Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword drawings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Sword drawings         Reply with quote

I was on the forums today and I read what Peter Johnsson said about how important it is to draw swords when someone is trying to make them. Even though I am certainly not a swordmaker I still constantly find myself making drawings of interesting sword concepts I have in my mind as well as some existing antiques and repros. Every day in biology class I sit in the back of the room drawing swords and scabbards while the teacher talks. I was just wondering if there are other forumites who enjoy drawing swords and would like to show some stuff they have drawn. I would love to see some of other peoples ideas, especially amateurs like myself. It doesn't have to be limited to swords either. Shields, axes, polearms, daggers or anything else are welcome too and don't worry about it not being good enough.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lemme put it this way: I use up several notebooks per year of lectures, yet hardly ever write a single line of text.

I'm lucky that I'm studying Media Arts, so that it's not entirely a waste of time... Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sword drawings         Reply with quote

Shae Bishop wrote:
Every day in biology class I sit in the back of the room drawing swords and scabbards while the teacher talks

Just in biology class? Laughing Out Loud
I do this in every single class except calculus; the margins of most of my tests, notes, and assigments are filled with polearms, swords, scabbards, shields, helmets, etc...it helps me think I guess...or reveals what I'd rather be doing Big Grin
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well here's the thing, unless you're going to make drawing a profession, doing that instead of paying attention in class will probably just make it that much harder to ever do anything but draw swords and such. Worried
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Well here's the thing, unless you're going to make drawing a profession, doing that instead of paying attention in class will probably just make it that much harder to ever do anything but draw swords and such. Worried

Which is why I am in such a fortunate position. Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sketched, with pen, a page of swords and armour loosely from the 13th to the 15th century for my Canterbury Tales class. Everything was done without a reference, and the drawings at times reflect this. This semester, in Images of Death in Late Medieval Literature, I have the same prof, and we happen to be in one of the room used by the education department. The sink in the classroom has several large blocks of clay there for use in projects by education students. So, during class, I've moulded a ring of rivetted maille, and a sword that was fairly similar to the Sempach in shape.

In some classes, one has enough time to do this sort of thing. English classes, for instance, often give one enough time to jump back and forth. For classes in History, I wouldn't want to be messing around drawing or playing with clay. There's simply too much information coming at you.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

I'm maintaining a high average in 5 AP classes, and to keep my grades good I can't really afford not to pay attention in class. Just because I'm drawing it doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. Wink
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword drawings         Reply with quote

Shae Bishop wrote:
I was on the forums today and I read what Peter Johnsson said about how important it is to draw swords when someone is trying to make them... I was just wondering if there are other forumites who enjoy drawing swords and would like to show some stuff they have drawn. I would love to see some of other peoples ideas, especially amateurs like myself...

Hi Shae...

Not sure how we got onto the educational implications of drawing in class WTF?! when the real core of the thread, as I see it at least, is drawing swords anywhere. I think it would be fascinating to see some examples of forumite doodling art. Here are a few of my own to get things started.

ks

Attachment: 67.54 KB
OverallTrendWeb.jpg

Attachment: 80.82 KB
OverallTrend2Web.jpg

Attachment: 89.88 KB
OverallTrend3Web.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And a few more...

ks

Attachment: 75.96 KB
BogSwordCeltoRomanWeb.jpg

Attachment: 77.44 KB
BogSwordLaTeneWeb.jpg

Attachment: 75.15 KB
CanopenerSwordWeb.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Which is why I am in such a fortunate position. Big Grin

Excellent planning! Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

I'm maintaining a high average in 5 AP classes, and to keep my grades good I can't really afford not to pay attention in class. Just because I'm drawing it doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. Wink

You appear to be far better at juggling than I am then. Blush

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
In some classes, one has enough time to do this sort of thing. English classes, for instance, often give one enough time to jump back and forth. For classes in History, I wouldn't want to be messing around drawing or playing with clay. There's simply too much information coming at you.

Are you kidding? History is the one place I could goof off. I made chain mail while sitting in Medieval History. The teacher didn't care as I was not disturbing other students, and we both knew I could have taught most of the class.

Kirk,

Those are some pretty good drawings. I'm not much of and artist, but I find that I like to use graphing paper as well. It helps me to draw straight lines (and gives me a reference for the curved ones) and can be usefull for maintaining correct proportions. Maybe I should pick up some graphing paper and start doodling again...

Is that a Swiss Army sword in the last picture? I notice there is something in the handle labeled as "corkscrew."

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

Is that a Swiss Army sword in the last picture? I notice there is something in the handle labeled as "corkscrew."

-Grey

Hey Grey...

That was an idea for a Swiss Mercenary Army Sword. A sword designed for fighting an opponent in full plate armour. The tip would be twisted into a drill bit for boring through the breast plate. It also would have tin snips at the end of each quillon. There is a saw blade on the back edge (some later hangers had this feature)... a large bottle opener feature for prying off the helm... a oversized can opener in the forte... maybe a fold-out rondel for the grip... and of course a corkscrew, toothpick and tiny tweezers. The pommel would sport the swiss army shield.

I had a Factory X Dracula sword I bought for $35 back when they were selling them off. I thought I would (and still might) modify it into a Swiss Mercenary Army Sword. Would be a fun project.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're crazy, man, but in a good kind of way! Razz

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
The pommel would sport the swiss army shield.

I have to ask; Victrinox or Wegner? (It's my understanding that both can lay claim to being "official," though I don't know which is the "original.")

-Grey

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

Are you kidding? History is the one place I could goof off. I made chain mail while sitting in Medieval History. The teacher didn't care as I was not disturbing other students, and we both knew I could have taught most of the class.

No, I'm not kidding. I could get away with it in History of Medieval England this semester, since we aren't actually being tested on the lecture material. But I still want to pay attention to it anyways, even in the cases where I do know the information already. And certainly, in Early Modern History, I spent far too much time writing and trying to listen to the prof to have had a spare moment to sketch or make maille.
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:

I have to ask; Victrinox or Wegner? (It's my understanding that both can lay claim to being "official," though I don't know which is the "original.")

-Grey

Whichever one is on my Swiss army knife... I think it is a shield with a cross.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

I get a kick out of picturing a set of tables and a teacher talking, and one student bent over the table with a pair of pliers, jump rings, and an expression of intent concentration riveted on his face.
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

I get a kick out of picturing a set of tables and a teacher talking, and one student bent over the table with a pair of pliers, jump rings, and an expression of intent concentration riveted on his face.

If only there had been more riveting on the mail, and less "riveted" on my face. And to be fair, that only happened for the two days of class of class that covered the Hundred Year's War (which, even at that time was my area of interest). That said, yes, it was pretty much as you described. I was even in the front row. (I like the second seat back in the second row from the teacher's right, but that seat was taken during that class, so I moved one forward.) It was right after the above mentioned class that I recomended the teacher read Arthur Conan Doyle's The White Company, but I made the mistake of mentioning that it was published by a childrens' publisher.

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
wrote:

-Grey

Whichever one is on my Swiss army knife... I think it is a shield with a cross.

The Wenger (mispelled it previously) knives have a cross inside of a rectangle/square which has rounded corners. Victrinox knives have a cross inside a more complex renaissance-type shield. Both are, at least to my understanding, licensed maunfactuers of "Swiss Army" knives (in the same way that both Colt and Fabrique Nationale make M16's), but I think that Victrinox tends to make the better quality knives. The last bit is just my opinion, of course.

-Grey

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Sun 19 Feb, 2006 8:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

If only there had been more riveting on the mail, and less "riveted" on my face.

Oh, you liked my word-choice too? Big Grin
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, you liked my word-choice too? Big Grin

Yes, I did like your choice of words. I was making maile of butted rings that also happened to be oversized at the time. Ironiclly, I have learned a lot more from myArmoury.com than I did form that class. Of course, myArmoury.com has a narrower focus...

I suppose I should contribute to this thread, rather than just participating in it. With that end in mind, here is the only sword drawing I have had time for (it is almost a year old). Unfortunately, there is a lot more time for drawing as a student than there is as an NCO. This drawing was done right after the update that included Jason Dingeldine's interpretation of the type XVI sword in the Copenhagen Museum. I have always liked that sword, and I stole the pommel from it for this drawing. My opinion on guard shapes has changed a bit since then, but I stilll think that the sword as drawn would be a decent piece even if somewhat awkward looking.

-Grey

P.S. The measurement listed on this drawing are intended to be theoretical only. Do not place too much credit on them. And, as you might notice, I do not have a scanner, so you'll have to make due with a digital photo for now.

Attachment: 20.06 KB
brown drawing1.JPG

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword drawings
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: