Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Halberd dimensions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Vaclav Hajek

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fabrice Cognot wrote:
hm I fear these pics disappeared from my HD.
Well, at least I now I have other pics on my parent's computer. I'll try to find them and post them next week maybe.

It would be nice if you post some more pictures, but don't worry if you can't find them. Thanks any way.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vaclav Hajek wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Just han another thought... you mention you want to build a 15th century halberd but the pattern that you are looking at my be a little too early for 15th century?

Actually you are right. This halberd is late 14th century design (c. 1390), but I guess it was still in use during the 15th century. Besides the Lucern Chronicle I saw it at few other 15th century drawings. If I find them, I may post it here. The reason I chose this halberd is that it looks easier to make, as it would be my first attempt. Wink

I completely agree, integrating that beak into the halberd seems like it would technically be more challenging as would makeing the halberd socketed as the later designs were rather then having "eyes." I very much look forward to seeing what you come up with and can't wait to see your future projects.

If I might ask can you briefly outline your plan at this point as to how you intend to proceed?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Halberds similar to the pattern Vaclav posted cab be found in Diebold Schilling's Lucern Chronicle as well as in the other illustrated Swiss chronicles which depict scenes from the Burgundian and Swabian wars. It's a simple but effective design and there wouldn't be a whole lot of reasons to abandon it.
/Daniel

There are many examples of older equipment being mixed in with newer designs throughout contemporary art. My guess is that older weapons were not abandoned but rather used until they were unusable unless there was some sort of technical reason that a particular design had become ineffective. Still, a progression in styles in pole arms can be seen over time and the one that Vaclav posted would seem to have started being produced in the 14th rather then the 15th century.

Vaclav Hajek

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
If I might ask can you briefly outline your plan at this point as to how you intend to proceed?

I have no clue at the moment. First I'm going to make some drawings with the measurements and than I'll check with a friend of mine, who is a smith. We will try to make this halberd together but he doesn't have any experience with the historical weapons, so that's why I'm searching for the necessary info.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vaclav Hajek wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

I have no clue at the moment. First I'm going to make some drawings with the measurements and than I'll check with a friend of mine, who is a smith. We will try to make this halberd together but he doesn't have any experience with the historical weapons, so that's why I'm searching for the necessary info.

Man... wish you had this book. They show some of the construction methods in it. Some of them were just a chunk of steel ground to shape and the eyelets bend around and welded. Others were actually two pieces of steel folded around and welded together with the socket at the "fold."

Vaclav Hajek

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I think that's basically how we will do it. We will take a 3mm steel plate, cut out the shape, bend the eyelets and weld them. Happy
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, Waldman makes an interesting point about the hafts of these two-eye halberds. In cases in which the upper eye is smaller, it seems that the original hafting method was not to taper the haft but rather to create, for lack of a better term, a "step down" to the smaller diameter required to fit in the upper eye. Like this:

Attachment: 6.28 KB
haft.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some day this book will be mine. Oh yes, some day it will be mine. Wink
PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Halberd dimensions
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: