Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Coustille Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Coustille Swords         Reply with quote

I just noticed, for the first time, the so-called "Coustille Sword" for sale from Museum Replicas. I was just wondering about the historical background and details of this sword, since Museum Replicas seems to have a rather limited description of it. MRL seems to suggest that there were quite a few swords made in the Coustille style; is this the case, or do we only know of one such sword? Any other historical details, or photos of antiques, would be appreciated.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Coustille Swords         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I just noticed, for the first time, the so-called "Coustille Sword" for sale from Museum Replicas. I was just wondering about the historical background and details of this sword, since Museum Replicas seems to have a rather limited description of it. MRL seems to suggest that there were quite a few swords made in the Coustille style; is this the case, or do we only know of one such sword? Any other historical details, or photos of antiques, would be appreciated.

Maybe this thread will help.

As far as historical examples go, I have not sean anything like it. Seems related to the cinquedea but with a more medieval rather than renaissance look to it. There are certainly daggers of similar size (read length) described.

Alexi
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I owned one a few years back. I initially thought it was an odd copy of a cinquedea but there are major differences. The weapon was about 25 inches total and had an extremely wide blade. The blade also had a pronounced central rib running down both sides, almost to the tip. I don't know if this was an unusual blade type for this weapon since I've only owned one in my life. Unfortunately I dont have any photos of the weapon, I gave those to the current owner. The guard and pommel look fine to me though.

Don
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So it sounds as though this particular "sword" is just a particularly long dagger, rather than a particular style of "short sword" per se. It's a pity there isn't more information readily available, because I'd still like to know more about why this weapon looks very much like a conventional sword save for the fact that it's so short.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
So it sounds as though this particular "sword" is just a particularly long dagger, rather than a particular style of "short sword" per se. It's a pity there isn't more information readily available, because I'd still like to know more about why this weapon looks very much like a conventional sword save for the fact that it's so short.

I have an Anelace by MRL which seems like pretty much the same thing with a different name: Good hard steel
17" X 2 1/2" X 3/16" blade, not bad for the price.

In the grey zone between large dagger and short swords: I tend towards seeing it more as a large dagger than a short sword. To me a short sword of equal length to a long dagger would be differentiated by having more blade presence or just generally more heavy duty weapon. ( Just my personal take on it though. Wink )

Coustilles were common with ordinary soldiers as backup weapons and as the biggest weapon that could be socially acceptable to carry in civilian dress. The fashion of civilian sword carry seems more late Medieval or Renaissance custom and many Medieval cities had local laws about when carrying a sword was legal. ( Please fact check this as I am going from what I remember reading but don't remember the source. )

Since a lot of unsavoury characters, mercenary soldiers, would carry these the name Coustille also became synonymous with " Cut throat " or " Brigand ".

Honest citizens as well as Nobles might also carry these for personal protection as well as Rondel, Ballock daggers or dirks.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An eBay shop sells a "14TH c. MEDIEVAL CRECY DAGGER WITH SHEATH" (made in Italy, according to them) that looks so much like the Windlass Coustille that I believe it actually IS just that.
US$49.
I found it here
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
An eBay shop sells a "14TH c. MEDIEVAL CRECY DAGGER WITH SHEATH" (made in Italy, according to them) that looks so much like the Windlass Coustille that I believe it actually IS just that.
US$49.
I found it here

Actually, Darksword (the seller) usually borrows their designs from other makers. There are subtle, but noticeable, differences between that auction item and the MRL version.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Actually, Darksword (the seller) usually borrows their designs from other makers. There are subtle, but noticeable, differences between that auction item and the MRL version.

I did notice a small difference or two but wrongly assumed Windlass didn't stick to their own design. Thx.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Coustille Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic