Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Feb 20: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
66%
 66%  [ 28 ]
Very Good
26%
 26%  [ 11 ]
Good
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Feb 20: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Jiří Klepač Late-14th Century Hourglass Gauntlets

A hands-on review by Michael P. Smith

Armour and Castings Gothic Finger Gauntlets

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Lewis Moore 14th Century Hourglass Gauntlets

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Lewis Moore 14th Century Hourglass Gauntlets

Added to Chad's Collection

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading up on the gauntlets, and found it very interesting to compare the reviews of similar products from three different artisans.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I liked it too. I like that an entire update is devoted to one small piece of armor. It is good to see reviews of armor. Very nice, thanks to the authors.

Kenton
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting and useful article and good to have comparisons of gauntlets made at various levels of quality and usability.

I look forward to similar article covering other pieces of armour.

As much as I appreciate all the sword reviews it's really nice to see a wider range of subjects covered as armour and the previous one on Rondel daggers.

Some pole arms reviews would be very interesting also. ( I realize that many articles are still in the early planning stage and I am just mentioning what I would like to see in my wish list. And thanks for all the work involved by the team and Nathan. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
I really enjoyed reading up on the gauntlets, and found it very interesting to compare the reviews of similar products from three different artisans.

I would concur with Steve on this, you guys did a great job.

A question for Michael (if you don't mind me asking, I saw the prices on the other gauntlets):
In general how much were the custom Jiří Klepač Hourglass Gauntlets??
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad everyone likes the update. I was so impressed with the Lewis Moore gauntlets after editing Bill's review that I bought my own pair. Lewis was great to work with. For anyone interested in more of Lewis's work, he sells items frequently on Ebay (though he does commissions, too): http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZthe_templar_knightQQhtZ-1

Jean wrote:
Some pole arms reviews would be very interesting also. ( I realize that many articles are still in the early planning stage and I am just mentioning what I would like to see in my wish list. And thanks for all the work involved by the team and Nathan. )

Jean,
There will be some of those items in the future. We're trying. Happy Hearing people's wish lists is always fun, but our wish list is already pretty extensive (hundreds of concepts). Once again, we don't lack ideas, just people to act on them. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like gauntlets, thanks for the reviews!

If you don't need an article by a particular date, send me a subject and I'll see what I can do to research it.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
I really like gauntlets, thanks for the reviews!

If you don't need an article by a particular date, send me a subject and I'll see what I can do to research it.

Addison,
Typically articles take a few months to go from authoring to production. The articles published today weren't written in the last few weeks. Happy We don't set dates for authors, we ask them to do that.

If you're interested in authoring, please check out the info here and contact us via the instructions there.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad;

Quote:

Jean,
There will be some of those items in the future. We're trying. Happy Hearing people's wish lists is always fun, but our wish list is already pretty extensive (hundreds of concepts). Once again, we don't lack ideas, just people to act on them. Happy

Oh, I'm already lined up to do some drawings in photoshop for Nathan as soon as he sends me the info / Picts I need to do it and I could also do drawings of some future Pollarms feature if Nathan needs any drawings for those projects. Big Grin ( Gotta earn that contributor title, usergroups, next to my name! So far I've only done a few test drawings.)

So I'm not just wishing I also volunteered! Razz Cool Laughing Out Loud

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Chad;
Oh, I'm already lined up to do some drawings in photoshop for Nathan as soon as he sends me the info / Picts I need to do it and I could also do drawings of some future Pollarms feature if Nathan needs any drawings for those projects. Big Grin ( Gotta earn that contributor title, usergroups, next to my name! So far I've only done a few test drawings.)

So I'm not just wishing I also volunteered! Razz Cool Laughing Out Loud

Jean,
I'm well aware of your volunteering (if you'll notice, I'm the admin of that usergoup Happy). Your illustrating help will be very valuable and we are grateful. We still do need authors, though. I wasn't speaking just to you. Happy Most topics people wish to see wriiten about have been thought of already and are likely on our huge wish list. I'm just trying to remind people that we need authors much more than we need ideas. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad;

Oh, and I was trying to also show that there are more than one way to offer help and I was also sort of not just talking to you and sending a general message.

And it is true that I want to EARN the collaborators title I will feel more confortable with the title when I have sent in finished work it just feels premature now. Big Grin ( O.K. my insecurities are showing. Cool Laughing Out Loud )

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, a welcome to new author Michael P. Smith. Nice job! Working with you was nice and easy. Thanks!
Happy

ChadA

David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys for this excellent update ! The hourglass gauntlets have always been my favorite ones. I already knew Jiri Klepac's site, but this review is giving more light on his work.

Cheers,

David
Michael P Smith

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen Miller wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

I would concur with Steve on this, you guys did a great job.

A question for Michael (if you don't mind me asking, I saw the prices on the other gauntlets):
In general how much were the custom Jiří Klepač Hourglass Gauntlets??

Hi Helen,

I don't mind giving cost info. I didn't include cost in the review for a couple reasons:

1) These were the first gautlets at this level of detail done by Mr. Klepac. I didn't want to give the impression that there was a "standard" price for these gaunts. These were very much a custom comission. The next set might be cheaper (now that he's worked out the kinks), or more expensive (now that he knows how much work they REALLY take).

2) The extreme volatility at the time of the U.S. Dollar. Jiri quoted his prices in Czeck currency, and what that meant in US$ varied considerable over the life of the project.

With those caveats out of the way, the gaunts cost US$780 including shipping from the Czeck Republic. I thought the price very reasonable considering the quality, level of detail, and custom fit.

Michael
Michael P Smith

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Also, a welcome to new author Michael P. Smith. Nice job! Working with you was nice and easy. Thanks!

Thanks Chad!

I really enjoyed doing it, and I look forward to doing more reviews in future.

Michael
Helen Miller

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael P Smith wrote:

I don't mind giving cost info. I didn't include cost in the review for a couple reasons:

1) These were the first gautlets at this level of detail done by Mr. Klepac. I didn't want to give the impression that there was a "standard" price for these gaunts. These were very much a custom comission. The next set might be cheaper (now that he's worked out the kinks), or more expensive (now that he knows how much work they REALLY take).

2) The extreme volatility at the time of the U.S. Dollar. Jiri quoted his prices in Czeck currency, and what that meant in US$ varied considerable over the life of the project.

With those caveats out of the way, the gaunts cost US$780 including shipping from the Czeck Republic. I thought the price very reasonable considering the quality, level of detail, and custom fit.

Michael

Understandibly, thanks for the information!

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Feb 20: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic