Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Scabbard. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Scabbard.         Reply with quote

Need a scabbard for a Del tin im getting via albion, ive asked c fletcher, the guys at Tritonworks and albion - non of em could do it. I need a scabbard for around 200$ and someone that can make it by shipping through them from Albion. Any tips?
Also for any swedes reading this - Vet någon om det finns ett ställe som gör skidor här i Svea? transl; (do you know of any place here in Swe making scabbards?)
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

??? Can't do it???
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hehe badly put of me, i got you mixed up with Kevin Iseli..and i ment cant do it in my pricerange. Ive been looking at too many scabbard pages and i got the names mixed up, parden..
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
Hehe badly put of me, i got you mixed up with Kevin Iseli..and i ment cant do it in my pricerange. Ive been looking at too many scabbard pages and i got the names mixed up, parden..

Wink No worries. It's sort of a matter of pride for us at Tritonworks that we are willing to build a scabbard for basically anything with a blade so the "can't do it" thing sort of came as a "wait a minute" sort of moment. Happy As for doing it for the price... well that's an entirely different set of criteria for any maker. Happy

W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think ive actually sent u a mail with some questions about this, maby we can continue via mail and see if we can come up with something?
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Moderators,

It was not my intent to be drumming up business here but rather to address the issue of whether or not something could be done. Please modify this thread as you see fit. Happy

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know how handy you are with tools, or your confidence as a wood-worker, but I would say that making a scabbard is one of those things that you might be able to do yourself. That said, I've yet to make any, so I'm basing my comment off of the posts from other people who have done it. If memory serves, that is how Russ got started making scabbards in the first place.

Here are some threads on scabbard construction that I found with a quick search (there are more, just do a search and keep looking through the results):

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3811
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4951
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5835
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3869
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3874

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats interesting..if i had the tools and patience id do it. But im more into sewing and metal-hammering right now, wood is so fragile!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Moderators,

It was not my intent to be drumming up business here but rather to address the issue of whether or not something could be done. Please modify this thread as you see fit. Happy

We will modify as we see fit. Don't worry. Happy

No lines have really been crossed so far. We encourage tasteful maker advertising here, unlike other forums. Yor initial response to W. could perhaps have been less histrionic, but so far nothing has really jumped out as needing to be addressed.

Back to the thread.....

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey W.

I'm sure you probably already know this, but you could always try making a scabbard. I began my first scabbard project last weekend, and it really isn't that tough. I'm not finished, but I've got the woodcore hollowed out almost to how I want it. It took a few hours, but wasn't terribly tricky. You don't need high tech tools, either. I've done my core with nothing more than a screwdriver (using it as a chisel, cause I don't have a real chisel) and sandpaper. As for the leather work, that looks a bit tricky, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. In any case, if you have any aptitude with your hands and a little free time, I'm sure that you could make a scabbard that would suit you. There are many threads on this forum that I found helpful, but I primarily relied on the photo albums for pics of Aaron scabbard projects. His comments in the captions that go along with the pictures really gave me a good idea of how to go about the project.

Good luck,

Kenton
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton,

You can get a chisel from Harbor Freight rather inexpensively. That would probably be a lot better than using a screwdriver. Eek! I do, however, aplaud your ingenuity. Laughing Out Loud

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually the screwdriver works pretty well. I thought about going to the hardware store and getting a chisel, but I live like 30 miles from any town and I only had a little time to work on it so I just grabbed the screwdriver with the finest head I could find and went to town. I'm using poplar, which is soft enough that it works pretty well. I would probibly have it finished if I hadn't tryed to be too fancy with the fuller. I tryed to match the fuller full-length down the blade, which is just too difficult. Now I am going to do what Aaron did and have like a 1 inch bumb at the mouth that fits into the fuller instead.

Thanks for the tip though, next time I prolly will use an actual chisel.

Kenton
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be curious to see how it looks. I think I can handle the wood-working part, but I'm unsure about the leather and attaching the chape, and the suspension...so I think overall it'll end up costing just a bit more, but be a lot easier and better looking, if I just have Mr. Ellis do it Happy I'll probably hop onto his waiting list for my Crecy sometime, but I'm saving for a computer right now, and saving for France in a month, so funds are officially not available. Big Grin
Eric L.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You should try to make a scabbard yourself its allot of fun and you have the satisfaction at the end.
Its not so difficult as you might think.
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric L. wrote:
You should try to make a scabbard yourself its allot of fun and you have the satisfaction at the end.
Its not so difficult as you might think.

I agree. I'm enjoying the challenge. When I'm finished, I figure even if I don't have the worlds prettiest, or best fitting scabbard, at least I have something to store my Gaddhjalt in durring travel. If this one doesn't suit me, my next one will be better. When I finally get it "right" then I will have something that I can take pride in. I recommend giving it a shot.

Kenton

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Scabbard.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic