Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Introduction & A Question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew K. Shea

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Introduction & A Question         Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I logged on to vote in the poll when I noticed I had registered more than two months ago now without posting yet, and I figured I had better post soon or else I'll probably never get around to it Confused

Anyway, I always tell myself that I won't start off in a new forum with a cliched introduction post, but invariably I always do. Just seems ... natural. I am a first-year university student who has always loved fantasy and the Medieval Ages, especially arms and armour, but have only recently started getting really interested in this from a historical perspective, not a fantasy one. That's when I discovered myArmoury, and I must say it's probably been the best online resource I've found.

And now, I add a question to put a new spin and prevent this from being just another introduction post ( Razz ): I have a copy of George Cameron Stone's A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor in All Countries and in All Times, and I've read a few basic online reviews that range from "this is a decent general resource" to "this is a misinformed piece of garbage", but I'm looking for some more opinions on the book. I realize that there are some things in the book that are wrong or dated (for example, Stone says that the kusari gama was fired from a cannon, which I do not believe is thought to be the case anymore), but I don't know how much of it is like this. Is it in fact a good book, or should I read it with a grain of salt?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can look up the book in our bookstore and find that it's been rated by a few members on our site:

Click book cover to see it in our reading lists

We hadn't had anybody submit a review for it yet, though, so I just did.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
We hadn't had anybody submit a review for it yet, though, so I just did.

I can't believe I never put that on my list. I've owned the book for years. Review forthcoming...

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the book also, bought around 1975, I found it interesting with a wide variety of pictures.

If there are innacuracies it is because it was originally written around 1934 and relied on a lot of Victorian interpretations that are either false or out of fashion being replaced by other theories. Read it with a grain of salt but no need to bring the whole salt shaker, even when/if the text is wrong the pictures are worth it. And there is a lot more in it right than there is wrong !

Finding a few dated theories does not mean it is a " crap " book: Some people are a little to quick to judge things when they find a few things they believe is wrong and then condem the whole book as useless.

Bottom line, I'm glad I have it.

Oh, Matthew, welcome to this site: I find that people here can exchange opinions and disagree in a very open minded way and remain respectful. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matthew K. Shea

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reviews, guys. That's pretty much what I thought, but I still felt like getting some more viewpoints.

I guess if we can say one thing about the book, it's that is has a lot of weapons pics. I know it's helped add flavour to several Dungeons & Dragons games Big Grin

Proud member of the Academy Of European Medieval Martial Arts.

"Those who live by the sword live a good, long time!"
~Minsc, in Baldur's Gate II

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Introduction & A Question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic