Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Good buy? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mathias Andersson

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Good buy?         Reply with quote

Hi , i was asked if i wanted to buy one of the Lord of the Rings sword replicas, itīs the Strider Ranger sword, the seller wanted 95$ for it? Anybody who knows anything about these swords? Is it a good buy?
Itīs only for wall decoration, but i donīt want to hang a uselles sword on my wall....
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it's the officially-licensed United Cutlery version, then those go for about $150-175 USD on the internet, so $95 is fair if the sword is in good condition. As far as not wanting to hang a useless sword on your wall, the sword you are talking about (if it's the UC version) is made for display only and has a 420 stainless steel blade and rat-tail tang, so it isn't in any way a "usable" sword. Happy
Mathias Andersson

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info:) I will think it over if to buy it. Iīm saving up for an Albion Talhoffer, so the money may be better saved Wink
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think its safe to say that almost without question, any swords made as replicas of those seen in movies are useless.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want a functional Strideresque sword, how about the ATrim Borderwatch over at http://www.christianfletcher.com ? It sells for a lot more than the one from United Cutlery, but quality and functionality cost more.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a few of these, they're what got me started with swords. I've now progressed to only spending money on real swords. I don't have the Ranger Sword but I've held one, it weighs 4lb-8oz, no distal taper, false edged, looks good as far as a wall hanger goes. It is purely decorative. My 2cents-save your money for the real steel.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, the UC version of the "Strider" sword doesn't have a traditional rat tail tang, or at least so I've been told

Attachment: 25.61 KB
UC_Strider.jpg

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I think its safe to say that almost without question, any swords made as replicas of those seen in movies are useless.

Exceptions will be those found on Albion's Filmswords site.
Also, the Windlass Kingdom of Heaven line doesn't look too bad, for the price.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Quivey wrote:
Interestingly enough, the UC version of the "Strider" sword doesn't have a traditional rat tail tang, or at least so I've been told

I stand corrected. That looks beefier than I would have expected; however, you still don't want to swing around a 4 lb. stainless decorative sword with what appears to be about a 3/16" thick, half -threaded (only threaded on two sides from what I can see in the pic) nub holding the whole thing together. Eek!
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
David Quivey wrote:

I stand corrected. That looks beefier than I would have expected; however, you still don't want to swing around a 4 lb. stainless decorative sword with what appears to be about a 3/16" thick, half -threaded (only threaded on two sides from what I can see in the pic) nub holding the whole thing together. Eek!

Also, the guard and pommel are made of mystery metal as far as I know: Probably some form of zinc alloy only O.K. on a purely decorative piece.

Anybody know exactly what is used for guards by United Cutlery for fantasy pieces ? Sorry if a bit off topic.

Oh, saving for an Albion seems like a better idea. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Also, the guard and pommel are made of mystery metal as far as I know: Probably some form of zinc alloy only O.K. on a purely decorative piece.

Anybody know exactly what is used for guards by United Cutlery for fantasy pieces ? Sorry if a bit off topic.

Zinc alloy would be my guess for pretty much all the hilt furniture on UC's pieces: cheap, low melting point, supposedly offers very even casting properties, etc. Question Happy

P.S. My casting experience is limited to bullets, so I could be wrong, but it seems a logical enough guess...
David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heck no, neither would I. I noticed the flat sides on the threads as well - looks like a major comprimise even with the thicker tang. Still, it's an interesting thing for UC to even bother with.

G. Scott H. wrote:
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Zinc alloy would be my guess for pretty much all the hilt furniture on UC's pieces....

I wonder about the quality of the UC Lord of the Rings "Museum Collection", which I noticed while browsing at Kult of Athena. The copy says: "...The full tang blades are forged from high carbon Toledo steel, made in Spain. The hilts are crafted utilizing precious metals, high quality woods, and top grain leathers...." As an example, see this Museum Collection version of Gandalf's Glamdring. Of course, at US$530, this one is pretty pricey, and getting into Albion/A&A territory.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The solid metal guard and pommel are plated in genuine silver with a weathered and distressed finish to replicate the actual movie prop

WTF?! Yes, but what KIND of solid metal?! Advertising can be so frustrating at times... Eek! Laughing Out Loud These may be of better quality than their run of the mill LOTR swords, but, to expand on what Steve said, for the price you're already into Atrim and some Tinker territory and nearing the lower end of Albion and A&A prices, so...... Happy

Last edited by G. Scott H. on Fri 10 Mar, 2006 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Zinc alloy would be my guess for pretty much all the hilt furniture on UC's pieces....

I wonder about the quality of the UC Lord of the Rings "Museum Collection", which I noticed while browsing at Kult of Athena. The copy says: "...The full tang blades are forged from high carbon Toledo steel, made in Spain. The hilts are crafted utilizing precious metals, high quality woods, and top grain leathers...." As an example, see this Museum Collection version of Gandalf's Glamdring. Of course, at US$530, this one is pretty pricey, and getting into Albion/A&A territory.

It's only getting into this territory price wise Steve. The Museum Collection swords are claimed to be fully functional by UC. I do not have the MC Glamdring myself but people who do say the blade edge does not have functional edge geometry and there is no distal taper in the blade. There have been instances of the swords arriving to customers with pronounced bends in the blade. This is information I have seen written by others with photos to support, but with these issues I think you can make your own assumption about the functionality of these blades.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
...but with these issues I think you can make your own assumption about the functionality of these blades.
But, with the glassed-in wooden cases, I imagine that they function quite well as wallhangers for LOTR fans. Laughing Out Loud
- Sir Toby Belch
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

Exceptions will be those found on Albion's Filmswords site.
Also, the Windlass Kingdom of Heaven line doesn't look too bad, for the price.

Maybe Steve, but I don't think the Albion Filmswords are intended for anything other than decoration. They're certainly not made primarily with the intent to handle well. I can't speak regarding The Kingdom of Heaven, so perhaps you might be right.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
...but I don't think the Albion Filmswords are intended for anything other than decoration. They're certainly not made primarily with the intent to handle well....
Well, I haven't personally handled anything available for sale on that site. And certain pieces, like those of the Conan series, probably only handle well if you're built like Arnold in his prime. But I assumed (dangerous word, I know) that other pieces, such as those from Timeline, would be more typical of other Albion pieces in their functionality. And then, there are also the Del Tin pieces, whose handling, from what I have read, probably ranges from good to bad, depending on the model.
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Good buy?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic