Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advice on Windlass "Guardian Sword" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Howard F

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Advice on Windlass "Guardian Sword"         Reply with quote

I have some experience with antique swords but not much with the modern manufacturers (Except having had the pleasure of handling some beautiful weapons made by some of the the currently known "greats").

So here's the question: Can anyone give me first hand advice concerning a very inexpensive Windlass Model called Guardian sword.

I am looking for construction and use details.

thanks so much in advance for the response.
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a friend that has one, he's modified the hilt and changed out the leather, what would you like to know about it and I'll ask him?

Ken
Howard F

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Thanks         Reply with quote

for the reply --

Basically want to know if this is only suitable for ornament or is it a real sword capable of use in recreation combat. If it is not usable and up to the rigors of live-steel contact I will look at many of the other alternatives out there..

Thanks again
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard,

Could you post a link and/or picture of the sword. I know the name is familiar but I cannot bring it to mind at the moment. If I see it I may remember if I have actually handled it or not.

Windlass pieces seem to have increased in quality recently based on the ones I have handled and from what I have heard from those who have much more experience than I.

Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

Howard F wrote:
for the reply --

Basically want to know if this is only suitable for ornament or is it a real sword capable of use in recreation combat. If it is not usable and up to the rigors of live-steel contact I will look at many of the other alternatives out there..

Thanks again

What exactly do you mean by live steel contact and recreation combat? These things mean different things to different people, but in many cases they are marketing terms that mean nothing.

For example, in steel on steel work, the first thing you need is a blunt and not a sharp so that you can reduce the risk to yourself and your partner. This changes what is relevant to your selection. For example, if you start talking about edge retention, you are not asking about a tool for recreational combat.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the sword he's talking about, my friend is in the SCA and got it for a Ranger type costume, but I doubt he'd use it for any steel on steel combat, in fact he left it unsharpened for safety reasons. Ken
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are interested in swords for sparring here is a short list of recomendations:
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sw...aestro.htm
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/training.html
http://www.angustrimdirect.com/practiceswordhome.htm

Enjoy,
Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advice on Windlass "Guardian Sword"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic