Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Article on swordtesting on MRL. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Article on swordtesting on MRL.         Reply with quote

[url]http://www.museumreplicas.com/WebStore/GenPage.aspx?srcPage=/StaticPages/swordtest.htm&pgTitle=Hank's%20Swords%20Test&ActionSource=LINK:18[/url]

Just stumbled over this article over at MRL. I thought there might be some people over here who would like to read it.
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this article Thomas. It was very interesting, I'm just in awe how that blade is bent.
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I surpised me too that the MRL sword could flex that much and turn back to true.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled quite a few MRL swords, and I actually think they make quite good blades in terms of durability and heat treatment. Most of the newer ones are also really well shaped with a pretty nice finish.

The biggest concerns I have on MRL pieces are the hilt components, which not only tend to look a little chinzy, but I sometimes notice right away that there is some play inside the grip, or I hear a scraping noise inside it when I make a hard cut into the air. This hasn't been true for every piece, and I really do think they are a good value for what they are, but you definately want to inspect any piece thoroughly that you receive from them.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder what the neighbors think of Hank wandering about the front yard sword in hand. Happy I tend to keep my own swordy tendencies a bit more low key, although I think that darned mailman is on to me...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I tend to keep my own swordy tendencies a bit more low key

Where's the fun in that? I know you have kids, but I'm not sure of their gender. If you have daughters, advertising your swordyness might pay off a bit in the future... Laughing Out Loud

-Grey

Disclaimer: just to keep things from getting carried away, I do not in anyway advocate anyone being irresponsible or behaving inappropriately with their swords, firearms, or anything else. I would like for my hobbies to remain legal.

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, I and a friend went shopping in a regular drugstore after training. Two young men, dressed exactly alike in black pants, army boots, black t-shirts, unbuttoned black shirts, sword and buckler on hip. And oh, a spear.
Wich my friend used to point out wich packet of crackers I should buy.

Big Grin

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

Where's the fun in that? I know you have kids, but I'm not sure of their gender. If you have daughters, advertising your swordyness might pay off a bit in the future... Laughing Out Loud

-Grey

Disclaimer: just to keep things from getting carried away, I do not in anyway advocate anyone being irresponsible or behaving inappropriately with their swords, firearms, or anything else. I would like for my hobbies to remain legal.

Lol well it keeps the neighbors from getting nervous. In suburbia there's all this "officer he chopped my mailbox" and "officer he stabbed my car's tires" or "officer that man with the sharp pointy thing scares me..." Sigh... On the other hand you had better believe that when the boys start showing up I'm going to be polishing and sharpening an assortment of evil looking cutlery when they arrive. Grrrrr boys.... Mad You man NOT touch my daughter... not if you want to keep that appendage. (draw your own conclusions about which appendage)

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They say the worst thing about beeing a man is having daughters, and knowing that they at some point will be 17, and meet boys that are like YOU where when you where 17....

We KNOW what they are up to.... Bastards

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that's very interesting. Has anybody done this sort of thing with Peter's sword from the Chronicle of Narnina? I really like the beefy look that sword has, maybe because it makes me think of Angus Trim's 1433.

Alex Ren

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting article, although it reads a bit more like a casual advertisment at times than an objective review.

About that objective review. . . Hank, do you have any personal, first-hand comments to add? I think your direct insights would be very beneficial.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Article on swordtesting on MRL.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic