Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood armoury rapier review? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Francois Smith

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Darkwood armoury rapier review?         Reply with quote

Can anybody give me a reviw of the Darkwood Armory Open Port Swept Hilt rapier? I want to know how it handles, where the CoP roughly is, the PoB, etc... If you have pictures of this rapier feel free to post them. Thanks.

Here is link: http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/open.htm
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't specifically have the open port, but I've got a three ring which should handle about the same. I'll give you more specific measurements tonight, but I can give you an overall impression now.

Darkwood rapiers combine excellent handling and safety, better than any other rapier simulator I've tried (though I've not seen the new ATrim ones, which are reportedly good). My rapier's balance is closer to my hand than I'd prefer, though that's because my taste has changed since I originally bought it a few years ago. But the wonderful thing is that Scott Wilson makes these all himself, and somehow I doubt it would be too much of a problem if you requested it to balance a certain way. As it is, the rapier is still very lively with excellent tip control.

The type of blade you choose will change some of the handling characteristics. Mine has a practice blade on it, which is more flexible than the bated one. The flexibility, however, is not too "whippy", which is a concern for some types of rapier simulators (though keep in mind that many historical blades are slightly flexible, too, because of the thinness of the blade). I've handled a bated rapier blade, and that's got a fair amount of flex in it, too. I think that my next Darkwood will have the bated blade.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with Scott Wilson's work. His basic finish is a little rough, and you can see the weld marks on the inside of the cage, though if this is a problem he's certainly able to do a higher finish for a price.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Weight: 2lbs 3oz
Overall length: 48.5"
Blade: 42"
Grip: 3.5"
POB: appr. 4" from cross

The bated blade I believe is a little heavier, and when I handled one, I liked it a bit more. But the practice one has much more flex and is safer for use. Keep in mind, though, that Scott Wilson hand makes these, so you can request changes and he'll work with you.
Francois Smith

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your information Bill.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't add much to what Bill has already said. But I can second his statement. You can't got wrong with Scott. I have a pappenheimer that he made a few years back. This was before he was started using the Del Tin blades. Last year I had him make me a custom handle to replace the standard wood grip it came with. I sent him the width of the tang and diameter of the pommel; when it arrived, it fit perfectly.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood armoury rapier review?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic