Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Schiavona by Cold Steel. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Schiavona by Cold Steel.         Reply with quote

Saw this over at the other place, thought people here might found it interesting. Happy

From what I gathered, it's not yet in production, though I could be wrong. I couldn't find it on Cold Steel's website.

http://www.neverunarmed.com/new_products/pages/88HBH.htm
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow, i actually like that vary much. I looked at the rest too, they seem to have some pretty cool looking stuff coming out. thanx for the post!
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Cold Steel offering looks interesting, and depending on the price point, might be an attractive buy. I would like to see the details of the basket construction - I can't quite tell from the picture in the link provided by Thomas. I am also disappointed that the sword doesn't have the typical "cat's head" pommel.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't like it at all. It's completely non-historical in proportion and detail. I'm thrilled to see them producing more products, though, especially tackling the schiavona.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I don't like it at all. It's completely non-historical in proportion and detail. I'm thrilled to see them producing more products, though, especially tackling the schiavona.

This was my exact line of thought. I personally really dislike it, but like Nathan, I'm glad to see them attempting to expand, and hopefully they will start having more and more options.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

I'm trying to hold my judgement before I see more pics, for all we know this is a prototype, not a finished product. But sofar, I have to agree with Nathan. The effort to make a production-schiavona is very much appreciated, but the sword itself seems very much lacking.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It has a very mass produced, modern air about it, smooth and machined. I don't care for it. I wonder how much it weighs? I bet that, like the MRL version, it doesn't have a thumb ring.

Here's hoping for a mark II version.
Mark Morris

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the Cold Steel Scottish Basket Hilt Broadsword and I regret buying it (it was my first sword). The basket is improperly formed in one place. The blade's edge is very badly done.
From the picture, the basket on this new sword looks very cheap as well.
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Seems Cold Steel is branching out!         Reply with quote

....this is also from that site...the Cold Steel "Brooklyn Smasher"!

Not sure if it's completely made of steel or not, it would be pretty heavy!

Attachment: 11.75 KB
Image1.gif

Eric L.

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don`t like it very much..it looks cheap.

Maybe it will change as you say Thomas, if its a prototype.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That schiavona looks as if more thought went into making it inexpensive than into making it look good, or historically correct.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We now know that the sword is no longer a pre-production version but had made it to their final line-up.

http://www.coldsteel.com/88hbh.html

They are, however, not calling it a schiavona -- and I guess that's a good thing. The bad thing is that they're saying it is "loosely modeled on English Broadswords of the 17th and 18th centuries". I'd love to see what English baskets they used for inspiration. My hunch, and it's complete speculation, is they attempted to create a schiavona and upon being disappointed with the results, found another name for it. That's a pretty critical assessment, however. Regardless, I am not impressed by the final product at all.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric L.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe they read this thread and then thought lets call it something else. Wink
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric L. wrote:
Maybe they read this thread and then thought lets call it something else. Wink

But the something else they chose is "Horsman's Basket Hilt Broadsword" (sic). I am no expert, but I had the impression that the horseman's basket hilt had that name due a particular feature in the basket - namely, an opening on the inside of the basket that enabled the horseman to hold both the reins and the sword, like this one, and this one.
Nathan's hunch that
Quote:
...they attempted to create a schiavona and upon being disappointed with the results, found another name for it.
makes a lot of sense to me. I am glad that they at least tried to make a schiavona.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Shawn Mulock

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Nathan, I'm not too sure about that blade, it seems... wrong compared to the actual ones I have handled. It seems that they overemphasized the lenticular cross section and added fullering. The antiques I have handled had very subtle lenticular cross sections and no fullering whatsoever. Also, what is the deal with the cross thingy in front of the basket? If anything, on the antiques I have handled the cross was inside the cage and was generally a simple, short cross of no great size.

Of course, before I can pass judgement on its performance, I would have to handle one.

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
George Doby

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

cold Steels swords seem to have a 'modern' style to them. especially on their older types. the zwiehander has too short a blade that makes the whole sword out of proportion. however at least w/ their scottish basket hilt it is better balanced than the MRL irish basket hilt. the gross mescher seems to have too long a grip than should be.
don't quite know what to make of the cross in front of the basket on the schiavonna Question just looks out of place, the blade reminds me more of a scottish than an italian. wait and see what the seconds will go for. the price at S/H is not much under an Albion or A&A and historically correct.

don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things
Matthew K. Shea

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've gotta agree that I don't care for the sword, but I wonder something: is the picture Cold Steel has on their website an actual photograph, or is it a CGI drawing? It looks like it could be CGI to me, so maybe that's a reason why it looks so severe and modern.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew K. Shea wrote:
I've gotta agree that I don't care for the sword, but I wonder something: is the picture Cold Steel has on their website an actual photograph, or is it a CGI drawing? It looks like it could be CGI to me, so maybe that's a reason why it looks so severe and modern.

Looks like a photo to me. It's masked and a badly-created drop shadow is added.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Schiavona by Cold Steel.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic