Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A March Highlight Item Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: A&A March Highlight Item         Reply with quote

Best of March to all from A&A

This was discussed in another thread but as it was imbedded in a previous discussion some folks had missed it, one of whom I just talked to and suggested I do a separate post to make sure everyone caught the opportunity. Sorry if we missed you first time around.

The Highlight item for March is the #003 Spiked Flail, special price of 180.00 and s/h of 28.00

Best To ALL from A&A Inc.

Attachment: 30.52 KB
HLMarch.jpg

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darnit Craig you aren't making this any easier!!!!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Get it Russ! Get it!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really want to, but I keep telling myself I'm holding out for a Rondel Dagger from them. Besides I owe Jesse Frank a sizable sum of money for a project... Maybe I can sell something...
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you buy it now, you'll be saving money!

I'm sorry...I don't mean to goad you into an impulse buy. Big Grin I just happen to think this is a very attractive flail at a very attractive price. If I were not in the middle of a self-imposed purchase moratorium, I'd be very, very tempted to make this my first A&A piece.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat, Sean. That's a great price, and I'm sorely tempted... but alas, need to save the money for the time being.

But man, that thing is cool!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
If you buy it now, you'll be saving money!

I'm sorry...I don't mean to goad you into an impulse buy. Big Grin I just happen to think this is a very attractive flail at a very attractive price. If I were not in the middle of a self-imposed purchase moratorium, I'd be very, very tempted to make this my first A&A piece.

LOL you sir are without mercy. I KNEW this item of the month thing that A&A is doing was going to be a bad thing for me. The flail was not even on the horizon for the foreseable future and now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out a way to pay for it. I've still got most of a month... man man man... Happy

Andy Bain

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to grab this one as well. Unfortunately flails are illegal up here in Canada. <Sigh> It's possible I might own one flail from Lutel that snuck through customs as 'decorative ironwork'. That might have been back in the day before I knew it was a prohibited weapon. I wouldn't want to take a chance and hope for lightning to strike twice though.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a really nice looking piece, and an attractive price. But I would probably injure myself very seriously with a flail, so I'll have to pass on this one. I will watch out for a mace, though.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I'm in the same boat, Sean. That's a great price, and I'm sorely tempted... but alas, need to save the money for the time being.

But man, that thing is cool!

I am also in this boat. Hope it doesn't sink Big Grin
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received my flail today and it's excellent, I really like the way it handles. I took it to some thick folded cardboard that had been compressed together resulting in about 10 inches thickness all strapped together with plastic banding and proceeded to "flail" away at it, WOW you want to talk about inflicting incredible damage, this flail is the "toy" to do it with!
I mean this flail just plain gouged the hell out of this strapped cardboard, tore it to oblivion! I gotta say I love it and I have the matching mace. This is a fun one to own!

Having lotsa fun with this Flail!

Bob Big Grin
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Bob, don't kill yourself !

Kenton
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Kenton, no need to worry, I have years of practice with other kinds of weapons to know enough to respect what a flail could do! That and I was a cabinet maker for 7 years using 5 horse 3 phase table saws on a daily basis. Yep, you gotta always respect a weapon or machinery!

I did get a good laugh! Thanks!

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One good thing is that the chain is fairly short limiting the range the head will go out of control is limited. I would always hold the flail low enough that the spiked ball can't hit your own hand no matter how out of control it gets if you make a mistake or whatever it decides to do bouncing off a target.

Used to have a cheap decorators version around 1970 before somebody in government decided to make these prohibited up here. Sad

So if I survived that decade playing with one of these, with no training, it means that I was either gifted, incredibly lucky or real careful always keeping the thing under control. Razz Laughing Out Loud

With your martial arts experience, Bob, I think you know how to curb your enthusiasm ! ( And you do have that in large amounts! Wink Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Jean, yeah you got me there for sure Exclamation Always a danger is over confidence, which makes me think of the owner of a Danish cabinet shop where I once worked years ago, he had a scar on his index finger from where he'd been running wood through a table saw piece after piece pretty fast. This guy was a real master cabinet maker if I ever saw one. Over confidence and too much enthusiasm can be a very dangerous mix!

Thanks, this is so true!

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob:

I have an uncle who cut his hand length wise decades ago on some sort of table saw. ( He was a teacher at a trade school I think ) This was years ago and I am out of touch with that side of the family, so I may have the details wrong as I was just a little kid when he would show us the scar.

Just goes to show what a second of inattention can do. Eek!

I assume it was lengthways because around 1960 they weren't that good at micro surgery and reattaching cut off body parts !
Since he still had al his fingers I would guess the blade cut between a couple of fingers into the palm and maybe close to the wrist ! In any case, the idea sounds pretty gruesome. Eek! Eek! Eek!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Tue 14 Mar, 2006 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To get back to the subject matter of this thread, the chain is short enough on the flail to make it quite easy to control, I really would advise to not be afraid to have some fun with this wonderful bludgeon! All the chain links have a very solid weld on them and the steel ball of spikes is thoroughly welded as well. When holding the flail at the handle there really is no way to hit that hand with the "business end" of it. As with many things, the key to the striking with the flail is to deliver through and not pull back, thereby letting the flail do what it was meant to do. Much the same as following through a swing with a baseball bat at a pitch, only in a different motion as you would not want to hit your ribcage with this lil baby! Laughing Out Loud
But in my opinion, there is really no reason to be afraid of it, so if indeed you find this piece attractive, I say "Go For It"!

My Sword Salute of Respect to All

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 14 Mar, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
To get back to the subject matter of this thread, the chain is short enough on the flail to make it quite easy to control, I really would advise to not be afraid to have some fun with this wonderful bludgeon! All the chain links have a very solid weld on them and the steel ball of spikes is thoroughly welded as well. When holding the flail at the handle there really is no way to hit that hand with the "business end" of it. As with many things, the key to the striking with the flail is to deliver through and not pull back, thereby letting the flail do what it was meant to do. Much the same as following through a swing with a baseball bat at a pitch, only in a different motion as you would not want to hit your ribcage with this lil baby! Laughing Out Loud
But in my opinion, there is really no reason to be afraid of it, so if indeed you find this piece attractive, I say "Go For It"!

My Sword Salute of Respect to All

Bob

Bob: I fully agree with you that one blow at a time there is little risk of hitting one's self. The only thing I can see being dangerous would be a series of quick strikes in a fast combination were one could have control problems when redirecting from one arc to another. Also only if one starts swinging in a completely out of control way, something one shouldn't do with any dangerous object.

Oh, Bob, I assume that I'm not telling you anything you don't know: Just mentioning it for the sake of people who have never handled one of these. Big Grin

One nice thing is that one can swing at full maximum power without feeling any shock to the hand when the head strikes the target as no vibration or energy is reflected back to the hand through the chain as opposed to the solid shaft of the spike mace. Cool

Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Apr, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm excited to announce that it is April (hopefully I will have birthday money pouring in like water). What do you have for me this month Craig?

Best wishes to the folks at Arms and Armor,

Kenton
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 02 Apr, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh by the way, I got the matching mace last summer! What a cute matching bludgeon set! Laughing Out Loud

Bob

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A March Highlight Item
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic