Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Birckenstocks viable for Renfaire? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Drake Abram

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Birckenstocks viable for Renfaire?         Reply with quote

I was wondering what y'all thought about the Birckenstock London shoe model as footwear for Renfaire as far as historical aesthetics go:

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depends on what the rest of the costume will look like, though that shoe would work better with most Ren costumes than Nike running shoes (which I see constantly at my faire WTF?! ). The other very important thing is that it's comfortable; i.e. can you can walk around in them for hours on uneven terrain (like grass, dirt, mud, gravel, or horse 'deposits') in any kind of weather? That shoe certainly looks cool.
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would say no. They look like modern shoes. They don't look at all like historical shoes.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with nathan, they do look very modern, although if you are looking to just go a paytron and not perform as part of the cast or crafters then i say go with what you find most comfortable.. also as a side note if you have a medical condition requiring proper footwear (diabetes, pedal edema, etc) then your health should come first regardless of what as we term it "the costum nazi's" say.

and as always a pommel strike to just about anywhere will clear up any points of confusion Big Grin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry. I was just answering the question as it was asked regarding "historical aesthetics". There are many other factors, but I was trying to limit the scope to the needs he's expressed. I did not consider comfort or medical condition as he did not express those needs. Both of those things, for what it's worth, can be had with properly made historical footwear as well. Historical styling does not necessarily mean an inferior item or something full of compromise. I tried to help best I could...
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Drake Abram

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I do not have a condition, but that was very polite of you to consider that.

I am looking for a renaissance shoe/low boot. Can anyone point me in that general direction?
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd look here http://www.revivalclothing.com/. They have two different shoes and a low boot that look pretty good, and their turnshoes and low boot have had good reviews here by two forum members. Happy
Drake Abram

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
I'd look here http://www.revivalclothing.com/. They have two different shoes and a low boot that look pretty good, and their turnshoes and low boot have had good reviews here by two forum members. Happy

a valiant effort, but too Medieval looking for what I want.
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you could try
www.caboots.com

that is were many of my friends (and myself) get our show boots, they are great to work with (both the personel and the items) we even have a diabetic with foot problems in our group that swears buy them.

also if your just looking for period boots to get you by until you can get higher end boots you can try:

www.renboots.com

they will hold up for a full season of wear with thick socks, and they are economical but
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you could narrow your time frame a bit (give us a particular decade, maybe, plus or minus a couple of years) we might be able to get you some more focused help. From the middle of the 15th century on, as a ballpark figure, fashion quickly accelerated to the dizzying pace of changes in cut and style we endure today. If the Revival stuff mentioned earlier is too "medieval", it sounds like you might be looking for very late renaissance pushing to early colonial footwear?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Renaires are almost always Elizabethan and most are 1580s and 1590s. Tudor (Henry VIII) faires are much less common.
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take a look at these. They're somewhat similar. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/ho/08/euwb/hob_...,6_av2.htm. If you're going to go in a 'loosely' historical costume, then I suppose these will work fine, plus I guess you could wear them with normal clothing too. If you're going for authenticity, don't go with them.

You might want to take a look here instead Big Grin This site has a tutorial on how to convert Oxfords & Hushpuppies into Elizabethan/ECW Lachet shoes. I intend to try it out myself. http://www.luckhardt.com/ecwsa53.html
Drake Abram

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Renaires are almost always Elizabethan and most are 1580s and 1590s. Tudor (Henry VIII) faires are much less common.

Tudor would be it. The main renfaires I frequent is set in about 1520s (so the pamplets say) with Henry VIII strolling around.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drake Abram wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Tudor would be it. The main renfaires I frequent is set in about 1520s (so the pamplets say) with Henry VIII strolling around.

I liked the Turdor/Henry VIII faires the best when I did the circuit back "in the day"...

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, I remember many people buying some Birckenstock shoes years ago that they used for Tudor styled shoes. They had to modify them by removing a strap. I think the model was the "London" model or some similar name. Once the strap was removed, they looked quite reasonable. I'd go the custom route, myself, and did at the time. While people were spending $100 or more on factory-made shoes, I got custom ones made for less than $150 and they were much more accurate. I used a local California-based maker named John Shrader. I suspect his prices are more now but who knows for sure without a quote? I have two pairs of tall riding boots from him.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Very true. There's a neat site called The Tudor Shoppe that specializes in costume accessories within this period. I actually bought a replica chain of office from them last year.

http://www.tudorshoppe.com

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Birckenstocks viable for Renfaire?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic