Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A request to industry professionals. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: A request to industry professionals.         Reply with quote

I am thinking about changing the behaviors of the "Makers and Manufacturers Talk" forum by allowing only industry professionals to start new topics. Any other registered user can post responses, but each new topic could only be started by a person in the industry. This will limit this board's purpose to that of promotions and customer service, and stop all the confusion as to what this forum's purpose is.

Additionally, I'm thinking of offering special services only available to industry professionals: including makers, manufacturers, and vendors of products related to arms and armour.

If you are an industry professional in a field related to the arms and armour community, you may already be added to a new usergroup I have set up. Please take the time to look at the Industry Professionals usergroup and join if you are not already in it.

To join: click on the usergroups button above, then select the "industry professionals" group and ask to join. (Or click this direct link).

You may receive a private message asking about your role as an industry professional before being accepted to the group.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A request to industry professionals.         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I am thinking about changing the behaviors of the "Makers and Manufacturers Talk" forum by allowing only industry professionals to start new topics. Any other registered user can post responses, but each new topic could only be started by a person in the industry. This will limit this board's purpose to that of promotions and customer service, and stop all the confusion as to what this forum's purpose is.
[/size]

Since no one else has said anything, it may be that this is not up for debate, but the "I am thinking of doing this" way of announcing it makes me think that you are open for thoughts.

So essentially it will be as it is now, but will take away the " We as members of the forum are encouraged to ask questions of the makers in this forum when we feel the answers may benefit others in the community" definition of the forum. Is that right?

If so, I myself would be sad to see that change. It's your forum, Nathan, and you should do what you want with it. But I will say that I like the fact that people have a place to go to ask questions of makers and manufacturers, which can publicly raise other questions that some may not have even known that they have. Plus, some people may be hesitant to ask a maker or manufacturer a direct question (i.e. an e-mail or call to that party) if they don't intend to buy anything right away. This gives them an opportunity to do some research sans a feeling of guilt for asking questions without an immediate purchase in mind.

My two cents, not that you actually asked for it. Laughing Out Loud

Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hadn't really thought to much about it till just now reading Amys post but she makes a good point . It would remove
a vehicle for just plain asking "how was this done " or "how did you do this" thats can be a valueable source
of knowledge all around . Guess thats about 1/2 a cent compaired to Amy's but collectively we're up to 2 1/2 cents .
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

People's questions would simply be put in another forum if we go this route. They would also be put as a response to existing posts by makers. They simply would not be able to start their own posts in this forum.

If we went this route, this forum would then be dedicated to press releases, announcements, etc, from industry professionals. Everybody would be welcome to participate in the posted topics, but they would not be allowed to post new topics (only responses).

I haven't decided to do this. I'm just getting frustrated by the amount of misplaced topics posted in this forum. Despite a very good description for the forum and a comprehensive top post, people keep thinking this forum is meant to discuss reproductions. I move a lot of posts from here to the Historic Arms Talk forum each week.

But, as I also said, I am going to be adding other things only availble to industry professionals. This issue isn't limited to the possibility of changing the way this particular forum works.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Amy. We would still encourage people to ask questions of industry pros, but we'd allow them to do it in the other forums.. since it's happening there now any way. Often these types of quesitons lead to good conversations that are beyond the original "customer service" type of issue that started it.. a very good thing.

This would limit this particular forum to be more oriented to press releases, sales, and promotions. And this would also allow those members who are uninterested in reading these things to pass them by.

Keep the opinions coming. It's all good.

Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan

Initially I was just going to agree with Amy's first post, but the more I've read of your reasoning, I kinda like it. It likely would mean more traffic on the Historic Arms forum, but its not like that forum is over-run with traffic right now.

Personally I check here at least twice a day. If a question is posted on the Off Topic forum, or the Historic Arms forum, I'll find it.

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I agree with Amy. We would still encourage people to ask questions of industry pros, but we'd allow them to do it in the other forums.. since it's happening there now any way. Often these types of quesitons lead to good conversations that are beyond the original "customer service" type of issue that started it.. a very good thing.

This would limit this particular forum to be more oriented to press releases, sales, and promotions. And this would also allow those members who are uninterested in reading these things to pass them by.

Keep the opinions coming. It's all good.

Well, here's yet another from me. Laughing Out Loud I know that the guys downstairs love to be on here. they're on the forum during the day here at work, as well as at home. Knowing that they pop on in between projects, and do so with haste so they can spend more time on answering when need be rather than on scanning for posts, adding yet another forum for them to check will cut down on the frequency of their answers. Plus, I'd hate to see this become like other sword sites where there are so many forums it's pretty much out of hand. Having the appropriate descriptor in the subject header is pretty much the most important aspect of the posts... more so than making sure that there are forums for every possible subject.

I still stick with my desire for this forum to stay as it is, but as always, it's your home Nathan - do what you think best! We'll all stand behind any decision you make. I just wanted to get some thoughts in from the "user trenches" as it were. Happy

With my respect and admiration!
Amy

Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A request to industry professionals.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic