Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tritonia scabbard by Russ Ellis Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Tritonia scabbard by Russ Ellis         Reply with quote

Just received my scabbard for my Albion Tritonia that I ordered from Russ Ellis and it looks real good.

Russ made it using his own Tritonia to get the fit for the scabbard: I could have opted to have the Tritonia sent to Russ directly for him from Albion to make the scabbard but I guess I wanted my Tritonia in my hand as soon as possible. Wink

This was a risk, but a small risk as Albion is very consistent in the dimensions of it's swords: I would think twice about it with another brand that may have more variation from sword to sword of the same model.

The good news is that the fit is perfect. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The whole ordering / designing process was very enjoyable and efficient. All my E-Mails were promptly replied to.

After a bit of back and forth where I suggested a theme, the Wolf, I just let Russ do his thing un-micromanaged and he did a great job. The whole process from first contact to finish was about 7 weeks.

The main Wolf metal decoration is much more 3D than what the Picts suggest and looks real good. There are also some tiny wolves heads accents on the belt.

I do have other scabbards that are just meant for storage mostly and one from Albion for my Sovereign that is nice but just a campaign scabbard: This is my first custom scabbard and it is a shame that scabbards are often seen as money that could have been better spent on another sword, because a good and attractive scabbard enhances the look of the sword and is part of the whole package.

Russ supplied me with some Picts as I don't have a digital camera yet so that is why there are no shots of the sword in scabbard. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Attachment: 53.73 KB
WolfCup01.jpg

Attachment: 63.18 KB
WolfCup2.jpg

Attachment: 53.99 KB
[ Download ]

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice Jean...guess you could say the Tritonia is a wolf in wolf's clothing. Congrats on a nice scabbard, also, nice work Russ!

Kenton
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That's one of the nicest looking scabbards I've ever seen! Surprised
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton Spaulding wrote:
Nice Jean...guess you could say the Tritonia is a wolf in wolf's clothing. Congrats on a nice scabbard, also, nice work Russ!

Kenton

Thanks Kenton, Edward, If Jean doesn't post them, I'll put up some pictures of the scabbard where you can see the suspension a little better later. The suspension is not one that I've seen on any other modern scabbards (although someone may have done it somewhere) but one that I copied from a couple of brasses and an effigy. More on that later....

As a side note Jean was a pleasure to work with as well. Good communication throughout and prompt payment... the perfect customer really. Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

I checked and those Picts that got to me don't include details of the suspension system. ( For everybody else F.Y.I. some of the Picts Russ sent got bounced by my internet provider because my IN box was too full at the time and since i had the Picts I needed and Russ doesn't have high speed internet, resending would have been time consuming for him. )

So, Russ feel free to post any Picts that will illustrate what you want to show about the suspension system.

I will enjoy the info and learning more about my scabbard as I haven't studied the subject much so far. Cool

Oh, the books you sent are very interesting. Big Grin And in perfect shape. ( Bought some Osprey books from Russ, again F.Y.I. )

Also, thanks for the compliments and right back at you. Razz Laughing Out Loud Your communications were also very clear and your accepting the money very prompt also. Razz Razz Razz ( Joke, couldn't resist. Cool Big Grin )

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Russ;

... and your accepting the money very prompt also. Razz Razz Razz ( Joke, couldn't resist. Cool Big Grin )

Lol yes I'm usually very prompt with that sort of thing...

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just supplemental about the fit of the scabbard.

The fit is snug but in no way tight: No forcing needed to seat the blade in and not much more than a light tug to pull the sword out. If held upside down the sword stays in the scabbard and only falls out with a sharp but not excessive up and down shake and sudden stop.

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

I'm going to have to repeat my comment from a previous post:

Aaaah, it's so cute!

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson;

Yeah, cute. Sad I was going for scary Evil ............ Cool

The lighting on it is a bit too frontal, a bit of side lighting would bring out the 3D ness of it better: A full 3D head not a low relief by the way.

Oh, and thanks .......... I guess. Wink

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay here are a couple of more pictures. I found this particular suspension system a bit more interesting to do. It was influenced by several sources. The most prominent is the brass of Sir Roger de Trumpington, Trumpington Cambs, c 1326. Also the brass of Sir Robert de Bures, Church of all Saints, Acton Suffolk circa 1331. A simialar scabbard is also found on the effigy of Sir William FitzRalf, Pebmarsh, Essex c 1335. Having said that I have to admit that the suspension is my interpretation. That's really a huge problem when looking at pictures of effigies and brasses... that is what is on the back side of the scabbard? In this case I did what I could see on the front side and then used what I hope was a logical process and a little experience to come up with a good solution for what the "hidden" parts of the suspension would look like. I can't say for sure that the hidden part matches what the original would have been like, however it does provide a secure suspension and I believe it is probably correct.

Attachment: 28.18 KB
100_1150.bJPG.JPG

Attachment: 26.25 KB
100_1151b.JPG

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Juts for fun, here is the Trumpington brass (and attached below):

And the de Bures:

Attachment: 27.03 KB
trumpington-37pc.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a closeup of the Trumpington Brass's scabbard suspension.

Attachment: 103.81 KB
trump2.JPG

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ and/or Jean,
Is that Tritonia rig left-handed or are my eyes going bad?

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great Picts: Hmmmmmmm ...... This gives me and idea what to do with the belt after it is bucked. Pass it behind the scabbard to the other side of the sword / scabbard before pushing it behind the belt. As the belt is very long to accommodate wearing over armour it is very very long just over a gambison: Worn this way a lot of the extra length is taken up going to the other side and avoids having the end of the belt close to near your ankles if just left to dangle from the buckle. Laughing Out Loud ( Exaggerating a bit. Razz )

This is sort of like someone in the 30th century doing early 20th century living history and having no idea about how to knot a necktie. Eek!

Funny how seeing a different Tritonia in a Pict makes me fall in love with it all over again. Razz Cool

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's very nice Big Grin

I had a simalar idea but with a boar instead of a wolf. The braided wire is an excellent touch.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Russ and/or Jean,
Is that Tritonia rig left-handed or are my eyes going bad?

Thanks for posting the pictures Chad, and yes you are correct this thing is left handed. I VERY nearly built it as a right handed rig. Fortunately I went back and checked my worklist one more time before getting started on the suspension. It would have been a gigantic pain to have to redo it.

Jean, absolutely, I'm sorry I should have mentioned that to you. Having all that extra belt strap was by design as per the pictures posted above.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

No problem, it's all part of the learning process and actually " LOOKING " at the original sources rather than casually glancing at them.

But the extra length does now seem like a + aesthetically rather than a practical nuisance. Laughing Out Loud

Yup, very left handed. Razz ( Chad: As Russ mentioned before I saw your post )

Funny, I think I recently saw original period artwork where a Knight has his shield on the right side like a left hander would use. ( Proof of left handed Knight. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin No, probably proof of an artist's GOOF. Razz )( If I see it again I will give a reference to it in a post. )

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...Yup, very left handed. Razz ( Chad: As Russ mentioned before I saw your post )

Funny, I think I recently saw original period artwork where a Knight has his shield on the right side like a left hander would use. ( Proof of left handed Knight. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin No, probably proof of an artist's GOOF. Razz )

Hmmm. Very sinister. I imagine such a Knight (and you, as well, were you transported back in time) would not be looked upon with kindness. Eek!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve;

You're right and the only way to get away with being left handed would be being a best friend of a King and / or the best scariest swordsman warrior around. Evil Laughing Out Loud

If I could rub Aladdin's lamp and get 3 wishes I guess if one of the wishes was a time machine, the second wish would be to be the most skilful and strongest swordsman possible and lastly being an immortal of the Highlander kind. Razz Laughing Out Loud

No need for the time machine to come back to the present: Would only have to live through the 800 years or so. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

If you're going to fantasize might as well fantasize BIG ! Wink

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tritonia scabbard by Russ Ellis
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic