Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price point of your next sword purchase Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
One of the most interesting parts of this thread, has been that only 115 people responded to the survey. Surprising the response was so very small. Talk about a niche.

Remember that this poll was taken in September, 2003, soon after the website opened. There weren't that many members yet. It has spent most of the time since then buried under a pile of threads.
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been watching this thread as it 's popped up a few times over the past couple of months, and it's been interesting to see how tastes and desires haven't really changed much from Nathan's first question in '03. I've been waiting for some of the newer designs to come out before deciding what my next purchase would be, and couldn't decide between the Sword of St. Maurice and the Munich. SInce the first was acquired by a surprise gifting, suffice it to say that the Munich @ $1100 is the next baby on my list. There is a place on my wall just waiting for this piece of steel. Big Grin
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
One of the most interesting parts of this thread, has been that only 115 people responded to the survey. Surprising the response was so very small. Talk about a niche.

Remember that this poll was taken in September, 2003, soon after the website opened. There weren't that many members yet. It has spent most of the time since then buried under a pile of threads.

Then I guess a new survey would be interesting. Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Valeriy Rog

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My resent purchase this two handed sword, 90$ Cool
http://io.com.ua/img_a/00225264.jpg
Jeff Smith

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Albion "Crecy" should be arriving here in the next week or two... I'm quite anxious waiting for it! Shipped to my door it's costing me $650 USD but from all I've heard Albion's swords are among the finest made today so I didn't hesitate to order one after researching things.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Then I guess a new survey would be interesting. Big Grin

This is so old it might be appropriate to "retire" the spotlight topic badge. And, as you say, it might be good for somebody to start a new poll, eh?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to buy the Chevalier next, but not for a while. So I choose 750-1000. I'll be putting together a kit before I buy another sword, I think.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My next "serious" sword purchase is going to be the Arms & Armor King Edward III Sword with a bit of custom hollow grinding done to it and then on to Russ Ellis for a Trident Line Scabbard and Belt with all the trimmings, nothing held back, all out 1st class!
Next year in the late summer I turn the big "50" and this is my commemoration for making it to this ripe old age, given the fact that despite my somewhat eccentric personality no one has yet killed me! Laughing Out Loud
I have had my eye on this sword for a number of years now and even if this is the only acquisition of 2007, it's all going to be done in an all out 1st class fashion no holding back on the cash.

So the price point on this sword that goes for $855.00 with the hollow grinding, could well be a few hundred more, I do not know, nor have I yet inquired of the price.

I Salute My Fellow Knights of the Sword!

Bob
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After getting my first Albion (the Hospitaller) in July, I've become hooked. The Talhoffer will probably be my next acquisition, which with shipping goes for about $680, I believe. The alternative is the Hersir or Huskarl, which will put the cost in a different price range, however. It depends whether I choose to develop a late or early kit first; at any rate, I might get the Talhoffer anyway just because it will be my first truly high-quality longsword.

Regards to all,
Max
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having a sword made by Ollin http://www.ollinsworddesign.com a design partially based on the Pontirolo sword page 81
" Sword in hand " and with some features of the SoSM: Huge one hander. Wink Laughing Out Loud

The quoted price being VERY reasonable for a custom sword, but I would have to ask if they mind my telling what the quoted price is before I do. ( I personally don't have an issue with mentioning the price. )

We are in the early design stages and either me or the guys at " Ollin " will start a topic on it eventually: Maybe a step by step progress report on the design and production process. Wink ( With pics from Ollin, probably. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
My next "serious" sword purchase is going to be the Arms & Armor King Edward III Sword with a bit of custom hollow grinding done to it

So the price point on this sword that goes for $855.00 with the hollow grinding, could well be a few hundred more, I do not know, nor have I yet inquired of the price.
Bob

I've already got mine in the works!! Big Grin By the way, Bob, you're right about the hollow-ground blade (as the original is), but I'm afraid any customized work (especially on an A&A Edward III) would demand a higher price tag than I can afford. But it's all good; I have revered A&A's Edward III for years. I own a few pieces by A&A and I have no doubt that this one will be worth the wait. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At this point, I have no idea what the next piece or price point will be. My last three swords were unplanned (and unbudgetted Eek! ), and the result of opportunities that I simply could not pass by (a Vince Evans, an Albion Landgraf, and an E B Erickson).
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
G.L. Williamson

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I've just posted a new thread regarding which of three Arms and Armor rapiers may become my next purchase. I voted the proper bracket (I believe it will come to anywhere from $800.00 or so up to $1,000.00 depending on whether I can get the matching parrying dagger to go with the sword in the same order (which depends on selling a sword it/they will replace). Excellent and interesting question/poll!
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What Steve said, right now I would say probably the $800 Castellan is the most likely candidate; however I just got a Thegn yesterday, and that was "unplanned and unbuddgetted" but too good to pass over.

Kenton
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most recent acquisition, the Albion Svante, prices in the $2900.00 range. The only custom order I currently have in-process should be around $2000.00 from Patrick Barta.
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The price point is well under 200€. Big Grin I just ordered from Sword-Gur. The sword type is J003 with a pommel of the sword type T001. I really needed a cheap secondary practise blade. We'll see in about 3 months if the sword is worth the money.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking at either the Albion Sherriff or the Yeoman. I need a good commons man-at-arms sword for my LH portrayal.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
William Knight

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Next thing I buy would probably be a Del Tin Ballock dagger, and then a falchion by armourclass, so one purchase in the under $200 range and one in the under 500 range.
-Wilhelm
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
At this point, I have no idea what the next piece or price point will be. My last three swords were unplanned (and unbudgetted Eek! ), and the result of opportunities that I simply could not pass by (a Vince Evans, an Albion Landgraf, and an E B Erickson).

Hey Steve, I missed that one, what did you pick up from Mr. Evans? Was it one of Thomas's pieces?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

Hey Steve, I missed that one, what did you pick up from Mr. Evans? Was it one of Thomas's pieces?

No, though I wish I could have had one of those, as well.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price point of your next sword purchase
Page 4 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: