researching will refine your desires. It took me a couple of months to decide on my first accurately designed sword, an Arms and Armor Henry V.

You say you're interested in a 13th century sword, but you don't let us know why. You could be thinking of a particular sword that you have seen on a webpage, or perhaps you've looked at the webpages about Ewart Oakeshott's legacy and you like the shape of a sword which is shown to be common for the 13th century, or perhaps you like the 13th century and you would like a sword that would be proper for that time frame.

These are all conjectures, but they get to the questions which will help you make a decision you like and can stand with.

John

Jehan de Pelham, esquire
Compagniye du Chalis: 1370-1420
www.mron.org

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Starting a collection
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic