Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The "Little Stiffy" ready for review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: The "Little Stiffy" ready for review         Reply with quote

This XV is heading east, for review...........

The AT1401, the first of a new series.........

Attachment: 21.71 KB
webIMG_0001.jpg

swords are fun
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LIttle Stiffy.. haha..
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Little Stiffy" ready for review         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
This XV is heading east, for review...........

The AT1401, the first of a new series.........

Mymymy this does look good ! From the picture it looks fairly thick with a deep hollow grind in the forte at least !
The hollow grinding maybe becoming flatter as the blade narrows ?

Don't have any ATs " yet " but I'm looking forward to seeing more of this series.

And it doesn't hurt that the prices of ATs are more mid range in price while the product from what I have read are closer to the high end in performance.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think it's hollow-ground. That isn't something Gus has done in the past. If he's doing it here, that's something I'd hope he'd be pushing really hard because it would be new stuff!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I don't think it's hollow-ground. That isn't something Gus has done in the past. If he's doing it here, that's something I'd hope he'd be pushing really hard because it would be new stuff!

You could be right, and it might just be the lighting, but if I had to place a bet on it I would put more money on it being hollow ground just by the pattern of the reflections.

Maybe we will know soon if it is hollow ground ? I think I read something about Gus starting to work with hollow grinding on a post of his on another forum. ( If my memory serves me right. )

The ridge / spine just looks too defined or thick for a flat ground blade. Wink

In any case it still look vey tempting: Oh, no DOOMED again to a smaller bank balance. Razz Worried Big Grin

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

You could be right, and it might just be the lighting, but if I had to place a bet on it I would put more money on it being hollow ground just by the pattern of the reflections.

Maybe we will know soon if it is hollow ground ? I think I read something about Gus starting to work with hollow grinding on a post of his on another forum. ( If my memory serves me right. )

In any case it still look vey tempting: Oh, no DOOMED again to a smaller bank balance. Razz Worried Big Grin

Gus has indeed attempted his first hollow ground blade, though I don't think this one is it. I believe this sword is part of a new series of thick (.36"?) type XV's he's working on. There's some more info and a link here: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64833. Happy

Last edited by G. Scott H. on Wed 05 Apr, 2006 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've gotta agree with you, Jean. Whether or not it is hollow-ground, I have no way to know for sure (hopefully Gus will enlighten us soon Big Grin ) but based on that picture, my money says that it is. Especially down near the gaurd it looks like it is hollow-ground. That would be pretty cool, good to see Mr. Trim is taking things to yet another level! So many options...Nice work.

Kenton
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Hi Jean

Nathan's right, this particular piece is not hollow ground. The ridge did come out kind of pronounced though, but I think that's because of the included angle of the main bevels there. The sword blade is 29 inches, its two inches wide at the base, and it .35 inch thick at the base. Plenty of distal taper, but the point is very strong....... Handling it, its definitely a thrusting sword, but still, I was able to cut a water filled 2L bottle with it, and take the second ring too....... Still, its a thrusting sword, that can cut a little.......

You're right, in that I have a blade in heat treat, that has the "hollow ground" main bevels. Its an XVIII though, a lightweight sword........

Nathan pointed out what I do on a thread on sabers..... I start something to get my "head wrapped around it", and travel from there. I understand what some of the hollow ground geometries should look like, but before getting into some of the more challenging sword types, I like to experience things simply.......It looks good enough that I started a couple of bastard sword blades too...........but I'm not going any further with it, until I get a couple of these first ones done..................

This XV however, is also the first of a series. At 2lbs 13, its no lightweight for a blade that long, but then again, its intended as a "battlefield sidearm", so it should be able to hold up to some armor pops {and it will}........ The next size, XVa, blade 35 inches, handle, 8 or 9, stiffer than the "little stiffy".........

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Gus for the information about it being flat ground rather than hollow ground: I was wrong about the hollow grind but your sword sure looks right. Cool

Looking forward to seeing the whole range of these " more for the battlefield " sturdy swords.

When do you think your site will be updated to make these " stiffies " available for purchase ? Not asking for myself for right now but at some point I should be looking over this line with serious intent. Big Grin

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW! This is really exciting! I'm really happy to see a XV that can have it's hilt easily customized. It's got my wheels turning already......
Greg Thomas Obach
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right on !
love the look of this one..

can't wait to hear more about it

Greg
Happy

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The "Little Stiffy" ready for review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic