Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help ID these swords (or are they authentic) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Help ID these swords (or are they authentic)         Reply with quote

Hello all,

There's a gentlemen over at SFI that could probably use your help. He's got a couple of swords, one a sidesword with all metal construction similar to the one Nathan has/had? from Phoenix metal creations and a cavalry palache (spelling?). He got them from a family that sold them to him as "old" and he's trying to verify if they are or not. I noted that he should post over here but so far he has not done so to my knowledge.

He shows some pictures of the swords and makers marks but I'm totally unfamiliar with construction techniques (i.e. what were period techniques) for that period so I'm not much help. I suspect that makers marks don't mean anything more in swords then they do in knives (although HOW the mark is applied is often important). If you know this time period wander over and help this guy out...

Maybe give us a hint here of what you know...

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65240
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ the first sword shown is nearly identicle to the Italian rapier made in Venice C.1490 shown on page 47 of "Swords and Hilt Weapons" right down to the all steel construction of the hilt (although the one in the book has etching/engraving thorughout the hilt which the one in the thread lacks).

The second one is a nicer example of a "Walloon" sword (I owned one of much cruder munitions construction but very similar form) which was about the most common cavalry broad sword of the second half of the 17th century.

Without hands on time I can't tell you much more than that (i'm not as up on makers marks as I used to be so no help there) but just based on my own collecting these could quite possibly be legit.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Allan, interesting bits of information! It's okay about the maker's marks, like I said I don't put to much stock in them typically anyway, not without a lot of corroborating evidence that is...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help ID these swords (or are they authentic)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic