Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Some pre-sparring posing in the snow. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Some pre-sparring posing in the snow.         Reply with quote

Some pre-sparring pics, or id be covered in snow.. Full contact sparring/fighting with custom-made RSW bastard-sword. Fun fun..

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/1441/sca0038vj.jpg
http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/802/sca0020yb.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2305/sca0017jz.jpg
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pics and looks like fun! As good as playing (American) football in the snow! Cold are we? I hope you have on plenty of insulation! I wore chainmail to a Halloween party over just a shirt and under a surcorat and was freezing in the slightest breeze and boiling near heat sources. Amazing how metal conducts and loses heat! Big Grin
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, those are great pictures Big Grin I'm jealous of your snow. Barley a flake here this year.

Love your gambeson Exclamation Where did you get it?

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only maille i was wearing was my homemade maille-bevour; maille, leather and linnen sown together - very comfortable. I sometimes wear it around the house just cos its nice to wear..;/

The pourpoint is from Matuls in poland. They make great stuff.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
I sometimes wear it around the house just cos its nice to wear..;/

The pourpoint is from Matuls in poland. They make great stuff.

Good ! Cool Somebody else who wears their arming clothes around the house because it is so comfortable. Big Grin

In my case the Revival Clothing Gambison in black. http://www.revivalclothing.com/

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Running around in mail in the snow isn't that bad, as long as you keep moving. The arming clothes are thick enough to provide ample insulation.
On the other hand, if you stay still for long in -10 degrees, you are going to be cold no matter what you are wearing, short of arctic gear...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neat pictures. By the way, what is all of that white stuff? I have never seen that around here.Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
(outside temperature here at 11:00 am = 20° C / 68° F)

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armour and snow is no problem i think, you just freeze thats all. But armour and heat, now thats horrid business...
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
Armour and snow is no problem i think, you just freeze thats all. But armour and heat, now thats horrid business...

Yes, here in Florida I think that armour would be quite unpleasant for most of the year.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice pics! This is slightly off topic, but do you wear that armour with the padded swords? I would think the armour, particularly the gauntlets, would rip the padding to shreds in no time. Eek!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Nice pics! This is slightly off topic, but do you wear that armour with the padded swords? I would think the armour, particularly the gauntlets, would rip the padding to shreds in no time. :eek:

That actually is an issue that im dealing with right now. We had those swords custom-made with added steel and stuff making em very solid and study. But they did get somewhat messed up, and we realized that steel and padding is not that hot together. Im actually in the crossroads of deciding what equipment to use. Trying some wooden wasters next weekend with clear edge and flat-sides, and hopefully get a better idea which direction to choose.

By the way, i like that vid-clip of you using the RSW - and as i can remember totally wooping your sparring-partners ass....;))
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are some great pics, your gameson really stands out. Looks like you had loads of fun. Just next time can you invite me to come along??? Laughing Out Loud
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen Miller wrote:
Those are some great pics, your gameson really stands out. Looks like you had loads of fun. Just next time can you invite me to come along??? :lol:

Ofcourse, just fly over! Altho im not sure i feel as secure in my masculinity as i do in my sallet to ever dare sword-fight a woman...;)))
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah. You'll get over it. Razz

The trick is just to get beaten enough times.
We have about 30-40% girls in our group...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
Trying some wooden wasters next weekend with clear edge and flat-sides, and hopefully get a better idea which direction to choose.

The gauntlets will also start chewing up the wasters a fair bit. Not nearly as badly as padded weapons, but it'll still happen. This isn't a problem if you don't mind replacing them semi-regularly (hence the name "waster"), but it's something to keep in mind. The helmet will also do some damage, but probably not as fast.

By the way, for the padded swords I'd recommend just using some normal padded gloves. Technically you can get away without wearing any gloves for those particular types of padded swords, though occassionally you'll get a hit land at just an angle where it can actually be pretty painful, so I'd personally recommend wearing them anyway. We had a guy get hit with a thrust to the finger that caused it to swell up, and this was with a padded sword through padded gloves.

Quote:
By the way, i like that vid-clip of you using the RSW - and as i can remember totally wooping your sparring-partners ass....Wink)

Oh, I wouldn't say I totally whooped Eric there at all... he got some pretty hard hits on me himself! Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

The gauntlets will also start chewing up the wasters a fair bit. Not nearly as badly as padded weapons, but it'll still happen. This isn't a problem if you don't mind replacing them semi-regularly (hence the name "waster"), but it's something to keep in mind. The helmet will also do some damage, but probably not as fast.

By the way, for the padded swords I'd recommend just using some normal padded gloves. Technically you can get away without wearing any gloves for those particular types of padded swords, though occassionally you'll get a hit land at just an angle where it can actually be pretty painful, so I'd personally recommend wearing them anyway. We had a guy get hit with a thrust to the finger that caused it to swell up, and this was with a padded sword through padded gloves.

Oh, I wouldn't say I totally whooped Eric there at all... he got some pretty hard hits on me himself! :)

http://www.jelldragon.com/images/lg1.jpg - Maby this is the middle option, cos i dont like sparring in any form of "now-adays clothing"..

And what i saw in that vid was wooping..such modesty!!
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:

The trick is just to get beaten enough times.
We have about 30-40% girls in our group...

Haha..i guess!

But where the heck do you find tough gals like that? I think its hard to find guys that will take a sword to the face, let alone girls...
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We stand around looking dashing, and they come to us... :P

No, seriously. Swordfighting actually appeals to quite a lot of girls these days.
And, we fight light contact, and don't hit each other in the face. (We use the same system as viking reenactors, with some modifications.) But most of our experienced girls do the high speed, helmet-and-hand-hits Huskar fighting as well...

(Huskar style movie clips from the Vinter 06 training event... Kongshirden 1260(from Bergen, with linen tunics) and 1308 (from Oslo, spanghelms and t-shirts) [/url]

W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:

(Huskar style movie clips from the Vinter 06 training event... Kongshirden 1260(from Bergen, with linen tunics) and 1308 (from Oslo, spanghelms and t-shirts) [/url]

Is that aluminum swords they are using? It is damn fast.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We use steel swords. The ones in the clips are quite light weight Atrims and and Paul Bins blades. But I used to do it with my 1,4kg Lutel, wich is pretty hefty. it must be added that the people in the clips are the most experienced fighters in both groups.
(I'm the guy with the linen tunic, hose, and round helmet... clips 2 and 4...)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Some pre-sparring posing in the snow.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: