Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Light Sparring gloves? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Light Sparring gloves?         Reply with quote

http://www.revivalclothing.com/catpages/cat_paddedgloves.htm

anyone seen or heard anything about these? why black or red? cant anyone have a natural color?

worth the 40 bucks?
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They're a little heavier duty than typical padded fencing gloves, but not much more. They're good for things such as shinai, or for drilling with heavier weapons that might accidently bump your hands harder than you'd like. They're not good for full speed bouting with anything much heavier than a shinai, though.

They're excellent for rapier, as I get the occassional cut to the back of the hand in which case the padding is nice, but at the same time they're light and flexible enough not to impede the movement of the fingers.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Light Sparring gloves?         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
worth the 40 bucks?

Oh, forgot to say: Yes, assuming you're aware of the limitations listed above. Considering a typical padded saber glove is $20 for just the one hand.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They won't help much if you get smacked by a wooden waster either. I think I tossed mine after the first day at practice.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ah ok hehehe if ther eno good with wood then steel would be right out? heheheh
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
ah ok hehehe if ther eno good with wood then steel would be right out? heheheh

Oh, yeah, out of the question for steel. You need at least lacrosse gloves, if not steel gauntlets.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well padded mitens will do; We use mittens with 3-4 layers of woolen carpet as padding...
alternately, you can use hardened leather, stitched to gloves, with one or two layers of carpet underneath.
You can also make a miten shaped padding, and stitch it to a regular glove.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Light Sparring gloves?         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
http://www.revivalclothing.com/catpages/cat_paddedgloves.htm

anyone seen or heard anything about these? why black or red? cant anyone have a natural color?

worth the 40 bucks?

My group has been using them for a while. We find they are very good for controlled sparring with wasters and blunts. The dexterity is decent although there is a break in period. I'm waiting for their armoured gauntlets next Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been wondering about these gloves for a while, too.

What about for full-force, full-contact sparring with padded weapons (such as those used by ARMA)? Would you judge these gloves to be sufficient, or lacking?
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Allen wrote:
I've been wondering about these gloves for a while, too.

What about for full-force, full-contact sparring with padded weapons (such as those used by ARMA)? Would you judge these gloves to be sufficient, or lacking?

Basically anything like that is fine. Even controlled bouting with heavier weapons, as Gary mentioned, where it will protect against incidental contact, is fine. But they won't protect against a hard direct hit with a wooden waster, aluminum or steel blunts, or anything along those lines. Hence the name "light" sparring gloves.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Alex B.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We've had good experiences with these for our aluminum longswords. They work great for light, incidental hits, and after we've been playing for a few months we tend to expose our hands a lot less. Happy
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex B. wrote:
We've had good experiences with these for our aluminum longswords. They work great for light, incidental hits, and after we've been playing for a few months we tend to expose our hands a lot less. Happy

Really? That surprises me. Mine, as stated above, are not much more protective than saber gloves. I've been wondering if perhaps the current versions are a little thicker? I bought mine right when they were available.

Even with heavier gloves, though, I would hesitate to really strike someone with any degree of intent on the hands using aluminum. In fact, I would intentionally avoid attacking the hands: they're just too fragile.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hands are fragile. My group has been inactive for two months. The instructor broke two knuckles performing a rehearsed drill with wasters when a very respected and internationally well known counterpart that did not perform their part as expected.

Another point on the gloves I recieved, they were ordered and recieved marked as "Large". They were in fact too tight for all adults, women and male alike. This could have been a fluke, but I would be prepared to order extra large and return them if they turned out too loose rather than repeat the mistake of ordering the large size for a very average adult hand.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When it comes to sparring gloves, the DIY ones are often better than the commercially avialiable ones. Especially as you can tailor them to your individual needs.
Our gloves are mostly linen over layered wool, with a leather inside, similar to Kendo kote. They can be made solid enough to allow steel sparring, with hand hits.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are looking for gloves fit for harder sparring, lacrosse gloves are a pretty good choice.

No "appropriate" look at all, but very good protection and far less movement restriction than plate gauntlets.
ProLax has some pretty good ones. Just give it a try.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Light Sparring gloves?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic