Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The halberd and other European polearms Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: The halberd and other European polearms         Reply with quote

The halberd and other European polearms, 1300-1650 (Historical arms series) by George A Snook
# Unknown Binding: 32 pages
# Publisher: Museum Restoration Service (1998)
# Language: English
# ISBN: 0919316387

does anyone have this book? is it worth getting? any details of what the 64 pictures are of? or are they all of pole arms in other books?
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have it and personally it is well worth the price of admission, even if it is a rather short book.

Check this out:

http://virtuatheque.free.fr/The%20Halberd%20a...learms.pdf
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoa. Cool Thanks for the link to the book pdf, Danny! It looks like a great primer on polearms.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats Nice! Steves right it looks like a great intoduction to a vast subject.
Danny Grigg

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I happened upon the link while searching for more infomation and pictures of the Kriegsgertel, which is shown in the link.

I actually have the printed book, not the pdf, however from what I can tell the pdf is the entire book.

Does anyone have any information or pics to share of the German Kriegsgertel?

Thanks

Danny
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Danny Grigg wrote:
I happened upon the link while searching for more infomation and pictures of the Kriegsgertel, which is shown in the link.

I actually have the printed book, not the pdf, however from what I can tell the pdf is the entire book.

Thanks

Danny

Kriegsgertel means War-Gertel. I can't think of a correct translation of "Gertel", but it was (and still is) a Gardening tool used for cutting branches. It's still being produced in Germany and Switzerland in different sizes. While Gertel is the name used for the Swiss-version (which is slightly bigger), the Germans call it a "Hippe". There is also a Kriegshippe.
The main difference between the war-version and the gardening tool is simply that the War-Gertel is mounted on a long pole.
Hope this helps a bit.

Interestingly the english link for the Gertel at wikipedia is the Billhook: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billhook
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Danny Grigg wrote:

Thanks

Danny

Kriegsgertel means War-Gertel. I can't think of a correct translation of "Gertel", but it was (and still is) a Gardening tool used for cutting branches. It's still being produced in Germany and Switzerland in different sizes. While Gertel is the name used for the Swiss-version (which is slightly bigger), the Germans call it a "Hippe". There is also a Kriegshippe.
The main difference between the war-version and the gardening tool is simply that the War-Gertel is mounted on a long pole.
Hope this helps a bit.

Interestingly the english link for the Gertel at wikipedia is the Billhook: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billhook

Since a bill is a "gardening tool used for cutting branches", would it not be logical to postulate that gertel translates as "bill"?

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Matthew D M

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! Printed it out for later reference.
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Black Mastro wrote:
Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Danny Grigg wrote:

Thanks

Danny

Hope this helps a bit.

Since a bill is a "gardening tool used for cutting branches", would it not be logical to postulate that gertel translates as "bill"?

You're right. Sounds like the most logical translation Happy
Some more info: The Kriegs-Hippe and Gertel were both used during the Bauernkriege (peasant-wars) in the early 16th century. People back then also turned flails and siccles into arms by mounting them on a pole. However, these weapons proved to be not very useful against mercenaries in armour with Pikes and Halberds.
Wikipedia, usually not my preferred tool of research, has a surprisingly well-written article on the topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peasants%27_War
Danny Grigg

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the information

So what's the different between the Kriegsgertel, Kriegssense, Kriegshippe and Kriegssichel?

Were they all peasant weapons invented during the Bauernkriege?
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Danny Grigg wrote:
Thanks for the information

So what's the different between the Kriegsgertel, Kriegssense, Kriegshippe and Kriegssichel?

Were they all peasant weapons invented during the Bauernkriege?

All I know is that these weapons were used during the Bauernkriege. Turning farming-tools into weapons is the next logical step for someone who doesn't have a lot of money at his disposal, so I wouldn't be surprised if people had done the same thing before the peasant wars.
But it's true that these weapons were used predominantly during the Bauernkriege.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The halberd and other European polearms
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic