Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Curiousity Question-Humor me Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Derek Estabrook

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Curiousity Question-Humor me         Reply with quote

I'm curious as to why there is so little overlap between sword steel and armor steel. You would think that the properties that would lend itself to a good sword would also apply to armor. Now its probably just me not knowing much about the craft aside from a lot about the basics, but why couldn't they hammer out a billet of wootz and make a breastplate? I've never heard of such a thing so I'm wondering, why not? L6 armor? Now don't get me wrong, I'm no armorer, but I'm not some stupid high fantasy "super" armor questing newbie either. So I'm looking to the pros to answer a simple, if naive question. Any input would be appreciated. Written in haste, so if I need to clarify or repost later I apologize.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Curiousity Question-Humor me         Reply with quote

Derek Estabrook wrote:
L6 armor? Now don't get me wrong, I'm no armorer, but I'm not some stupid high fantasy "super" armor questing newbie either. So I'm looking to the pros to answer a simple, if naive question. Any input would be appreciated. Written in haste, so if I need to clarify or repost later I apologize.

I can't help you with all of your questions, but I need to take a moment to debunk the L6-mystique. L6 has received great accolades, mainly from Howard Clark's extra-tough L6 bainite katana blades. L6 is a fine steel, but Howard's heat treatment routine (the bainite part) is an enormous factor in its strength. Conventionally heat-treated L6, from what I've always heard, is really not a whole lot better than other conventionally heat-treated steels like 5160, etc.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Derek Estabrook

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: L6         Reply with quote

Not to get offtopic too much since I'd like to answer my original question and not turn just into an L6 debate. I'd agree with you for the most part about L6. It is way overhyped. Still, there is something I love about it. For the most part it isn't much better than 5160 and other good quality steels, but I like the results when quality smiths like Michael Pearce, Jake Powning, and down the list make blades of it. From what I've heard it can typically get harder, tougher than most steels (done right of course) without becoming as brittle as most steels would get. Sounds like good potential for armor for me. Still, though its probably a lot more time and effort (you'd have to have a very good smith) and even then it might be a failed project. Just seeing if L6 would be good armor material. For all I know maybe its a bit too brittle / inflexible for armor (though I would think that would make it more useless for swords since I'd assume a sword has to flex more than armor). For all I know maybe it would even flex too much since flexing means potential crushing damage. Maybe thats why sword steels don't make good armor steels. Anyway, I'm done being my own sound board and answering my own questions is probably just making it more confusing for myself and any readers so I'll sign off. Maybe I'm totally wrong to begin with, but I don't hear much about the typical sword steels being used for armor except the 10xxx series and forgive me if I'm putting that part wrong.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To get back to your question, let me address a couple of things, all of which are speculation. I'm also speaking very generally, which may not work for every time period or situation.

For medieval armourers:
-Cost. Sword steel was probably a better steel than what was used in many armours (especially early on), and could have been more rare and costly.
-Hardenability. Sword blades had to be hardenable so they could have the hardness to retain an edge without being too brittle. Armour wasn't always tempered and in some eras was made of material much closer to iron than to steel. In fact, the medieval warrior may have preferred softer armour whose dents could be hammered out to harder armour that might crack.

For modern armourers:
-Cost. I would imagine mild steel in plate form would be cheaper than billets of 5160, 1075, etc.
-Accuracy. Since most armour (at least in some eras) was not hardened, accuracy buffs may prefer mild steel.
-Workability. It may be easier to work mild plate than tougher steels, too.

I think sword steels aren't used in armour for many of the same reasons they aren't used in guards and pommels: cost, accuracy, and necessity (or lack thereof) of having hardenable/expensive steel where it's not needed.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schneiker

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not speaking as an expert here, but I do have experience with steel and figured i'd toss a couple of thoughts out there. In general, the harder the steel the lower the toughness. When you're talking swords to armour, you're comparing two things with a completely different function. With swords you need the carbon content or alloy for hardenability to produce and maintain an edge. Otherwise you would be sharpening your blade every 5 minutes. The sword does need to be tough, which is why the blades are tempered to decrease hardness and brittleness. With a piece of armour, I would think that you would tend to want a much softer tougher steel. Hard and springy enough to want to retain its shape, but soft enough to allow deformation and absorb blows. Same reason that simple padded garments can act as armour. It spreads the force of a blow over more time and a larger area.

That was speaking from a finished product perspective. Another thing to consider would be actually producing armour with those kinds of steels. Low carbon annealed steel can be effectively worked cold for many pieces and heat treated when finished. A high carbon or alloy steel would be too brittle and much harder to work. I'm sure it could be done, but that is why stainless steel is always more expensive, it's a pain to try to form. And then there is always cost. An L6 suit of armour would be bad enough, but an entire pattern welded steel suit would be beyond ridiculously expensive Eek! .
Aaron Schneiker

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like Chad hit most of my points already. Oh well, guess i'll have to be faster on the draw in the future Big Grin .
Derek Estabrook

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and good input. Still, I must point out that the best armour out there is tempered steel. Mild steel for the most part is secondary to good quality stainless as stainless can be layered thinner and still be as strong or stronger. Tempered steel even surpasses stainless by far allowing you to have 20 gauge limb protection that can protect like 12 gauge mild steel. Still, it would interesting if metallurgists were give an unlimited budget, what kind of steel would they use. I've checked a lot of steel places and unless you're pretty competent in the field you get dizzy and give up long before you can get a good comparison of the different types of steels out there. Man, there are a lot.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Curiousity Question-Humor me
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic