Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Apr 3: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
59%
 59%  [ 29 ]
Very Good
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
Good
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Fair
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 49

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Apr 3: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Evaluating Historical Sword Specimens

An article by John Clements

A Viking Age Sword from the Higgins Museum

An article by Alexi Goranov

Lost and Found: A U.S. Model 1860 Light Cavalry Saber

An article by Sean Flynt

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I click on the links for the pictures where available, it routes me back to the home page (http://www.myArmoury.com/#). Actually, it is doing that for all the old review and feature picture links too. Anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
When I click on the links for the pictures where available, it routes me back to the home page (http://www.myArmoury.com/#). Actually, it is doing that for all the old review and feature picture links too. Anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

I wish tech issues would be emailed directly to me rather than here. That would seem to be a better way of getting assistance.

You have to have javascript turned on in your browser to see high resolution images. If you're using the Firefox browser, there is a bug that occasionally turns off javascript if you do not let the page fully load before clicking on things. In this case, it will simply not execute the javascript code and direct you to the home page.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great update. Loads of interesting information in this one. Very good reading.

Thanks fellas,

Kenton
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brilliant
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The article on the Cavalry saber was very interesting, and this comes from a guy who's actually not very interested in such weapons Happy
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice!

Great to have well documented original swords in an update.
Alexi, could you give any estimate as to how much corrosion had affected the weight of the viking sword? How much of the material seemed to be missing?

Thanks, and thanks for a nice update to all responsible.

Gordon
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! This period is far outside my main period of interest, too (1500-1650), but I was very happy to add the saber to my collection. We should all have such generous relatives! Unfortunately, it now has me wanting a Confederate sword for balance (a decent repro for antiquing--authentic Confederate weapons are worth their weight in gold). My parents know a famous Alabama writer who has her Confederate ancestor's swords, uniforms, etc. stored in a box under a bed.Eek! I think that sort of thing is becoming very rare, though. People are realizing the value of these things. No more Leicas at garage sales, either.Sad

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
The article on the Cavalry saber was very interesting, and this comes from a guy who's actually not very interested in such weapons Happy

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice change of pace all around.

Sean, thats a nice piece. My wife works part time for a elderly lady who bought one of these Mansfield & Lamb
sabers 20 years ago for $100 at an estate sale. She sent to me a bit back,to give her ID info. and est. value. and do a little conservation to.

It's a Manfield & Lamb - Forest, date stamped 1864, inspectors initials J.C.W.

She informed my wife about a month ago, that she had left this sword to her (my wife) in her will. Wow!

The stories behind such pieces is another reason my collecting tastes have turned lately to the vintage military swords.

Great stuff all around guys, Thanks!

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great articles all around this time. I particularly liked the article on the brazil nut as my favorites are late viking/early medieval swords. I really enjoyed seeing the sword from angles that aren't usually shown in books. Thanks to all 3 of the authors of these articles for some great reading and even better photos!
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
It's a Manfield & Lamb - Forest, date stamped 1864, inspectors initials J.C.W.

Another M&L! Have you ever handled one of the inexpensive modern repro Model 1860s? I'm very curious to see how they compare to an original.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Matthew K. Shea

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All around, a good update. I especially loved Sean's piece. That's quite a story. I'd put in a request to make "Lost and Found" a Spotlight series, but somehow I doubt we'd be able to get as many great stories as Sean's.
Proud member of the Academy Of European Medieval Martial Arts.

"Those who live by the sword live a good, long time!"
~Minsc, in Baldur's Gate II
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew K. Shea wrote:
All around, a good update. I especially loved Sean's piece. That's quite a story. I'd put in a request to make "Lost and Found" a Spotlight series, but somehow I doubt we'd be able to get as many great stories as Sean's.

Thanks! We know these stories are out there...we just have to find them. So, anybody got an antique they want to share? It doesn't have to have an amazing personal story attached. I'd be interested in reading about the odd garage-sale find and the subsequent research that identifies it. That's Lost and Found, too!

-Sean

William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Sean I have. And with most repros. of military swords,(heavy, bulky,unbalanced

chunks of metal) they don't even come close to originals
Handling vintage piece's like these can really spoil one's taste.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Yes, Sean I have. And with most repros. of military swords,(heavy, bulky,unbalanced

chunks of metal) they don't even come close to originals
Handling vintage piece's like these can really spoil one's taste.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I figured this would be the case.

-Sean

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting articles:

John Clements:
The article on evaluating original swords should be very helpful if one gets the opportunity. I would compare this to meeting an admired famous person and being tongue-tied at the time and later thinking of all the questions one should have asked.

With a museum visit and the chance to handle originals having read this article should help not wasting the opportunity and also the ways an ancient, maybe fragile, sword should be handled for both safety and avoid the embarrassing disaster that damaging the blade would be. ( Not to mention making a repeat visit unlikely ! )

Alexi:

Also very interesting article and from the dimensions of this sword the original would resemble the Albion Gaddhjalt a great deal in blade shape but with a somewhat different guard.

Is it possible that there is a " typo " error on the dimensions of the tang ?

" Tang width at guard: a 3/16 inches " Maybe it should read 1 3/16" ??? At least visually if the grip is 3 3/4" long the width of the tang near the guard should be close to 1 3/16" ( Eyeballing it )

Sean:

Not my period of interest but a very well written piece.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Nice!

Great to have well documented original swords in an update.
Alexi, could you give any estimate as to how much corrosion had affected the weight of the viking sword? How much of the material seemed to be missing?

Thanks, and thanks for a nice update to all responsible.

Gordon

It is hard to approximate exactly how much is missing, but the cross-guard and parts of the tang were affected the most. I would expect the sword to have been no more than 2.5lb when new (1lb 10oz currently). The sword would have still had its inlays, organic parts and whatever iron was corroded away.

Thanks about all the nice words! I am glad someone is reading these articles Happy

Alexi
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Alexi:

Also very interesting article and from the dimensions of this sword the original would resemble the Albion Gaddhjalt a great deal in blade shape but with a somewhat different guard.

Is it possible that there is a " typo " error on the dimensions of the tang ?

" Tang width at guard: a 3/16 inches " Maybe it should read 1 3/16" ??? At least visually if the grip is 3 3/4" long the width of the tang near the guard should be close to 1 3/16" ( Eyeballing it )

I think that it should read 1 3/16 inches but I will check that to make sure.

This sword resembles the Albion Gaddhjalt only in 2 dimensions. It is a different beast. It is much flatter sword in almost any sense. This is most obvious when looked at the pommel. The blade is also thinner (in part due to corrosion, but I think even when new it would have been thinner). It has a bit shorter and a bit broader blade, and is, as a said above, thinner. The Higgins sword would likely predate a sword with a NG Gaddhjalt-like pommel.

I own the Albion Gaddhjalt and expected to find a very similar sword my self. I was in for a surprise Happy That is why I did not discuss the Albion Gaddhjalt in the article. They look alike but that is about it.

Alexi
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi;

I'm always somewhat amazed how thin the blades are on original swords: Must be because of my early 1980 's experience with 1/4" to 5/16" thick blades. And more importantly this thick without any distal taper: Mostly my fault as this is what I wanted at the time having a tendency to like railroad engineered thing. Razz Laughing Out Loud

But very interesting that what we might imagine being very similar swords based only on pictures are very different beasts when one can handle them in person. Eek! Good that at least we have you guys to do it for us and report on your impressions. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean... may I just say... ROLL TIDE... (U of A Class of 97)

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Apr 3: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: