Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Mar 20: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
50%
 50%  [ 23 ]
Very Good
36%
 36%  [ 17 ]
Good
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 46

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Mar 20: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Spotlight:
Oakeshott Type XVII Swords
An article by Chad Arnow

A Visitor's Experience: The
Wallace Collection
An article by Chad Arnow

Albion Armorers Sempach Sword

Added to Chad's Collection

Wallpaper: Albion Sempach and Landgraf

Created by Nathan Robinson

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very good reviews Chad. I'd like to add that you've contributed to my proudness of owning a AT 1526 "Lady Ash".
Happy Happy Happy
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice job, Chad! I have a real soft spot for those XVII's. I think they are extremely sexy! Is the figure xvii.5 the same one as this? I've had that one in my list of favorites for a very long time.

Helen, you should be proud! Lucky you. Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Very nice job, Chad! I have a real soft spot for those XVII's. I think they are extremely sexy! Is the figure xvii.5 the same one as this? I've had that one in my list of favorites for a very long time.

Pamela,
Yes, that's the one. It's such a neat example. By the way, I like Type XVII's, too. Happy The Sempach really changed my mind about this type and has changed my collecting habits in some ways, too. I now have this crazy urge to assemble a transitional harness....

Thanks for the kind words, Helen and Pamela.

This spotlight completes our Oakeshott Spotlight Series, which is something exciting for me. The Wallace Collection article is the latest in what is an ongoing series highlighting museums of interest to our community. First-hand, 3-dimensional viewing of museum pieces is the best way to truly appreciate them. We're hoping to bring a little of the experience to the reader, as well as perhaps encourage them to make their own visits.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very good articles. Cool

QUOTE:
" While some are said to display excellent handling characteristics, others seem to be designed to damage and crack armour, much like an axe or warhammer. "

Interesting as well as the fact that cutting ability is surprisingly good against soft target. Against plate the blade would seem to be able to function like a sharpened bar of steel or a mace with a single sharpened flange: The most interesting thing to me is that adds a different way of looking at the use of this king of blade as mainly a thrusting weapon.

The forward balance of some of the heavier examples would give type XVII that smashing concussive quality that other thrusting types with balance much closer to the guard would have to depend mostly on the thrust: So these type XVII give you an extra option of being a sword and a blunt force trauma weapon.

Well, this is the first time I've read this interpretation ( Or if I have before it didn't register. ) , at the very least this small phrase
make me see the type XVII in a completely different way. Cool Cool Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Very good articles. Cool

QUOTE:
" While some are said to display excellent handling characteristics, others seem to be designed to damage and crack armour, much like an axe or warhammer. "

Interesting as well as the fact that cutting ability is surprisingly good against soft target. Against plate the blade would seem to be able to function like a sharpened bar of steel or a mace with a single sharpened flange: The most interesting thing to me is that adds a different way of looking at the use of this king of blade as mainly a thrusting weapon.

The forward balance of some of the heavier examples would give type XVII that smashing concussive quality that other thrusting types with balance much closer to the guard would have to depend mostly on the thrust: So these type XVII give you an extra option of being a sword and a blunt force trauma weapon.

Well, this is the first time I've read this interpretation ( Or if I have before it didn't register. ) , at the very least this small phrase
make me see the type XVII in a completely different way. Cool Cool Cool

Jean,
Please keep in mind that the quote about the Sempach doing well against light targets describes one example of a sword of Type XVII, not them all. Some will well have more or less acute edge angles, making them more or less chisel/axe-like than the Sempach. Some will be better cutters, some will be more percussive in nature. Not all will be both. Happy

The Sempach did very well against soft targets, as well as the Regent. Against harder targets (pumpkins), it did less well, as I expected. The thick cross-section inhibits cutting in some ways. I wouldn't say the Sempach is designed like an axe or warhammer as much as some others of the Type might be.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Jean,
Please keep in mind that the quote about the Sempach doing well against light targets describes one example of a sword of Type XVII, not them all. Some will well have more or less acute edge angles, making them more or less chisel/axe-like than the Sempach. Some will be better cutters, some will be more percussive in nature. Not all will be both. Happy

The Sempach did very well against soft targets, as well as the Regent. Against harder targets (pumpkins), it did less well, as I expected. The thick cross-section inhibits cutting in some ways. I wouldn't say the Sempach is designed like an axe or warhammer as much as some others of the Type might be.

Thanks for the nuances: So, some would be better cutters and some might be better concussive implements. Wink

One point though, being a soso cutter against hard targets may not be that important as this is when the blunt instrument, mace / axe like nature does the damage even if the actual cutting is minimal: If you opponent is neutralized, exactly by which mechanism doesn't really matter. Exclamation If you break an arm it's almost as good as chopping it off. Razz

Oh, and then you can just finish him off with the point of your sword or " Rondel Dagger ". ( O.K. I'm obsessed with those at the moment, couldn't resist. Razz Laughing Out Loud ) Or, get a nice ransom that you might have missed on if the cut had been more efficient. Question

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Thanks for the nuances: So, some would be better cutters and some might be better concussive implements. Wink

One point though, being a soso cutter against hard targets may not be that important as this is when the blunt instrument, mace / axe like nature does the damage even if the actual cutting is minimal: If you opponent is neutralized, exactly by which mechanism doesn't really matter. Exclamation If you break an arm it's almost as good as chopping it off. Razz

Or, get a nice ransom that you might have missed on if the cut had been more efficient. Question

There is always variety within a type. Most Type XVII's are pretty long, but some are short, like an example in the Wallace Collection and the sword in the St. George illustration. Some have very narrow, rapier- or estoc-esque blades while some are more "sword-like." Some balance way out the blade, some don't. Etc., etc. Happy Since swords of this type appear in the thick of the transition from mail to plate and die out in the mid-5th century when full plate is in swing among the nobility, there will naturally be some variation I suppose.

And we do know that ransoming was big business back then, though there are some notable examples of "valuable" prisoners being killed in battle or after capture. Fortunes were made off looting and ransoming. So, killing a well-armoured opponent may have been less the goal than disabling/disarming, etc. them in many cases.

Happy

ChadA

Matthew K. Shea

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gotta add to the kudos for your articles, Chad. It's nice to see the Oakeshott series completed, and the timing's great too -- it was only yesterday that I came to check out the info on the XVII's, only to realize there wasn't one yet!

I also really love the "A Visitor's Experience" series. Too bad you couldn't take any photos. Oh well -- might be going to London this summer anyway, so I'll have to make sure I make the trip.

Again, great articles, Chad, and thanks for the (always good) updates, Nathan.

Proud member of the Academy Of European Medieval Martial Arts.

"Those who live by the sword live a good, long time!"
~Minsc, in Baldur's Gate II
Matt Phillips

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it is certainly always nice to see updates to the site. Especially with articles as informative as these new additions. Thanks for the great information in continuation with the Oakshott series of classifications. I especially liked the article on the visit to the Wallace collection. As I will find it hard to make the trek there myself, I am always appreciative of insight into some of the beautiful history that is out there for study and enjoyment. Keep up the good work, Chad!
Matt

"Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done." William Shakespear
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew and Matt,
Thanks! It's nice to know these articles are appreciated. Happy

I wish I could have taken photos at the Wallace Collection, too, but it's a very strict policy that prohibits that. Oh well. I guess everyone will have to make a visit or at least buy the catalogues. Happy

Many of the highlights of their collection appear in English-language works. Oakeshott talks a lot about examples from their collection (and pcictures a good number of them) and many appear in the Edge/Paddock Arms & Armor of the Medieval Knight. Many other books have info, too.

Happy

ChadA

Bill Strait

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad:

I just wanted to add one more thank you from an appreciative reader and sword enthusiast. The entire spot light series is outstanding and your efforts and those of the others working at myArmoury do not go unnoticed. Thanks again and keep up the good work. Also, thanks again for the information you shared with me last week on pricing, etc. in connection with my efforts to put together a round table. Happy

Best regards,

Bill
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Strait wrote:
Chad:

I just wanted to add one more thank you from an appreciative reader and sword enthusiast. The entire spot light series is outstanding and your efforts and those of the others working at myArmoury do not go unnoticed. Thanks again and keep up the good work. Also, thanks again for the information you shared with me last week on pricing, etc. in connection with my efforts to put together a round table. Happy

Best regards,

Bill

Bill,
You're most welcome. I have a lot of fun doing these articles; I suspect our other authors do, too. Happy The spotlight series will continue with plenty of other topics, even though we're done with the Oakeshott sword types. We have many, many, many very cool things coming up outside the spotlight series, too. Stay tuned!

Happy

ChadA

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great work as always Chad! I especially loved your article on the Type XVII. Funny, it seems that type is one that people either love it or hate it. Confused They kinda remind me of a XVa with a fuller. Razz I'll pick up a Landgraf one day.

Great article on the Wallace Collection as well. Too bad they won't let you take pics; maybe it's flash photography they're worried about. I remember when I visited the Louvre in 1996, they wouldn't let people take pictures of the Mona Lisa. Oh well, keep up the great work! -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Great work as always Chad! I especially loved your article on the Type XVII. Funny, it seems that type is one that people either love it or hate it. Confused They kinda remind me of a XVa with a fuller. Razz I'll pick up a Landgraf one day.

Great article on the Wallace Collection as well. Too bad they won't let you take pics; maybe it's flash photography they're worried about. I remember when I visited the Louvre in 1996, they wouldn't let people take pictures of the Mona Lisa. Oh well, keep up the great work! -Ted

Thanks, Ted! With the Wallace it's photos of any kind that are prohibited. Some museums allow non-flash, non-tripod photography, but the Wallace Collection is adamant about none at all. Pity.

Happy

ChadA

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Edward Hitchens wrote:

Thanks, Ted! With the Wallace it's photos of any kind that are prohibited. Some museums allow non-flash, non-tripod photography, but the Wallace Collection is adamant about none at all. Pity.

There is one exception to this. They will let you take pictures of yourself or your buddy in the armour that they have there for "try-on" purposes. I don't think my buddy Patrick would take too kindly to a public display of himself in a sallet (it definately did not fit him), but here's a piture of me in the armour that they had available (it's more than a little back-lit, sorry):

-Grey

P.S. Glasses with a sallet and a necktie with a brigandine. I could start a new fashion trend... WTF?!

Attachment: 42.26 KB
Wallace.JPG

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
There is one exception to this. They will let you take pictures of yourself or your buddy in the armour that they have there for "try-on" purposes. I don't think my buddy Patrick would take too kindly to a public display of himself in a sallet (it definately did not fit him), but here's a piture of me in the armour that they had available (it's more than a little back-lit, sorry):

-Grey

P.S. Glasses with a sallet and a necktie with a brigandine. I could start a new fashion trend... WTF?!

When I was there that stuff was in a special room they had set up downstairs. No photos were allowed in the museum proper. In fact, they were very strict about making sure you didn't take camera bags or things that looked like camera bags past the coat-check/visitor info desks. The docents throughout the museum also kept a watchful eye. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Mar 20: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic